• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I took this Security Six in on a trade about 3-4 months ago and it sported a 2-3/4" barrel. I did the transaction in the rain so all I did was give it a quick glance over and checked the lock-up. All seemed good! Locked up tight and the outside appearence looked really good so I figured "it's a Ruger, I'm sure it is fine."

Well sure enough, I got her home and after about 3 mintues of cycling the action in SA, I heard a pop and the whole thing locked up with the hammer stuck about halfway back. Fist suspition was a a botched trigger job because this puppy had the silkiest trigger I had ever felt. So, I tore her apart and wolla, all sorts of nasty looking stone marks and what not on the hammer engagement surfaces. I had a new hammer in the mail a few days later via Numrich and problem solved! Or so I thought...

Got ready to take her to the range and gave a good cleaning. It was then I noticed a very apparent line semi-circumferentially about an 1/8th in into the forcing cone. Looked at it closer and figured it was some sort of scratch. I thought this was a little odd. Took it to the range and put about 20 round through it. Took it home cleaned it out and holy jeez that little "scratch" turned into a crater!

Got on the phone with Ruger and they said to send her in. Shortly after, I packed the box and sent her on her way. I got a phone call a week later and was asked by the nice lady at Ruger if I want a 4" or 6" barrel because they were out of the 2-3/4's and this baby needed a replacement. I said give it a 4! Well, about 7-8 weeks had passed and the package finally arrived. Took the revolver out of the box and swear I had a brand new 4" Security Six! Gun was completely refinished, barrel replaced, old aluminum rear sight replaced with a new steel one (was given back the old one too) and the lock up was the tighest I have ever felt on a revolver! And best of all... No charge!!

Thank you Ruger! Just one of the 1000+ reasons Ruger is my favorite gun maker!

ss3.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss2.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Reps for the post!

Great turn-out to a potentially bad situation. Glad to hear Ruger stands behind their products.

BTW- that's a BEAUTIFUL "used" gun!

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I love Rugers myself though I only have the LCP myself right now. Glad to hear that Ruger took care of you on that. Fine looking gun and I bet it'll be a great long time shooter for you.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Good for Ruger!

As for the gun... wow! I still think the Security Six is a better gun than the GP100, and that one is basically brand new. What a beauty!

Trade you my .22 rifle for it :D

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Great addition to your collection.(I believe you posted pics of some nice Ruger sixguns)I think if more folks handled and shot more revolvers they would see their over looked merits. Such as, not ammo sensitive, no mags(at $30-50 a pop), etc. Congratulations on a great experience!

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I just think it is amazing that they would give that sort of service for a model that had been discontinued 20+ years ago.

I think everybody should go out and buy themselves a nice Ruger... You all deserve it and so does Ruger!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I just think it is amazing that they would give that sort of service for a model that had been discontinued 20+ years ago.

I think everybody should go out and buy themselves a nice Ruger... You all deserve it and so does Ruger!

Amen, Brother! Saving my:twocents: for a New Vaquero Bisley:draw:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    A buddy of mine had a similar experience with Ruger. He bought a 3 screw Single Six literally in pieces. He sent it back to Ruger to make whole again. He gets it back in the mail, complete and refinished. Free of charge.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yelp I'm a big Ruger fan! I'm currently looking to add a GP100 to my starting collection. My other 3 Rugers are getting lonely.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Wow.....awesome piece, and somehow that combination of stainless with walnut grips just does it for me. Great customer service and at no charge for a piece that old? Two thumbs way up for Ruger.

Top Bottom