• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    For less than $60 you can have the ultimate survival kit.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Bear-Grylls-Ultimate-Survival-Kit-/120735969755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c6cb1db]Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Kit | eBay[/ame]

I will say, it is better than nothing, but it is not enough. Share with the rest of us what this kit of kits is missing........

Yes, this is a home work assignment!

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    You are right that kit is better than nothing but I would never buy that. It's a bunch of junk piled together with a decent name slapped on it. Just about the only thing I would even use out of it is the case. If your possibly putting your life on the line with the stuff I'd want to know it can withstand being taken out of the package. Have you ever seen a mini multi-tool that was worth anything? And even if it was amazingly made you have a knife with a 1" blade. The wire saw is junk. You can get a pack of hooks, weighs, and swivels for nothing. The signal mirror looked half the size of a credit card, it did however have the sight peep. A whistle, waterproof matches, firesteel, thread, and cottonballs.

Save the money and put one together yourself. Or spend the same amount and get good quality stuff.

This is all IMHO btw feel free to disagree.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    A+ good job student ***

You are right that kit is better than nothing but I would never buy that. It's a bunch of junk piled together with a decent name slapped on it. Just about the only thing I would even use out of it is the case. If your possibly putting your life on the line with the stuff I'd want to know it can withstand being taken out of the package. Have you ever seen a mini multi-tool that was worth anything? And even if it was amazingly made you have a knife with a 1" blade. The wire saw is junk. You can get a pack of hooks, weighs, and swivels for nothing. The signal mirror looked half the size of a credit card, it did however have the sight peep. A whistle, waterproof matches, firesteel, thread, and cottonballs.

Save the money and put one together yourself. Or spend the same amount and get good quality stuff.

This is all IMHO btw feel free to disagree.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    A frugal person who thought that this kit had all that needed could still take the package, from where ever you find it for sale, ie Gander, then walk around the store and find the exact same items sold seperately and see which is cheaper.

I looked at one of these one day and after about the 3rd item I read on the items included list I put it back and laughed at the price..

Just my uneducated, untrained, non-expereiced opinion, remember I know nothing..

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Made in China need I say more?
    (ok not everything from china is cheap and crappy but for 60 bucks as originally posted what do you think you are going to get?)
    I was sorry to see B G had his name on such low quality products, I thought Gerber would have made this Name associated product of higher quality.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    After watching Dual Survival for a few weeks I sat through a episode of the Bear .
    Watching two overweight middle age guys get by mostly with their wits and the stuff they
    find, I find Bear Grylls to be downright foolish with the risks he takes. With Dave and Cody
    it's 'this is what you can do'... With the Bear it's "looky what I can do"!

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Its not a bad kit. It can be built for less money. A well trained and experienced woodsman would be able to survive on half that kit.

I'd take the mutitool and firestarter, dissappear into the woods for 2 weeks and come out 3 pounds heavier and slightly drunk.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    @ Exodus - Thanks for the fix, I keep forgetting about that "color" choice when referring to things such as that. And Remember, "I know nothing!" said like Sgt Schultz of Hogan's Heros..

@ WETSU - LOL on the "drunk" comment..

I would venture to guess we all agree that if you have a little knowledge and a few "tools" you can survive..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The firestarter would good to have (if it was quality) an maybe the fishing hooks an the line, but the rest I think you could do better on. Cause me personaly I would want a better knife or hatchet. I know weight is a big thing, but I think you build a better kit for maybe just a little more money

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    To paraphrase Cody Lundin knowledge is more important than tools and lighter
    weight.... It's good to see new folks actually taking this all seriously at any rate.

Top Bottom