• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    My wife does not shooting any of my .40 cal pistols, especially the .40 Sigma. We bought her a 9mm M&P and she loves it. I agree with the comment to go to a range and rent a couple different types of guns to see what fits her best and what she feels comfortable shooting.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I think the main reason most police depts. went to the 9mm was the magazine cap. No offence to any policeman out there, but read the papers some many bullets in the air and to few hits, too many feel that they can spray and pray and come out on top! And yes I have shot with everyone from state police to us marshalls and a texas ranger, so times you'd be saver standing in front of the pistol

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I myself have noticed that some of the recoil issue lies within the firearm itself.

Example: I carry an xd40 compact with compensated barrel, and it has around the same recoil as a coworkers sig 9mm. Granted the xd is a cannon compared to the sig (sound signature wise) but the felt recoil is almost the same. Just my .02 that a compensated barrel may be the way to go

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    My humble opinion is that control of recoil is largely effected on the grip compared to your hand size and, specifically how high up the grip your hand is positioned. It's hard to find grips that match two people well. I have owned both the 40 and the 9 sigmas however and my x g-friend used to plink the 40 no prop and she was med build. maybe 5' 8' 140 lbs.

If they're going to be sharing I think trial is gonna be the best option!

Bigswin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pretty similar recoil IMO. Shoot both and see what they think. Don't know alot of women that like to shoot full size guns tho. Good luck.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Thanks for the direct comparison of the Sigma 9 and .40. That is the data point I was seeking.

My wife's new handgun is the M&P 9. She loves shooting it and does so very well. The rack release is however difficult for her to use.

M&P is virtually the same design as the sigma's. It has more options and higher quality components. I love both of them. The newer sigmas are a great pistol for the money...(especially the 9mm) Add a $14 hogue rubber grip and it will considerabley decrease recoil and increase accuracy. Trigger takes some gettin used to. I can punch 3" groups all day at self defense distances. Love the M&P also. It really comes down to the money you are able to spend at the time.....As far as recoil for a woman, that just depends on the woman. And as clearly recomended already, sampling is the only way to find out. My wife is all but 110 lbs. She prefers the 9mm. But she doesn't fear .45 .357.or even .50. So I don't worry about her not being able to handle my prefered caliber if it was necessary. Everyone is different. Try as many things as possible, make a decision, and then keep trying things some more. Good Luck!:D

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    MY WIFE HAS A SIG 226 AND A BERETTA 9000S SHE IS A SMALL GIRL AND SHE HAS NO PROBLEM HANDLING EITHER GUN AND SHE HAS ONLY BEEN SHOOTING FOR 6 MONTHS

Last edited:

jespol227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Being a petite girl myself, I can say that I feel completely comfortable shooting my 9mm. I was nervous to shoot a .45 recently, but I loved it! The best suggestion would be to meet up with friends at the range, and have both your son and his wife try different handguns.

And a 9mm is perfect for home defense.

Jes

Top Bottom