• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Because when you put the .40 is a frame that's built for the 9mm, with the .40s higher recoil impulse, then you put "torture test" volumes of rounds through it, it wears out a bit faster that the 9mm, you give up a couple of rounds of capacity compared to the 9mm, and you don't gain anything in so-called "stopping power".

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After doing a bit of research (small bit), I am thinking it may be more of a capacity issue than I was originally thinking. If you compare 9mm +P to .40 SW, they really are about the same in terms of performance, with the 9mm sometimes having both greater penetration as well as expansion. I don't think you will see any less wear and tear on a handgun if it digested a steady diet of +P when compared to a .40 SW. +P pressures are higher and the energy is very close to .40 SW. Per the Hornady website, the 135g Critical Duty is only 27 ft/lbs lower than the 175g Critical Duty in .40 at the muzzle, but it's 100fps higher in velocity. Standard 9mm comes up well short though.

I'd guess that the cost is not too different between 9mm +P and .40 SW. They would be about the same to shoot from my experience and both will beat a gun up over the long haul. The only real advantage I see is the higher capacity and maybe the ability to reduce costs through training with standard 9mm over the +P.

All just conjecture on my part though.

1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    I'd imagine, but just guessing, that the locals don't use the high dollar 9mm for training. Probably use standard 9mm 115gr FMJ on the range for qualifying since it is significantly cheaper that Hornady duty ammo.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Seems like ISP changes gun manufacturers a lot. I can recall Beretta, Glock, now Sig. Of course that has been over the course of a couple decades, so that really isn't bad I guess. I think they have covered the range of calibers too.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here are a few thoughts from my perspective:
    I put more faith in shot placement than caliber.
    Bullet selection is important and both calibers have impressive performers.
    Capacity should not be ignored, handgun calibers are not reliable at stopping men and placing rounds where you want them on a moving target is more difficult with a handgun.
    Many officers are not gun enthusiasts and there is tremendous value in the repetitions and confidence they have on board with a particular caliber/pistol/holster combination, i.e., switching platforms is not something to be taken lightly.

There is a lot of competition in the LE handgun market. Administrators have a responsibility to their officers as well as to taxpayers to provide quality equipment without breaking the budget. Jumping on the low bidder is ignoring one and demanding custom 1911's for every officer is ignoring the other. Somewhere in the middle is the right choice. Life expectancy, wear parts and difficulty of maintenance are all considerations as they will affect the value long term.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I like the 357 Sig. The gel tests show an impressive channel with a 125 gr bullet @ 1319 fps. My 125 gr Gold Dot loads chrony @ 1500 fps and I'd really like to see what they would do to that gel.

handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom