• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've often heard it said the .40 is the best of both worlds. That may be true, or not, depending on how you look at it. Many say it has more power than the 9mm, and more capacity than the .45: best of both worlds.

I say it has less power than the .45 and less capacity than the 9mm: Worst of both worlds.

Yep this pretty much sums it up. But unlike my friend jbombelli, I fall in the best of both worlds camp. Neither way of thinking is wrong. I had the opportunity to go .40 in all my pistols and am quite happy since I now have to stock only one type of ammunition.

One comment on the "power" of the .40. I have shot bowling pins and pepper poppers with the cartridge. Both the .40 & .45 will carry a pin off the table or drop a rusty popper. The 9mm will not accomplish this feat! What the 9mm offers is a platform that is easy to shoot. 9mm has a lot less recoil. Overall I like the .40 and the versatility it offers, but I prefer to shoot 9mm.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I could probably stipulate and agree velocity and energy could be major factors in determing "power". What I would have trouble understanding is how "power" makes one caliber more "effective" as a personal defense caliber over another with such a proven track record.

Lets say if I carry a factory load using a 125 gr .355 dia bullet with a velocity of 1350 fps, the energy would be 505. Now, if I load with a max charge of Blue Dot and drive that same bullet 1500 fps, the energy then becomes 624. I would say the handloaded round has more power, and even say it's much more fun to shoot. But, by no means does this mean it is a more effective self defense round.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    don't jump on someone when they are correct bud....cheers
    I think I was the one jumped on and accused of not knowing what I typed while I too was correct.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThrottleJockey
    I really like my .40s. After the first one, 9mm completely left my lineup and .45 is about to go away too. IMO .40 is the best of both worlds, more power than .45 yet as compact as the 9mm. I hate these caliber comparison/preference threads but either way that's how I personally feel (I also don't like boneless ham, fish, or organized religion but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with any of them).

I'm guessing you meant to say ". . .more power than the 9mm. . ." If not, you're the first person I've ever seen say the .40 has more power than the .45.

I've often heard it said the .40 is the best of both worlds. That may be true, or not, depending on how you look at it. Many say it has more power than the 9mm, and more capacity than the .45: best of both worlds.

I say it has less power than the .45 and less capacity than the 9mm: Worst of both worlds.

That said, I've owned .40s, and have no complaints about them at all. I just like my 9mm pistols better.

Either caliber will do the job.
    But either way, this thread doesn't have anything to do with .45 I only used it as PART of the reason I CHOOSE .40 additionally, this debate has been going on since the inception of the .40S&W round. Many arguments can be made either way and none nearly as conclusive as the fact that the FBI, CIA, ATF and the rest of the alphabet gangs have ALL decided on the .40 after extensive study at our expense. I'll go with what I like and tell people why I like it, you go with what you like and tell people why you like it and then let them decide.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    This pretty much details where I stand on the issue of what caliber is better.

YouTube - 9mm vs 45 ACP: The debate continues

Summation: Caliber is mostly irrelevant in a gunfight. Get the pistol that works best for you in terms of which one you shoot best. Hitting your target and putting that round right where you want it trumps who has the bigger bullet.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The .357 magnum had an awesome reputation in actual shootings, and it is essentially a 125 grain 9mm bullet at 1400 fps. It has to have something going for it other than bullet size alone. Not sure that the "transfer rate" had anything to do with its effectiveness either, since it's velocity is more than the .40 and much more than any .45 ACP round.

The Federal load with the 125 gr HP a couple of decades ago did have a awesome reputation. Even today with all the advances of bullet designs, it would still have a great record. Actually, I still have a few boxes of them around, even though my revolvers have become safe queens for the most part.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    You did not say why the G22 was too big to conceal. Was it length or thickness?

Further, are you wanting a gun with a striker fired or DAO trigger or is a traditional DA/SA trigger OK?

Also, since you noted cost was a bit of a concern, then a 9MM is likely a better choice, since ammo will be cheaper.

If grip/barrel length was the problem and you need DAO or striker trigger, then guns at a lower price point than a Glock include the Ruger SR9, the Kel-Tec P-11, the S&W SD9 and the S&W Sigma.

DA/SA guns include several Taurus models, the Stoger Cougar, the CZ P07, the Ruger P95 and the Bersa Thunder 9.

I am sure I am missing a few....

Now, if you need a slimmer gun, then you are likely looking at single stack gun and there your choices are a bit more limited. Plus, most of the single stack guns at a lower price point than a Glock have rather limited magazine capacity, usually 7+1. Examples include the Kel-Tec PF9, the Taurus 709 and the Kahr CW9.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I keep a .357 Ruger GP100 for my wife's home defense gun, as she likes revolvers over semiautos, and doesn't get to practice much. It's stoked with the 125 grain Remington Golden Saber medium velocity load, 1250 fps from a 4" barrel, I think. A little less recoil for her petite frame. I do have one box of full power Federal 125 grain SJHP. That's good stuff! I keep my Security Six loaded with it, although it only occasionally comes out of the safe.

You can certainly feel the power of a full charge magnum when you set one off. I love shooting my Rugers! The youngsters don't know what they are missing. :)

I can't get my wife to shoot my security six or the Gp100. Now, if I have down loaded .38's, she does enjoy my SP101. She just likes her kahr CW9 and G19 too much.

Now on the other hand, my son wont shoot the .357's anymore now that he has his new love... My Ruger Redhawk in .44.

I remember well using the .357 revolvers for personal protection... Thats probably the reason I am such a fan and currently use the .357 sig. Close to the same performance in the 125 gr weights, but much more capacity.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love my sp101 so much that it is my EDC. A day at the range with full loads can cause some bruising in the webbing of my hand though;)

LOL... I know what you mean. As for the wife, it's the only one she likes.. It's strictly due to the others being too big for her hand. She still remembers the one time she grabbed full power loads loaded with 296 instead of the downloaded .38's... (1) shot and she thought her hair was on fire... She still tells the story over 10 years after the fact.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think I was the one jumped on and accused of not knowing what I typed while I too was correct.
    But either way, this thread doesn't have anything to do with .45 I only used it as PART of the reason I CHOOSE .40 additionally, this debate has been going on since the inception of the .40S&W round. Many arguments can be made either way and none nearly as conclusive as the fact that the FBI, CIA, ATF and the rest of the alphabet gangs have ALL decided on the .40 after extensive study at our expense. I'll go with what I like and tell people why I like it, you go with what you like and tell people why you like it and then let them decide.

I apologize if that's how I came across. I didn't mean to jump on you. I was just pointing out everything I'd heard prior. That was literally the first time I'd ever heard that, whereas I've heard many times that the .45 was more powerful. Based on that I actually thought you made a typo. No need to take that personally, or as an insult. I was wrong. That's cool with me; I gotta be wrong once in a while.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I apologize if that's how I came across. I didn't mean to jump on you. I was just pointing out everything I'd heard prior. That was literally the first time I'd ever heard that, whereas I've heard many times that the .45 was more powerful. Based on that I actually thought you made a typo. No need to take that personally, or as an insult. I was wrong. That's cool with me; I gotta be wrong once in a while.
    No problem man, I didn't mean to come across that way either. This stupid internet thing takes all the personality and humanity out of conversation and without being able to interact "real time" I fear that I can sometimes seem like a bit of a prick:) Actually I'm that way in person at times too. I'm just glad that even with all of our differences of opinion we can find a common ground and a love that we all share with one another. I'll be damned if a little thing like caliber wars could make me think poorly of a fellow freedom loving firearm enthusiast (bitter clinger).

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Glock models have a lot of versatility for hicap in 40 or 9mm. I chose 9 because i like the inexpensive rds. But if you don't plan on shooting a ton - go for the 40.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock models have a lot of versatility for hicap in 40 or 9mm. I chose 9 because i like the inexpensive rds. But if you don't plan on shooting a ton - go for the 40.

For the most part I agree with this; however, lately .40 had not been priced much differently then 9mm. I can buy .40 easily for $15 a box of 50. Even 100 round WWB 9mm is around $24. This is for the 115 grain stuff. Since my 9mm used to really love the 124 grain loadings (which cost mote), I can in reality shoot the .40 for about the same cost.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not this crap again. :horse:. Fact is, handgun calibers are not the best SD choice. However, they are the most practical for daily carry. Who is going to strap a MBR or shotgun to their hip? The whole .45 being a one shot man stopper has been beat to death. You can research and read test data all you want. I like reading about real world occurrences. For example, I read an article in the latest issue of Combat Handguns. The defendant in this particular story, had to shoot the assailant 6 times with a .45 to stop him. Then they wanted to try him for murder. So is the .45 really that more affective then 9mm or .40? Shot placement is the most crucial factor in self defense. Caliber size is pointless if you can not hit a vital area. Look how many people have been killed by the .22 caliber! Find what caliber and make of firearm you shoot the most accurately. Carry modern day SD ammo, train and hope you never have to squeeze the trigger.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think these threads should be limited to only those people that have shot someone with both calibers...

Oh wait, that would be almost NOBODY!

Top Bottom