• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    If a heavy 1911 is too much snap and/or recoil for you, a snappy little lightweight 9mm is going to be as well.

Best bet is a medium sized .380 such as the bersa thunder plus or sig p238.

The bersa is not too large and packs 15 rounds, with a good amount of weight to keep snap and recoil to a minimum. There are plenty of .380 ammos that penetrate as well as 9mm's.

Otherwise you should go to a 22mag like the high capacity wheel gun by taurus (or the new pistol by Keltec, if you have a genie in a bottle who delivers...).

Last edited:

FranktheGDTank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Definitely go with a single stack pistol like the Kahr PM9, I like the CW9 cause its cheaper and has more grip for my hands. The newer Taurus 709 is not bad either. I carry a glock 27 daily but having a single stack frame is more concealable if thats what you are going for.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    Recently I purchased a Bersa BP9. Wow, what a great striker fired
    pistol. My choice narrowed down between a Ruger LC9, also a nice
    pocket pistol and the Bersa. Well with a very comfortable grip and
    superior trigger the Bersa won my wallet.

:ingo::patriot:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    It feels a little thicker and heavier, shoots very well and felt recoil seems less. It just plain fits my hand better. I like the Shield 2nd best of the four.

Cool! Glad you found a gun that works for you. I'm pretty darned happy with my Shield but I'll have to give the Nano a try when I get a chance.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus 709 Slim has the trigger safety and the manual safety on the side. I carried it when the G26 was too big. Excellent weapon. Accurate and dependable. Economical.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    After looking around a bit, I picked the LC9 specifically for the safety. Maybe my thumbs are shorter than average, but the safety is in the perfect spot for me to switch it off easily. Yes, the trigger pull is long, but I prefer it that way. I figure that if I have to use it in a defense situation, my adrenaline is going to overcome any discomfort of a long pull, and I think it will prevent me from accidentally firing in the excitement.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have not been very comfortable carrying a full sized pistol, ... Any suggestions? ...

How, exactly, were you not comfortable?
    Do you think the guns you mentioned (1911 and SR9C) are dimensionally too large (i.e. poke you), too large to conceal, too heavy, etc?
    How were you carrying the handgun?
    Male or female (it makes a difference)? I could "guess" based on your screen name, but I'd rather not.

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I am hearing great things about the S&W Shield in 9 mm. I haven't shot one, but I hear great reviews.... I'm trying to find one for myself.. but the supply and demand are proving to be a huge problem..

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    How, exactly, were you not comfortable?
    Do you think the guns you mentioned (1911 and SR9C) are dimensionally too large (i.e. poke you), too large to conceal, too heavy, etc?
    How were you carrying the handgun?
    Male or female (it makes a difference)? I could "guess" based on your screen name, but I'd rather not.
    Male of course:) The recoil of my short 45 and even my regular 1911 has been too much for my shoulder that I could only fire one round. With regards to the SR9C, it is ok, but it is still a little larger than a sub compact. I feel that the subcompact would be less bulky to bring with me on a regular basis. Just an opinion of course

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The shield, XDs, and PPS would all make a great choice. If you can go a bit larger, an XDm 9mm compact with a crossbreed supertuck holster hides remarkably well and has very manageable recoil.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...The recoil of my short 45 and even my regular 1911 has been too much for my shoulder that I could only fire one round. With regards to the SR9C, it is ok, but it is still a little larger than a sub compact. I feel that the subcompact would be less bulky to bring with me on a regular basis. ...

Ok, I got the recoil part.

"Larger" exists in at least 4 dimensions; length, height, width, and weight.

Giving some thought to which of these (or what combination) is most affecting your carry will help zero in on what guns might work for you the best. Little differences can be significant when it comes to concealed carry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The OP says he's tried the Ruger SR9c and still finds it a bit too "large." Here are the dimensions of the SR9c:

SR9c - 6.85" L x 4.61" H x 1.27" W, 23.4 oz.

Here are some of the 9mm handguns recommended in the thread to the OP:

G26 - 6.5" L x 4.2" H x 1.18" W, 19.8 oz.
    PPS - 6.3" L x 4.4" H x 1" W, 21.3 oz.
    CW9 - 5.9" L x 4.5" H x 0.9" W, 17.7 oz.
    LC9 - 5.9" L x 4.5" H x 0.9" W, 17.7 oz.
    PF9 - 5.9" L x 4.3" H x 0.9" W, 12.7 oz.
    PM9/CM9 - 5.4" L x 4.0" H x 0.9" W, 15.9 oz.
    Nano - 5.6" L x 4.2" H x ??" W, 17.7 oz.
    XD9sc - 6.25" L x 4.75" H x ??" W, 26 oz.
    M&P9c - 6.7" L x 4.3" H x 1.2" W, 21.7 oz.
    Shield - 6.1" L x 4.6" H x 0.95" W, 19 oz.

All of the above (except the XD9sc) are a bit shorter in length, height, and width, and are lighter in weight. They are possible candidates from a physical size perspective.

The XD9sc is a bit taller and heavier than the SR9c. Therefore, if height and weight are concerns for the OP, the XD9sc will likely not be an improvement over the SR9c.

I didn't list those recommendations there were clearly larger than what the OP is looking for (and I'm sure I didn't list a couple of others).

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My favorite sub-compact 9mm was the CM9 I had. If I got another one I would immediately replace the front sight (plastic) but otherwise they are good to go and can be concealed just about anywhere. Seriously my older iPod Nano prints about as much as that pistol and it was very accurate out to 15 yards.

Top Bottom