• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    This would fit everything he's looking for. Good recommend. I'm also seeing other good guns I didn't think of. Thanks for the responses we will have fun looking at each of these.

206304_01_lg.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Can't go wrong with the M&P 9c. I've have or have owned about every M&P version to date, but the one that has taken over the lion's share of my daily carry is the Shield 9mm. It just does it all so well, that I usually can't justify my larger or smaller carry guns.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    He never gave me a budget but did say he is willing to spend the money for a good gun. I doubt he'd spend a $1000 but I don't think he would flinch at $600 if it was the right gun.

Adding a solid carry belt, holster, and some training (like NRA Personal Protection In The Home) as a starting point would be a great way to round out that budget.

We smart people tend not to. ;)

OUCH! :stickpoke:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    The Ruger 9E and SR9 series is probably the best value in handguns right now. SR9c would meet the OPs requirements.

This is only my first handgun so I can't really compare but I have to admit I really do love this gun for how much it cost me.

Have him aim for $500-ish and force him into a GOOD BELT AND HOLSTER AND TRAINING. :D

+1. Absolutely add in some good gear and extra mags into his purchase plus training because that will go a longer way for his money!

EDIT:

Honestly, he isn't going to go wrong with any of the recommendations given. He really needs to go grip test these and get a feel for which one FEELS and FITS best for him. Make sure he hits the safety and mag release and slide release, he'll want to make sure it's very ergonomic for his hand.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The shield will serve you well. Then if he ever gets past the thumb safety its still no big deal it can stay off all of the time. Even if you could get him away from a gun with a thumb safety the shield would still be a fantastic option!

I also second what tactually fat had to say about getting a good belt and holster... Then training is probably the most important part as it would make him realize the importance of the others anyways IMO.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    +1 on the Ruger SR9c. My first handgun. Easily concealed with the 10 round mag, plenty of firepower with the 17 round. Still the favorite 9mm I own. Great beginner's gun.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Tell him to forget the thumb safety and get a Glock 19. It fits all of the other criteria except #2.

He has 2 younger kids and although he has no intention of leaving it out for them to find the thumb safety provides him an extra layer of personal comfort knowing the kids can't just grab it and pull the trigger without also knowing how to disengage the safety.

I do believe as he gets used to carrying and more comfortable with handguns the thumb safety may not be as much of a concern for him later. But for now I see why it might be a good idea for a thumb safety.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't want to be that guy... But if the kids get ahold of the gun safety or not he has already really lost.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't want to be that guy... But if the kids get ahold of the gun safety or not he has already really lost.

I have to agree. Mechanical safeties really offer a false sense of security that leads to complacency.

jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    I don't blame the guy for taking every step he can to insure nothing happens.

From what has been posted it looks like he has a ton of good choices and doesn't have to sacrifice anything off his list. Good luck to your friend in his search!!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    SIGpro in 9mm (safety is not pulling the trigger)
    light enough to EDC due to polymer frame
    buy hybrid holster for carry.
    Spend $100 on a gun vault and keep it there when not under his direct control.

bwrin3593

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Anderson
    I have a m&p9c with the thumb safety. I carry it IWB with alien gear cloak tuck 2.0, i really like it, its compact and still packs a punch. Here recently i have been carrying it OWB because im a bigger guy and find that more comfortable.

Top Bottom