• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    We all know recoil is subjective but also know that certain pistols of the same caliber and frame size have less or more recoil. My wife can shoot my Beretta 92 just fine however she is recoil sensitive to .38 special. I am looking for a small enough 9mm to fit in her purse and need INGO members experience in suggesting a 9mm pistol to fit the bill. I do not live near anywhere with rental for her to try and do not want to buy numerous 9mm pistols on a trial and error basis. I figure this is the best place to get some feedback via member experience.

Thanks in advance.

Latigo

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For a high quality gun that will have modest recoil, look at the ALL STEEL CZ75C (for cocked and locked carry, maybe not the best for a purse carry)

For a slightly lighter, but high quality gun, consider the ALLOY framed CZ75D or CZP01 (both offer a decocker for long first trigger pull)

For a slightly smaller gun consider the various 9mm BERSA models.

If she likes the 1911 pattern guns, consider the ALLOY ParaUSA "Carry9" pistol with the LDA trigger system, its slim, has a safety AND a long light first trigger pull.

Realize that lighter weight and smaller guns will have a greater felt recoil and heavier weight and larger guns will have a lower felt recoil.

BillyJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I personally like the Kahr PM9, it is a bit pricey, but the build quality and reliability after break-in (200 rounds) is on point.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Thanks, yup realize the size and weight will make a difference been looking a steel frame compacts just don't which one, I will give a look at your suggestions. Thanks again!

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    +1 on the Kahr PM9. Mine has been flawless from round one and the accuracy is acceptable at a few yards' distance. It would be greatly enhanced by the addition of a Crimson Trace laser, and although the recoil can be painful I think it's manageable even with my rather small hands.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Anyone have any experience with Kahr MK9 ? Additional Info my wife has osteoporosis that causes the recoil sensitivity.

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:

troy96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    A Glock 26 is small enough for purse carry. Its recoil is better than the 92.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What size gun is she sensitive to in .38? If it's a snubby, those can feel violent to lots of folks.

For a smaller 9mm that I still found very pleasant to shoot, the XD9sc was a nice gun, though a bit thick in the butt. If she's recoil shy, you can't go to small or light.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A Glock 26 is small enough for purse carry. Its recoil is better than the 92.

Just my personal opinion, but a Glock is best suited for holster carry and I do not believe that a gun with that type of trigger system is suitable/safe for purse carry. I have a G26 and love it, but would never consider it in a loose bag/cargo pocket/etc. For purse carry I would strongly suggest a real DAO trigger, preferably one with a secondary safety switch. But that is, again, just my opinion. For a poly pistol, the PT111 from Taurus comes to mind with its safety & fairly long trigger pull, but given the recoil sensitivity mentioned in the OP, I'd be looking at the heavier steel framed guns.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    She currently carries a Taurus PT138, it suits her fine however I would rather her carry a 9mm. Maybe I'll let her try the Taurus PT111 since it is similar and see if she can endure the recoil for limited range time and carry using the .380 for longer practice sessions.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What size gun is she sensitive to in .38?

I think Joe's on the right track here. The only way we can zero in with some suggestions that make sense is to know the .38 involved. Seems from the context a snub is the most likely candidate. If it was a 4" steel revolver, that changes the suggestions.

OP, can you fill us in?

Is weight important to you or just physical size?

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Steel .38 spl. snubby. Carry weight not a concern,weight to lesson recoil is a factor, size is important that is will fit in her purse (pocket type holster)

Thanks everyone I am burning up the computer checking out your suggestions.

Anyone have any expirience with a Para 9mm LDA compact

looking at sp-101 3" .38 ?? anyone have expirence on sp 101 3" recoil vs snubbies??

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom