• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I want to get a new handgun for competitions I am currently shooting my Ruger 1911 at the Friday Night Steel matches at MCF&G. I love my 1911 but I eventually want something a little easier on the wallet. So my question is, Is there a big difference between 9 and 40 in terms of reloading. Is there a significant savings on components with the 9 or is it pretty much the same.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I can't tell you much about reloading, but as a buyer of both calibers, I can tell you that the retail price of .40 is about 10 cents more per round than 9mm.

It's roughly $.20/rd vs $.30/rd.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    If your staying with 1911 style and want to shoot Single Stack USPSA, then remember 9mm is minor and 40 is major (assuming 40 meets major power factor). Although minor allows for 10rd mags, major is limited to 8.

If your shooting production USPSA, everything is minor so 9mm is typically preferred for lower recoil.

Minor Scoring
    A=5, B&C=3, D=1
    Major Scoring
    A=5, B&C=4, D=2

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    If Reloading brass that you have not fired your self be careful. If the 9mm or .40 was shot in a factory Glock, you will not be able to use it in any other non Glock without a True full length case re sizer. The Chamber is looser in a glock, cases expand more. I load .40 and 9mm. As well as .45. The .40 is a little more demanding and less forgiving than 9mm as to powder charges. If I was shooting target I would pick 9mm. Components seem easier to find. And a little cheaper.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9mm will cost less to shoot. 9mm will give you faster followup shots and be easier to control.

Either will work fine for making steel ring. .40 will knock pepper Popper's and plates down with more authority.

.40 is considered a major caliber for USPSA. So if you ever decide to shoot that....

Some 40s can be converted to 9mm. Conversion can't go the other way.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I want to get a new handgun for competitions I am currently shooting my Ruger 1911 at the Friday Night Steel matches at MCF&G. I love my 1911 but I eventually want something a little easier on the wallet. So my question is, Is there a big difference between 9 and 40 in terms of reloading. Is there a significant savings on components with the 9 or is it pretty much the same.

Once you have a ready supply of brass accumulated, 40 S&W will be about 3-4 cents more per round to reload than 9 MM. Of course, if you shop around for good deals on components, 45 reloads are only 5-6 cents more per round than 9 MM.

That being said, if you are already reloading 45, you will have to shoot thousands of rounds of cheaper reloads to make up the cost of a new gun.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    9mm will cost less to shoot. 9mm will give you faster followup shots and be easier to control.

Either will work fine for making steel ring. .40 will knock pepper Popper's and plates down with more authority.

.40 is considered a major caliber for USPSA. So if you ever decide to shoot that....

Some 40s can be converted to 9mm. Conversion can't go the other way.

^^THIS^^

Top Bottom