• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    eventually u will want to get both. they both have their perks but you cant beat the cheap .22 ammo. i have 2 nines and i shot a browning 22 the other day and im hooked. both are a fun time

Dudeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    Good question.

Hey bud. Shooting a .22 and shooting a 9mm are quite different, but anything to practice with is better than nothing. .22s are far quieter, less recoil, and generally lighter (even a full size pistol-the ammo weighs less in the mag). A 9mm would give you a better idea of a "real" shooting scenario, but if you have only the purpose of training, get the .22. Regardless of how much it's actually like shooting a center fire pistol, the physical act of aiming, holstering, drawing the weapon, changing mags (if you get an auto) and general gun safety are all essentially the same. If you have a few years of school, you will enjoy "plinking" as they call it-and you can "upgrade" later.

Where will you be shooting? It is much easier to find a friend/family member/coworker with a place to shoot .22 without bothering a neighbor or animals than a 9mm, volume an issue. It's still a firearm and the same rules and laws apply 100%, it will just be less intrusive on the ears.

You can get more practice longer and with less recoil cramps shooting a .22.

Just my thoughts.

Almost every company makes a .22 pistol, but I would personally avoid the ones that are modeled after a center fire pistol unless its a model you plan to use in the field.

A few good ones to consider:

-ruger mark III and 22/45
    -browning's .22 I forget the name of
    -ruger tracker (revolver)
    -any old .22 revolver for that matter. I just bought a '75 h&r 9 shot for 60 bucks. Perfect plinker

I am a walther guy. I just got a new PPQ 9mm. Straight from Germany. That being said, I agree on avoiding the P22. Too many reliability issues, overpriced, and they are SMALL. I have big hands though.

I would go to some shops and just hold a few. Whatever fits your hand (full size is better) and feels right is a good start. Don't get a snub nose!! Defeats .22 accuracy in my experience. 4" or longer as some have said.

K done rambling. Good luck!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for the input guys. Also, any opinions for what i should look for in a .22 if i decide to go that route? and are there any suggestions that might be better than the two 9mm i listed?

Smith and Wesson M&P or a Glock whichever feels better in your hand. With a career plan like yours it is likely you will have one or the other in your holster someday.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I agree with joshua_xdm, you are going to want both!...and actaeon277 hit the nail on the head..... with $500 and some patience, you can find two quality used firearms that will temporarily fill your need. I say "temporarily" because we all know that you will want more! I swear, it is a disease.
    Anyway.... My choice for a .22 is a Ruger MKII (MKIII , 22/45, etc.) Excellent choice, super reliable and customizable, if that is your cup of tea. A great 9m is anything in the Ruger P series. I have had some experience with a KP89DC and it has out shot many higher priced guns.
    You'll have trouble getting both of these for under $500, but they are my choices. :twocents: Either one and a lesser priced pistol of the other caliber will do you just fine.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Lots of good advice here, but I have one caveat. I sometimes shoot hundreds of rounds in a single day, especially when plinking supressed with family/friends. Good thing .22 is cheap.

I agree --- see post #4 & #8 in this thread. I remember a friend of mine who bought a nice boat many years ago ... and it sat in his driveway most of the summer because he couldn't afford the gas. I'd hate to buy a gun that I couldn't afford to shoot more than 1,000 rounds/year ... They're pretty, but not that pretty.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If you shoot 800 rounds per month for the next year, that is almost 10,000 rounds. 9mm will cost approximately $2,000. .22LR will cost approximately $400. Alternatively, you can shoot 25,000 rounds of .22LR for under $1,000.

I agree. My favorite fun gun is a .22. Even though it's a rifle the costs is nothing compared to other rounds.

Top Bottom