• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think there's only about 5 brands I'd trust my life to. There's other brands I'd own for fun or enjoyment. But I wonder with some of the firearms choices I see people make on ingo for self defense if they have really done their homework or if they are just choosing guns that look cool or the fastest purchase they can afford?
    im not going to name the brands that I myself would trust. But I just would suggest that anyone making that choice look hard at what your getting and test done by people out there who test this stuff for a living or rely on it for a living.

gncc600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    Kahr PM9 or CM9... great little backup gun or off duty weapon. A lot thinner than my G26 and just as reliable. They do take some break in according to Kahr but I have never had any issues with any of my Kahrs.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Any of the popular single stack 9's seem pretty solid...even with the recalls. Shield, XDS, PPS, Nano, CM/PM9. If Kimber made the Solo not so picky with ammo, I'd own one. Currently carrying a recently returned from factory XDS. Pre recall...almost 500 rounds no issues. Post recall...another 350 no issues.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you run a glock 22 or 27 for duty, then I would go with a glock 23 and use the 27 as a backup permanently with 22 mags on the belt. That way you can have full size mags with compact/subcompact guns that will use those same mags.

I carry a glock 26 with g17 mag on my belt. When I carry my g19 (haven't for 6 months...step dad has it for his security gig) I carry it and a 17/19 mag on my belt.

I wouldn't want to have different mags to worry about, I would want them all to work in every gun I'd have on so as to not grab the wrong one and try to chamber it.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Ruger LC9 that I occasionally carry as a pocket gun for one of my off duty carries. Nice thin single stack 9mm that carries 7 in the mag. I keep one mag with the flush fitting mag and the other two mags I have the pinky extension on them. Some people will complain about the trigger pull but its not a target gun and it gets the job done, never had an issue with qualifying with it.

Sierra74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Northside of Indy
    If you run a glock 22 or 27 for duty, then I would go with a glock 23 and use the 27 as a backup permanently with 22 mags on the belt. That way you can have full size mags with compact/subcompact guns that will use those same mags.

I carry a glock 26 with g17 mag on my belt. When I carry my g19 (haven't for 6 months...step dad has it for his security gig) I carry it and a 17/19 mag on my belt.

I wouldn't want to have different mags to worry about, I would want them all to work in every gun I'd have on so as to not grab the wrong one and try to chamber it.

You bring up a lot of the things I've already thought of. The reason I have the 27 is the ability to use other Maggianos and the fact that it operates just as my duty Glock. I guess it's just wishful thinking that I could get something lighter and easier to conceal. You're exactly right.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You bring up a lot of the things I've already thought of. The reason I have the 27 is the ability to use other Maggianos and the fact that it operates just as my duty Glock. I guess it's just wishful thinking that I could get something lighter and easier to conceal. You're exactly right.

If you use a full size Glock as a duty gun that might be the way to go. My local department issues the small Kahr 9mm as a backup gun. When I was there it was the Smith 638, however their primary is a Sig 229 so the mag compatibility thing doesn't figure in. As regards to the back up I think mag compatibility is not much of an issue, however as it applies to off duty carry the logistics might be easier.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Some very interesting suggestions so far, I like Kahrs, Rugers and S&W. Here is what I currently carrying and have for many years:

Kahr CW9
    k005.jpg

Attachments

• k005.jpg
      k005.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 1

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu