• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Can ANYONE find 9mm Hydra shok ANYWHERE???

It seems like I need to place an order (backorder) with Midway and wait for them to get it.... On that note, does anyone know if they charge you immediately, or charge you when they ship if its backordered??

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Check Ammo Enigine .com

Here is one of many that I found on:

AmmoEngine: 9mm / 9x19mm Parabellum (Luger), Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal, JHP, 115 Grain +P+, 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement, Classic Hi-Shok

AMM-406.jpg

Ammo 9mm Federal, JHP, 115 Grain +P+, 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement, Classic Hi-Shok
    4.5.gif
    33 Customer Reviews
    Our Low Price: $19.59

TK :ingo:

Last edited:

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Can someone explain all of the "hydra shok" terminology and lines?

I see people say "hydra shok", others say "HST", yet others say "LE Tactical Hydra Shok", and even "hydra shok w/o post"

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Federal's "Hi-Shock" is sold at retailers. It is Federal's standard hollow point bullet. It does not have a post in the cavity.

Federal's "Hydra-Shok (Personal Protection)" is sold at retailers. It uses the "Hydra-Shock' bullet. You can tell it apart from Hi-shocks and HST's because it has a post in the cavity and it has small notches at the lip of the cavity.

Federal's "Tactical Hyrda-Shok" is only sold direct to government and/or law enforcement agencies or their suppliers by Federal's company policy. But can be found and legally purchased (At least in the state of Indiana) at select retailers and gunshows. This bullet is the same or very similar to regular Hydra-Shoks and it also has a post in the cavity and small notches on the lip of the cavity.
    [/FONT]

Federal's "Tactical HST" (Commonly called "Hydra-Shok Two/2" or just "HST") is only sold direct to government and/or law enforcement agencies or their suppliers by Federal's company policy. But it too can be found and legally purchased (At least in the state of Indiana) at select retailers and gunshows. It is the second generation of Federal's "Hydra-Shok" bullet design. This bullet has no post in the cavity and has six deep grooves running almost the whole length of the side of the jacket.

Here's the different boxes and an HST Round.

dscn0145m.jpg

hste.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The Hydra Shok is an older technology bullet, and an advance for it's time, but that was a couple decades ago. The HST is a more modern bullet, and a better performer. The Hi Shok or Federal Classic is an older bullet design still, the one the Hydra Shok replaced.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    So, whats the difference between the Tactical and regular (personal protection) stuff? Why is it limited to law enforcement only?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So, whats the difference between the Tactical and regular (personal protection) stuff? Why is it limited to law enforcement only?

also, which ones out of all of them are +P?

Frankly, tactical for HP bullets is a marketing term. It doesn't really mean much. From what I understand, LE ammo is only sold by the manufacturers directly to law enforcement, however distributors often sell them to the public. There is no law against owning/using it for personal protection.

Finally, +P ammo is clearly marked on either the box or online listing. It is higher than SAAMI standard pressure and is generally fine in modern firearms. Some older guns may have problems with the higher pressure. It is a good idea to check your gun's documentation to make sure it is okay. For example, I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    there HAS to be a reason that the 'tactical' variety is not for common folk... unfortunately, it probably has to do with profit margin and not performance..

I did mean to ask which, if any, of the Hi-shok, Hydra shok, or HST are +P. I do not have a box of them, and cannot find a box of them in a shop to look at.

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    9mm hydra-shok

you can pick them up locally at PSS (plainfield shooting supply) for around $25 give or take. they always seem to have them when i stop in, which is about twice a week. if they dont have them, they can get them and they will call you and you dont pay any shipping. good luck! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    there HAS to be a reason that the 'tactical' variety is not for common folk... unfortunately, it probably has to do with profit margin and not performance..

I did mean to ask which, if any, of the Hi-shok, Hydra shok, or HST are +P. I do not have a box of them, and cannot find a box of them in a shop to look at.

They actually make much less money on the HST's than they do the Hydra Shoks they sell at retail. Streicher's sells 50 HST's for $24.95. Hydra Shoks @ retail are at least that price for 25.

If you have a +p round it will be clearly marked on the headstamp. There are standard, +p, and +p+ versions of the Hydra Shoks and probably the HST's as well. They're all clearly labled on the box and the headstamp. You can look at Federal's website

Ammo manufacturers do not want to sell +p+ rounds to the general public. Why? Because of the extra wear and tear on weapons and the chance that they will injure someone shooting +p+ rounds in a handgun not designed for them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

It may be marketing because it doesn't appear to be a law anywhere. I'd like to know if anyone can find a citation to the contrary because it is hard to prove the non-existence of a law. Here is one example, where civilians can purchase "LE Tactical" ammo online. It is very common.

From their web site, it looks like Federal Hydra shok 9mm Hydra shock is non +P. 9mm HST has both regular and +P available. I believe Hi-shoks are shotgun shells only. In any case, all +P ammo is clearly marked in the description online or on the box.

Top Bottom