9mm for the wife what would you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Despite the recall, I'm still a big fan of the CCP. It feels good in the hand, has less recoil, is crazy accurate and the slide is very easy to manipulate. I too had none of the grittiness or other trigger issues that have been reported. I hope it comes back that way.

My GF loves her 3913 Lady Smith; but, it took a lot of practice for her to be able to manipulate the slide. She also likes my CCP.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do too but after someone else has been poking around in my stuff I wanna make sure it still works, especially with as many issues as have been going around with those guns (I want to make sure they don't jack it up in the process of fixing it).

I know it's PC to always let the SO decide for themselves. Too often though, they don't know what they don't know, (and their spouse doesn't either.)

Ill argue the opposite direction of most. Especially if the Mrs. is new to shooting and you are both changing. Pick the most popular gun, the one with the most and most affordable options for magazines, holsters, etc. Maybe the one the majority of LEO in the country carry? Maybe the one the most trainers carry? Maybe the one you can readily find an armorer's class for to learn all the particulars and nuances of the gun along with cleaning and maintenance?

In your circumstance, it would be foolish not to go with the same gun. Crazy not for a couple NOT to have universal gear and MAGS.

Save yourself a lot of time, trouble and money. Buy 2 G19's and carry gear. Sign up for some classes to mold yourselves around these universally accepted and favored guns. Train, practice and carry these guns for a year or more and you'll be happy you didn't have to throw $ on $, on $ changing, switching, etc.

Later on, after you've mastered these guns, you can specialize to other guns if you choose. You'll sell your gear for surprisingly close to what you have in it.

I don't think the guidance here is ever to set the uninitiated SO loose in the store to buy whatever he/she wants but to also give advice (like how the itty bitty gun that's easily hidden and fits in the hand might not be so much fun on the range).

In a perfect world, I agree 100% there are absolutely merits to both parties having the same gear. If possible, it's a great idea but there are caveats: If you're getting one gun for each of you and that's it, both parties can physically operate the gun, and have the time/money/motivation to devote to training for something that may be a compromise to one or both, go for it. As I've mentioned many times in other threads, my wife and I have a 175lb difference in weight, foot difference in height, similar difference in hand size, even bigger difference in strength and comfort/confidence (she deals with delicate electronics at work and writes for fun, I used to do rigging and still do work on cars). A 2-3" barrel sub-compact in her hands looks like a 5+" barrel full-size in mine and where I can just tell most guns to stay put in my hands, she has to hang on for dear life. I'm also a lot more interested and willing to train, dry-fire, live-fire, even just think about it than she is. As such, she gets to find that one perfect gun she's comfortable shooting/physically able to manipulate enough to even think about carrying and I get what I like. Happy wife happy life trumps practicality sometimes :):.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom