• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    We have been looking for a M&P shield for her, but about to give up. What would your choice be? It needs to be small because she is, and she wants to conceal carry. Looking for a striker fired 9mm. We are going out looking and handling tomorrow. Would like to hear your suggestions before we go. Thanks.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You really need to take her and have her shoot different guns. See what feels best in her hand.

Having said that, the M&P9c is a good alternative. it really isn't that much bigger than the shield.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    my wife has a LC9 and it does great. We've had probably 350 rounds down the pipe and have never had any kind of problems. That being said, it is a little "snappy". But, the frame is like 3/4 of an inch think so what can you expect? She personally would like a gun that has a little more ass to it so she's looking at trading it off for a S&W M&P 9c or a Glock 26.

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My wife and I bought our guns together, a Kahr CW9 for her and a Bersa Thunder Pro 9 UC for me. I now carry the Kahr because she confiscated the Bersa and loves it. We haven't had an issue out of either gun.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Glock 26, gen 3, preferably made 2009 and before. This is the perfect handgun in my very biased opinion.

Before you commit, go to a range and rent some handguns to shoot, pick the one that feels the best and shoots the best.

Best of luck

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I keep seeing Kahr and Glock 26 comimg up. I had a Kahr that I liked when I first got it but the more I shot it, not so much. Will have her look at the Glock real good. Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Glock 26, gen 3, preferably made 2009 and before. This is the perfect handgun in my very biased opinion.

Before you commit, go to a range and rent some handguns to shoot, pick the one that feels the best and shoots the best.

Best of luck
    I don't think any ranges around Fort Wayne rent guns. I wish they did.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We have been looking for a M&P shield for her, but about to give up. What would your choice be? It needs to be small because she is, and she wants to conceal carry. Looking for a striker fired 9mm. We are going out looking and handling tomorrow. Would like to hear your suggestions before we go. Thanks.

Compact is nearly the same size. Easier to find holsters and magazines for.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    OkieGirl has the 9c and likes it ok. It shoots well. She doesn't like so much that it's a doublestack when it comes to EDC.

Since Shields are not to be found, she's looking to buy a CW9.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I don't think any ranges around Fort Wayne rent guns. I wish they did.

I see, that makes it a bit more challenging, but no worries. The Glock 26 is a gold standard, you can buy one used in the 400-500 dollar range and always get your money back, quickly.

The Glock 26 is small, yet can use a 33 round magazine. Should you pick up a Glock 17 or 19, the larger sized 9mm, the Glock 26 will also accept those magazines.

There are grip extension that allow the 26 to be used as a larger pistol, which makes the pistol very versatile whether it be CC or OC.

For a small handgun, it's scary accurate.

Ease of maintenance, Glock Reliability out of the box, resale, ease of use, the tennifer finish resists rusting, the polymer finish is good in the dirt, mud, snow and inclement weather.

I could go on, but there is a wealth of information on the internet singing the praises of the Glock 26.

All that being said, your wife may not like it and that would be ok too.

Best of luck and if you choose a handgun, then later find out you want something different, you won't be alone in that regard. Just sell it and find the one that is right for you and the Mrs, well, actually your opinion doesn't count. Get the one that Mrs Sartwell likes to carry and shoot.

Happy wife, happy life. :)

spence1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd rather have the M&P 9c instead of the Shield...

+1 for the mp9c.

I'm a male with very small hands. I also wanted a shield because of the slim grip of the shield but got frustrated because I like you couldn't find one either. So I went and handled a 9c. And with the "small backstrap" it fits my hand just fine.

Top Bottom