• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive been wanting to do a AR pistol build with the Sig brace. I had decided on a 10.5" build in 5.56 but have really been liking the idea of doing it in 9mm. Little cheaper ammo and such and to have something a little different. My question to those who have the 9mm ARs are they reliable? what should I look for as far as the lower goes? Any other info that could help a guy out! Thanks fellas!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have an RRA 9mm carbine and it runs perfect with their metal mags. Not sure what brand they are, but I'm sure they buy them from somebody. The C-products mags are junk, never could get them to run. I plan on having the barrel chopped down to 5" this winter and making it an SBR.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have the RRA 9mm too. It runs great. The factory mags work good and of course the colt and metalform mags run perfectly. I've actually never had any trouble with my two pro mags, but I dont think they will last up to longevity. I have the dedicated 9mm lower. Bought it as a complete setup.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I may honestly look into buying a complete rifle. It looks to be pretty pricy to build one by the time you buy the bolt and mag block.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I use a Colt 9mm and HK MP5 SMG for work and no problems with th MP5 but with the Colt some JHP ammo it is iffy. The problem is on some designs th cavity gets caught up on the feed ramp Federal 9bp is the worst . Longer bullets/ogive.s like silvertips work better. With ball ammo Zero issues.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ok thanks for the info! After looking at RRAs website I really like their 10.5" model but would still cost me about 1k I'd say. Plus I'd still end up changing the handguard. Probably just be best to build what I want I guess.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have:
    CMMG 9mm 16" AR, it's been 100%.

Built a SBR 9mm AR with TROS 5" Barrel. It's sweetness & has been 100%. Basics of build:
    Spikes Upper & Lower
    Hahn Dedicated mag well adapter. (initially used spikes enhanced magwell adapter which worked as long as you "gently" inserted mags)
    CMMG Ramped Bolt
    Gas Buster Charging Handle (needs a bit of dremel work due to ramped bolt)
    Spikes Battle Trigger & LPK
    3-lug adapter for can.
    Spikes Buffer Mil Spec

Nice thing about it, no gas tube, all recoil driven, very easy to assemble.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Mine is almost all Rock River, with a 5" Tros barrel and Daniel Defense rail since I didn't care for RRA's. I also put a Spikes ST-9X buffer in it. It's ran 100% reliable, and a blast to shoot. I only use Metalform mags now, found the C-Products and Pro-Mag ones to be less reliable. Whatever you do though, get a proprietary upper. The mag block things hold the mag in fine, but the problem is not all mags will fit in it or drop free. Not an issue with the proprietary ones though, because theirs more room to work with since your not cramming an adapter and a magazine into the magwell. The only negative I can think of with the RRA model is the BCG is not ramped, so you'll need a proprietary hammer. This can be fixed though with a simple trip to M60Joe.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's looks absolutely bada$$ I wonder what they will cost? Anyone know?.....

Sig sets MSRP high, but when they were first announced, full blown MSRP I think was $2k or a little more.

Price has dropped on them, I don't know if Sig is trying to compete hard for the 9mm AR market or they figured they'd sell more at a lower price, but MSRP is now a little over $1700, meaning probably $1350-$1500

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you come to the Kokomo gunshow, you can see a 9mm build that I did with an 7.5" barrel and KX3 in a YHM 9mm upper that does not require the funny short brass deflector. If you aren't going, I can take a pic.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I actually prefer the ProMag conversion blocks. They are slick, have an internal bolt stop to help if you don't have the 9mm bolt stop installed in your upper and are inexpensive compared to a Hahn.

I am working on pics of the upper I have.

Top Bottom