• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rural King is having this sale.
    Last summer I bought 3k/rounds of 9mm (Perfecta: 1000/$200, no tax/individual)
    b/c I thought it was stellar deal (had been buying at the range).

Is this as good as it gets for range caliber for this brand/quality?
    Should I jump on this even though I have no immediate need b/c this price never comes around?
    Or, relax b/c it happens from time to time (which is what I want to hear :dunno: ).

speer-9mm.jpg

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    You just need to keep your eyes open. I will never buy a box of ammo from the range after seeing their prices. Cabelas has cheaper ammo. The best thing I can recommend is using ammoseek and comparing prices. If you are hesitant about a certain seller, ask on here about them, and I'm sure someone will have some first hand experience.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=cci5000bk1000

Almost identical in price after you factor in shipping or taxes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It does happen from time to time honestly. But if you have a spare 180 laying around I would buy it. Never know when the next thing might happen and ammo disappears again
    1. Since I have so much already, I won't get in a hurry.

You just need to keep your eyes open. I will never buy a box of ammo from the range after seeing their prices. Cabelas has cheaper ammo. The best thing I can recommend is using ammoseek and comparing prices. If you are hesitant about a certain seller, ask on here about them, and I'm sure someone will have some first hand experience.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=cci5000bk1000

Almost identical in price after you factor in shipping or taxes.

2. Thanks for the tip. I do like buying locally when I can.
    3. The problem I would have with AmmoSeek is that since they have ammo beginning at 14 cents/round, is getting something too cheap and it would be detrimental.
    4. I think (based on my
    limited experience) that I could use a "lesser" brand in my revolver, but not so much in my semis.

Last edited:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Just remember the price they show is the "after rebate" price. You will pay full price when you buy it and receive the rebate in the form of a Rural King gift card.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    2. Thanks for the tip. I do like buying locally when I can.
    3. The problem I would have with AmmoSeek is that since they have ammo beginning at 14 cents/round, is getting something too cheap and it would be detrimental.
    4. I think (based on my
    limited experience) that I could use a "lesser" brand in my revolver, but not so much in my semis.

I always change my settings to 115gr, brass cased, and new ammunition. This takes a lot of the cheaper, no-name brands out of the equation. My last bulk 9mm purchase was Winchester White Box for 15.6 cents/round from Meijer. Just keep looking!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just remember the price they show is the "after rebate" price. You will pay full price when you buy it and receive the rebate in the form of a Rural King gift card.

1. Well, that is not as fun, but I suppose I could buy ammo with it, but it does take away from the allure.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I always change my settings to 115gr, brass cased, and new ammunition. This takes a lot of the cheaper, no-name brands out of the equation. My last bulk 9mm purchase was Winchester White Box for 15.6 cents/round from Meijer. Just keep looking!

1. Thanks, really, for the heads-up. Many who have been around the block a few times forget there are gaping holes in newbs knowledge, and especially about ammo since many have many opinions. I do appreciate it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It''s $190 after you pay sales tax. I see that “final“ price online more and more lately,

Yep...SGAmmo and Target Sports USA both have it at ~$0.19/ round shipped. 17-19 cents per round seems to be the normal current pricing for 9mm.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I got a better deal on the Remington bucket of bullets after the rebate. Since I reload, I have to get a very good deal to make it worthwhile. I also have to figure that I can reload the brass, so no aluminum or steel cased ammo for me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I get a better deal by rolling my own. I don't even consider the cost of brass in my equation for reloading anymore as I have picked up tons. I can do roughly 100 in 10 min so figure 600/hr. With my inputs from the last supply run for powder($25/lb) at 4.3grs/ round, primers ($30/1000), and bullets($75.05/1000) it comes to .12/per round factor in the 9/hr which comes to .015 cents labor per round and we get .135 per round. I'm sure if you cast your own lead and get it for free you can probably cut a few more cents off.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I get a better deal by rolling my own. I don't even consider the cost of brass in my equation for reloading anymore as I have picked up tons. I can do roughly 100 in 10 min so figure 600/hr. With my inputs from the last supply run for powder($25/lb) at 4.3grs/ round, primers ($30/1000), and bullets($75.05/1000) it comes to .12/per round factor in the 9/hr which comes to .015 cents labor per round and we get .135 per round. I'm sure if you cast your own lead and get it for free you can probably cut a few more cents off.
    You must be using cast lead bullets. I have been using FMJ 115 gr. Hornady bullets that I purchased in bulk, many years ago. My current cost is 11.3 cents per round. I don't consider the cost of my labor, as I'm retired. I actually had a fellow give me a bunch of cast lead 125 gr. 9mm cast lead bullets a few years ago, along with a lot of brass and other caliber reloading components. The cost came out to about 2.3 cents per round!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You must be using cast lead bullets. I have been using FMJ 115 gr. Hornady bullets that I purchased in bulk, many years ago. My current cost is 11.3 cents per round. I don't consider the cost of my labor, as I'm retired. I actually had a fellow give me a bunch of cast lead 125 gr. 9mm cast lead bullets a few years ago, along with a lot of brass and other caliber reloading components. The cost came out to about 2.3 cents per round!

I use 9mm FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading. They offer a 5% discount if you belong to another forum they belong to. Some of us aren't as cool as you to be retired, so I figure add the cost which if going by minimum wage is really nothing added. Then again if you haven't recouped your reloading equipment cost yet then the number would be higher if you wanted to add that in.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I use 9mm FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading. They offer a 5% discount if you belong to another forum they belong to. Some of us aren't as cool as you to be retired, so I figure add the cost which if going by minimum wage is really nothing added. Then again if you haven't recouped your reloading equipment cost yet then the number would be higher if you wanted to add that in.
    One of the advantages of being a drooling old reloader is that I amortized all of my equipment long ago. One thing to remember regarding equipment, is that it still retains value on the used market.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    One of the advantages of being a drooling old reloader is that I amortized all of my equipment long ago. One thing to remember regarding equipment, is that it still retains value on the used market.

That is true. Though if you really want to go deep in that rabbit hole then you would have to add inflation, but if you're going that far to see if reloading saves you money you might as well just keep buying from the store. The only ammo I will buy is personal defense ammo and steel case 39.

Top Bottom