• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    While all guns have their loads they like. The issue with 115 factory loaded range ammo is a couple things.

1st 9mm 115 ball target range fodder is made or put together about as cheap as it can be. 2 while no it’s not a sniper round or anything I also believe the mass on 115 ball can sometimes be just enough less than 124-147 that you can see some diminishing accuracy. Nothing that makes it unsuitable to put it in a A zone but not match grade either.
    Now I use to be issued Federal 9bp 115 JHP and it was a lot more accurate than any ball 115 so if it’s a premium load it should (should) shoot better than ball

I have. Early S&W M&P that shoots like a laser with 115, 124 and 147 and probably would of unloaded white rocks in a case too LOL

My Sig 226 Legion while is pretty accurate with anything a 124 and 147 is night and day difference better!
    I should have been more clear, in case I was misunderstood. The 115 gr wasn't all over the place in the sense of target placement, but when you go to buy ammo 115 is all over the place.

You are absolutely right. The best ammo in my 92 may not be the best out of my 9 mm carbine or a different handgun.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I should have been more clear, in case I was misunderstood. The 115 gr wasn't all over the place in the sense of target placement, but when you go to buy ammo 115 is all over the place.

You are absolutely right. The best ammo in my 92 may not be the best out of my 9 mm carbine or a different handgun.
    115 is fine for poking paper but for matches I really like 124 NATO at 1,200 FPS (1,150 will do) or any 147 and they are more accurate and work better on steel pepper poppers than any 115.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    115 for cheap blasting. 124 grains are more accurate because of the longer bearing surface so shoot them for target working or self defense

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Looking at several options for a Glock 43. Ammunitiondepot.com has a 115gr Federal Hi-Shok JHP, a 124gr Nosler +P JHP, and 147gr JHP on sale right now and was going to pick up a couple hundred rounds. Wanting something with less felt recoil for my wife since it's a subcompact.

Typically lean towards a 124gr and it's my understanding the +p will be fine but will be hotter.

147gr is .39 per round, but I'm not sure how that will perform in a G43. Don't want to buy a shload of it and not like how it shoots.

Any advice?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Looking at several options for a Glock 43. Ammunitiondepot.com has a 115gr Federal Hi-Shok JHP, a 124gr Nosler +P JHP, and 147gr JHP on sale right now and was going to pick up a couple hundred rounds. Wanting something with less felt recoil for my wife since it's a subcompact.

Typically lean towards a 124gr and it's my understanding the +p will be fine but will be hotter.

147gr is .39 per round, but I'm not sure how that will perform in a G43. Don't want to buy a shload of it and not like how it shoots.

Any advice?

I can make you a few rounds to test out, rather than stocking up on ammo that doesn’t fit your fancy.

Also, $0.39 for 147s seems a bit much. Everglades makes very effective JHP bullets I’ve used to dispatch critters large and small.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I can make you a few rounds to test out, rather than stocking up on ammo that doesn’t fit your fancy.

Also, $0.39 for 147s seems a bit much. Everglades makes very effective JHP bullets I’ve used to dispatch critters large and small.
    Appreciate the offer! I could also do the reasonable thing and buy a few test boxes to see what it likes to eat before buying bulk haha. But that's normally not my style, I'm more of the ready, fire, aim type!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

Any advice?
    The Federal 9BP while it isn’t a big gel champion has done quite well in real street shootings both standard and the Illinois Plus P Plus variant

Another good option that’s light recoiling is the 115 Gold Dot and Critical Defense they work really well out of short barrels.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I like 124gr over 115gr.
    My favorite is 147gr.
    The heavier the bullet the more penetration in 9mm.

All I have for loading 9mm nowadays is CFE Pistol and Longshot.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Bought a bunch of missouri coated "small ball" in 124 grain and they were very accurate out of most of my 9mm pistols. .356 diameter which i don't see many talking about diameter which can have a big impact on accuracy! I only load bullets in 9mm of 356 diameter also.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The best of the best were shooting 147gr loads when I started into 9mm. They wanted soft shooting and quick recovering. I've never shot anything but heavy for caliber 9mm.

Cheeseburgr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2024
    Puyallup
    I don't think anyone actually prefers shooting 115 vs 124. 124 is just usually a bit more expensive, the felt recoil in factory loads is nicer in 124. If you can get them in the same price or near it, go for the heavier bullet

Top Bottom