• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted 40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I now own a 92 fs. Bought it because I didn't have a 9, also wanted a gun that would hold up to range use.

Purchased a few boxes of ammo all (115 grain) and went to the range.
    gun shoots very low. rear sight is not adjustable.

Someone told me to look for heavier bullets "124 grain or more", and it would proabaly solve my problem.

Does this make sense?

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    What distance are u shooting from? Might be worth sending it in or investing in different sights..Mine came with trijicon night sights and its pretty accurate with even the cheapest lightest ammo

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The idea using a heavier bullet is it leaving the barrel a fraction of a second later during recoil, thus raising your point of aim slightly... Not 6-8 inchs...

Have you ever had same issue with any others shooting low ? Asking because it sounds more like since it is new to you, that you might be anticipating recoil... if that were to be the case, more range time along with some dry firing, will improve it more than switching bullet weights...

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    are you shooting from a bench or standing? i think what several of us are getting at, is have you ruled out the shooter before you call foul on the gun?

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    its you. my unlce did the exact same thing with mine. i dont know how he was doing it but he would shoot it and it would be at the bottom of the target. i would shoot the next round and it would be center mass. he did that for about 50 rounds until he changed how he was looking down the sights

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A heavier bullet is going to have a slighter lower velocity. Before you tag the gun as the problem. I would try either.

1. Have someone else try shooting it.
    2. Or, shoot it off of a rest or sand bag.

I have a lot of experience with the 92FS. I aim center of target. It hits where I aim. Where are you aiming with your front sight relative to the target? Also, slapping the trigger instead of squeezing it can cause you to shoot low. Something else you can try at home is this. Find something to aim at (make sure the gun is unloaded). Place a penny on top of the front sight. Squeeze the trigger without causing the penny to fall off. That will help make sure you are using proper trigger control. Also, when you line up your sights. Make sure the top of the front sight is level with top of the notch on your rear sight. Hope that helps.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I had some trouble shooting low when I bought mine. Some people are not used to that kind of a trigger especially if they do shoot a Glock or XD. I did a lot of shooting with it and I can now hit with it. I would also recommend replacing the plastic guide rod and getting a stainless steel one. This will help but practice is needed.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Before you do anything, let someone else shoot it, and don't say a thing about it shooting low. See if they can reproduce the results.

:+1:

When diagnosing a problem like this, change only one variable at a time. Also start with the cheapest and easiest ones to reverse.

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    I would agree, try having someone else shoot it. For some reason, I developed a little bit of a flinch the last time I had to qualify. I was still able to qualify, but I was throwing rounds the same way. When I bought one for goofing around at home, I was still doing it. I little trigger work and everything is just fine.

Who knows, it might be the weapon. But like a couple others have said, start with the easiest variable and go from there. Good luck!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    It is funny...I took my Beretta 92fs out for the first time yesterday...and I had the same problem, it was shooting low at 25 yds. I am going to buy an adjustable rear sight. One of the problems is everyone seems to be out of them. I found that Galanti has them right now but they are out of the white outline ones and the ones with the 2 white dots. They do have the all black ones.

Ted 40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone-- for your appreciated input.

Before I do anything else---I will spend more range time with this gun to try and eliminate some of the possible variables--myself included. But again thanks to all who offered advice!

Ted 40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I did spend more time on range. I also shot this from a rest-- Gun shoots very tight patterns not low at all from a rest. And with practice my groups moved up, obviously I am the problem, not the gun. I loaded 500 rounds last week and expect to get better with time. Again thanks for the advice!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I did spend more time on range. I also shot this from a rest-- Gun shoots very tight patterns not low at all from a rest. And with practice my groups moved up, obviously I am the problem, not the gun. I loaded 500 rounds last week and expect to get better with time. Again thanks for the advice!

Glad to hear things are working out, and Kudos for manning up and letting us know that it was the shooter, not the gun. :yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Step 1
    Before you do anything, let someone else shoot it, and don't say a thing about it shooting low. See if they can reproduce the results.

Step 2
    Shoot it from a solid rest so you know with out a doubt it's pointed at what you want to hit when you pull the trigger.

If step two hit's BE (bull's eyes) and the other person hit's BE then you are doing something wrong, sight alignment, jerking the trigger, flinching.

If the other person hit's BE and 2 does not have them shoot it from a solid rest. If this results in BE both times on their part sell them the gun and get a shotgun.

If every one hits in the same place, low, in all cases then set up two targets. One to aime at and the other to measure groups and test for the most consistant best groups and test for other groups closer to POA at the same time.

When you find amo you like for every thing except Point of Impact then...

Step 3
    File the front sight down?

Top Bottom