• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Is one step closer!:rockwoot: Got a package from Carolina Shooter Supply today containing some goodies. This will be my first Saiga conversion (on my 7.62). After watching the vids posted by CSS on youtube it doesn't look that bad. My thought was I assembled an AR lower by watching a youtube vid and not having any previous experience with the AR platform so I figured I give this a shot. Wish me luck!

Side note: Depending on how work goes the next 2 days I may not get around to this until Saturday.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    let me know if you want to rivet a new trigger guard. Ive got the jig and the press, and Ive actually done a couple as well! ;)

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I think I'm going to use the supplied bolts with loctite to assemble the trigger guard. At least for starters. Thanks for the offer though.

The gun is disassembled and the paint is drying. Should have this bad boy put together in the afternoon.

Some things I have learned from this...
    1-I need a new...better drill.
    2-Better drill bits would be nice.
    3-A dremel. For the love of God I am going to buy one.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL, I did my 7.62 conversion a few week's ago and I DID NOT HAVE A DRILL! Did the whole thing with just the dremel. Every man needs a dremel, so go get one! :yesway:

What setup are you going with?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Nothing fancy. I didn't feel like breaking the bank on this so it's mainly Tapco stuff. G2 trigger, 6 position stock, saw grip and an intrafuse forearm. Even though the all wood furniture would've been nice.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Have you done the tap for the bullet guide yet?

If you seen my build, you should know to be extra careful on that step.

Post pics when u get-r-done!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Totally agree on the Dremel for the conversion. First time I drilled the rivets. Ever since, uhhh.... Dremel. Don't know if the rifles differ significantly from the shottys... but good for you for going for it!

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I knew I was forgetting to do something...pic!

IMG_0027.jpg

Now the wait begins for the Jan. 1500 to purchase a S12.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Finally got around to getting the bullet guide installed. Much like Mr. Jag I did the same thing and broke the tap. That is what really set me back on this. I was at a buddy's house this evening and he hooked me up with a much better tap and got everything going. I didn't have any problems drilling the hole for it but that tap snapped like a twig.
    IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

I did get to shoot this thing today but not with the bullet guide installed. I used the factory 10 rounder just to run some shells through it. Everything seemed to work fine. No ftf's or fte's. The trigger reset each time (this is the problem I was having and what made me want to do the conversion).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When you guys are using the tap, are you backing up after each 90 degrees of cutting? I wonder if the taps supplied might be cheaper quality. I've had success with cheap taps, but you have to clear the threads quite often and go slow.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    When you guys are using the tap, are you backing up after each 90 degrees of cutting? I wonder if the taps supplied might be cheaper quality. I've had success with cheap taps, but you have to clear the threads quite often and go slow.

I was backing up but I believe I put too much torque on it while trying to thread it.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Man, I TRIED TO WARN YOU!!!! But no, nobody listens to Mr. JAG, cuz he is an idiot.

lol, jk.

The factory mag has the bullet guide built in, so there is no surprise that it didn't have any failures. It's the real AK mags that need the bullet guide, and even then it's usually only needed on the last round (or so I've heard).

88E30M50: I broke my tap when it got real tough to turn, and I accidentally put some side pressure on it ( I was backing up every 1/4 turn). The second tap, I was so paranoid that I only did 1/8-1/4 turns, back the tap all the way out, cleaned the tap and the hole, re-greased, and went in for another 1/8-1/4 turn. I repeated this until I was all the way through. It took forever, but I wasn't about to deal with another broken tap again.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can someone enlighten me as to why so many people do this conversion. I personally like the look and feel of my Saiga 223. What am i missing out on?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can someone enlighten me as to why so many people do this conversion. I personally like the look and feel of my Saiga 223. What am i missing out on?

To me, I bought a Saiga to have an AK.... not an AK styled rifle with really cheap furniture. If you like yours, that is all the matters.

folder2.png

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan

For me it was the trigger not wanting to reset. I could pull the trigger 3 or 4 more times before it finally reset and could fire the next shot. Another way was to function the action but then I would just dump a live round out in order to shoot the next. I bought this gun in Jan. '07 and it has less than a 100 rounds through it; that's it. Now that it appears to be in better operating order I can enjoy this gun more.:ar15:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Today I took the 7.62 and the 12 out to run some rounds through them. This was the first I had shot the 7.62 with the bullet guide installed. I put 70 rounds through it and had no failures (30 rounds through an AK mag, 30 through a Surefire Saiga mag and 10 through the factory mag). This was my first outing with the 12 since I bought it Monday. I took 5 rounds of each kind of shell I had (Federal 8 shot, Winchester 7 1/2, Winchester 00 and Federal 3in rifled slugs). The first mag was loaded with Fed. 8 shot. The first shot was a FTE. The next 4 plus the Win. 7 1/2's all ejected fine. I then fired the 00 buck followed by the slugs. I left the gas setting on 2 for all shots. The shells from the 00 and slugs ejected a good 10-15 feet out of the gun. I was not expecting that. This week I should have my conversion parts for the 12.

Top Bottom