• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I lived in Pittsburgh (not the burbs, but the city of Pittsburgh) for a few years. I had a car stolen and was told to call 911 (stupid right?)

So it definitely took a few minutes to get through to someone. All the while I thought "what if it was an actual emergency?"

So that's my story, I'd hope small town Indiana would be more efficient. Thank the Lord I haven't had to call 911 yet to know for sure.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I called 911 numerous times in Marion County for back-up when I use to work Loss Prevention at Lafayette Square Mall back in 2006 - 2011 for shoplifters pulling knives, wanting to fight, fleeing on foot, medical calls, etc and numerous times got something like this:

"All 911 dispatchers are assisting other callers. If it is safe to do so please remain on the line and your call will be aswered shortly. If you are in danger please seak shelter and attempt your call again later."

I think the longest I have waited was 10-minutes and it was for a medical call when a customer was having a seizure in the store.

Now that I am in law enforcement I hang out in dispatch quite often and I can see how a single dispatcher can get overwhelmed with calls pretty quickly and there may be some wait time if it gets crazy enough.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    911 in Hendricks County (witnessed a serious crash) - answered within a couple of rings, and had LE and medic there in 6 minutes.

911 in Marion County (guy drove into Eagle Creek Res.) - answered in a couple of rings, and had folks on-scene in about 5 minutes.

5 minutes is a LONG time when someone is dying.

It's also a long time when someone is kicking down your front door!
    But, I think I'm preaching to choir when I say that here.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    5 minutes is a LONG time when someone is dying.

Yes, it is. Ambulance and Fire (and Police too, but rarely seen) still have to drive with Due Regard though. If the ambulance crashes on the way, it will take even longer for help to arrive.

Also, accurate descriptions to dispatch are a big factor.
    "My husband just fell and I need help getting him up" is not the same as "My 85yo husband just fell and is not breathing".

Not trying to hurt anyones feelings, but public in general does not know what constitutes an "emergency". If the call is not life threatening, I am not going to (excessively) risk my life and the life of my partner to get there 30 seconds sooner. On the other hand, if it is a life emergency, the training pays off.

Top Bottom