• ...and so much more!
  • 1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I've never had any luck making time going north on I65. I've made the trip from where I used to live, in rural Indiana, to Bowling Green, KY numerous times in less than 1 hour and 45 minutes. I'm not telling what my record time was
    Kentucky must not care about speeders. On numerous trips between Indiana and Nashville I’ve seen 10-15 cars in a line in KY who must have been pushing 100 mph zoom past Troopers parked in the median with no effort to slow them down.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Kentucky must not care about speeders. On numerous trips between Indiana and Nashville I’ve seen 10-15 cars in a line in KY who must have been pushing 100 mph zoom past Troopers parked in the median with no effort to slow them down.
    They must have been drug enforcement, not highway patrol that day. Speed limit is the speed limit. I mostly stay out of the fast lane but if I need to pass, you can just suck it up and take those extra few seconds it takes to wait for me. The assholes are the impatient speeders who think they're so special that we should all just get outta their way. Bite my DOT bumper, turd knots.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I'm not making this up... I drive a little 3-cylinder Chevy Spark and it is all I can do to maintain 70mph on a highway. I recently decided to take the back roads on a short trip because I'm so freaking tired of nearly getting run over because I'm "only" going 70 in the right lane. A couple weeks later I get a ticket in the mail for going 37 in a 25!

Some sort of automated thing took a photo. I was on country roads in the middle of nowhere the whole time, I have no idea where there could have been a 25 mph zone. WTF?
    Wait a sec. Ok, so your car can only go 70mph. What was the speed limit on said highway? Maybe... 70? 65? So what’s the problem? Was there more than one lane going in your direction and were you in the right lane?

Yes I see all the “you’re going to get run over if you aren’t goin 100” or whatever comments, but has anyone actually gotten run over for doing close to the limit, and in the right lane? The answer is no. Most of the semi trucks on the road are going near the limit. Are they getting run over too? That answer is equally no. I’ve done the Chicago-Indy route more times than i can count and - at least since I called myself an adult - often drafted trucks near the limit and had amazingly low stress drives. Not always of course, but I figure if someone is in a big hurry, they can pass in the left lane. If me doing limit or 5-10 over in the right lane isn’t fast enough, well that racer wannabe can **** right off. Doesn’t bother me a bit. Dunno why it bothers anyone else.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I drive about 40k miles a year, mostly interstate. I-65 is the worst. I mean it’s bad all the way from Alabama to Chicago. Indiana is actually slower traffic then farther south.

Biggest issue I see are the trucks that try to pass in the left lane. The 70 mph truck passing the 65 mph governed truck really causes a bottleneck. Worst yet are the over 70 mph trucks because when they are in a wreck it is really bad. Seems like there have more bad wrecks involving semis lately. Point is right lane is for the trucks.

If I am pulling a trailer I like to stay in the right lane and pace the semis. Otherwise I pretty much set the cruise at 75 mph and leave it. So long as I am not in the parking lot known as I-65 all is good. I get wanting to go faster but fuel economy really starts to drop fast over 75 mph. Also around 77-78 my pickup just doesn’t handle as well, starts to feel loose on the road. Yeah I want to get home, especially after being away for a couple of days. But the operative word is I want to get home. I have seen my fair share of what happens when somebody screws up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wait a sec. Ok, so your car can only go 70mph. What was the speed limit on said highway? Maybe... 70? 65? So what’s the problem? Was there more than one lane going in your direction and were you in the right lane?

Yes I see all the “you’re going to get run over if you aren’t goin 100” or whatever comments, but has anyone actually gotten run over for doing close to the limit, and in the right lane? The answer is no. Most of the semi trucks on the road are going near the limit. Are they getting run over too? That answer is equally no. I’ve done the Chicago-Indy route more times than i can count and - at least since I called myself an adult - often drafted trucks near the limit and had amazingly low stress drives. Not always of course, but I figure if someone is in a big hurry, they can pass in the left lane. If me doing limit or 5-10 over in the right lane isn’t fast enough, well that racer wannabe can **** right off. Doesn’t bother me a bit. Dunno why it bothers anyone else.
    And this is what I was referring to early in the thread. Ease up and drive as you wish. Sounds like you have it all figured out.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I'm not making this up... I drive a little 3-cylinder Chevy Spark and it is all I can do to maintain 70mph on a highway. I recently decided to take the back roads on a short trip because I'm so freaking tired of nearly getting run over because I'm "only" going 70 in the right lane. A couple weeks later I get a ticket in the mail for going 37 in a 25!

Some sort of automated thing took a photo. I was on country roads in the middle of nowhere the whole time, I have no idea where there could have been a 25 mph zone. WTF?
    Hold my beer, bro...I drive a VW Vanagon Westfalia 8 months out of the year and I drive a LOT of highway...because I pay taxes too, lol.

4500lbs of German steel being pushed by a 95hp 2.1L flat four at 60mph cruising speed at 3400rpms and I get 18 mpg. Sure, it makes people mad for a minute...then I flip them off and they can’t help but smile at the irony of getting the bird from some former Marine in a hippie van.

Slow and low, that is the tempo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hold my beer, bro...I drive a VW Vanagon Westfalia 8 months out of the year and I drive a LOT of highway...because I pay taxes too, lol.

4500lbs of German steel being pushed by a 95hp 2.1L flat four at 60mph cruising speed at 3400rpms and I get 18 mpg. Sure, it makes people mad for a minute...then I flip them off and they can’t help but smile at the irony of getting the bird from some former Marine in a hippie van.

Slow and low, that is the tempo.
    I never give anyone brave enough to roll a VW on the big road any :poop: as long as they keep it in the right lane. We used to use a VW bus to haul my PA system for the band and it was hopped up and still a turd on the big road. Much respect.

And even the sparky drivers. Just use the proper lane and roll on.

Top Bottom