• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've got a family member who had a broken hip from a car accident. She layed up in the hospital for a little over a year and gained massive amounts of weight because she had to be imoble. Since she gained all the weight, she's not been able to walk correctly, let alone excersize to lose the weight. Now she has 2 bad knees from the excess weight and can not walk. So it's not always because some one's fed them massive amounts of food or because the person is a lazy POS. Sometimes, people just get injured. I'm not saying the guy in the article is legit by any means. Just saying you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

And if I ever get to the point that I can't clean myself, some one please shoot me in the head, please. I'd sooner get a colostemy bag/**** tube before I'd lay in a chair and **** myself. Even if I'd have to do it myself and use duct tape.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys have the right to believe and say what you want.

This is a rhetorical question (i.e. one that does not solicit and answer, but rather some thought/introspection): what need inside of you is fulfilled by the criticism, derision, and stating specifically that you have no sympathy? Will anyone benefit from that in any way?

I will end with a comment, again not seeking any response, that if you think you understand how this happens, you really don't. It's entirely possible that most have no interest in any true level of understanding, which is a legitimate position. Life is too big and too complicated to worry over everything you hear about it. Given that, I suggest that if you actually believe you truly understand this kind of thing, quite simply you are wrong.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Gotta say...stories like this make me so proud of my cousin, Dave.
    He LOST over 500 pounds and is still working on it, even after being recently diagnosed with MS.
    He walks every day, but now has to use a cane (due to the degenerative nature of MS catching up with him).
    Talk about having willpower to change things for yourself for the better...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

This is a rhetorical question (i.e. one that does not solicit and answer, but rather some thought/introspection): what need inside of you is fulfilled by the criticism, derision, and stating specifically that you have no sympathy? Will anyone benefit from that in any way?

I will end with a comment, again not seeking any response, that if you think you understand how this happens, you really don't. It's entirely possible that most have no interest in any true level of understanding, which is a legitimate position. Life is too big and too complicated to worry over everything you hear about it. Given that, I suggest that if you actually believe you truly understand this kind of thing, quite simply you are wrong.

You know, just because someone types off a quick comment does not mean thay have no sympathy, do we always have to kumby-ya everything we type. Ease up bro, it's just a post. Sometimes we are just blowing off steam, while our fingers our still thin enough to hit the keys.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    This gives me some hope... not all worthless people can leach off the system.

I have no sympathy for this man, you let yourself get to this point.

Seriously though, I'm driving the bus to hell if anyone needs a ride.

I hate it when gigantic fat people get handicapped tags. I'm sorry, if self loathing has pushed you towards being able to weigh yourself in tonnage, you need a special spot in the back corner of the parking lot instead of the front so you can walk off some of their misery.
    Agree 100% with you guys, no busride to hell for us needed as gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. He got what he deserved, I know a lot of people that have had injuries, 50 lbs, 60 lbs, gained in a year.....okay it happens. To get to 900........ you earned that one. Hopefully they don't get a dime from the government because it's obvious what the mom is going to spend it on.
    at least he went out with his dignity intact.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I understand what you are saying here Rhino. I come from a family with several obese people. My mother was 4'10" and over 300 pounds for most of my life. Most obese people aren't obese simply due to health issues. There are usually emotional or pyschological issues.

I've watched every season of The Biggest Loser and it is amazing how the contestants change their lives. The trainers work very hard to get these people through their emotional problems and stress very hard that if they don't fix their emotional issues, they will just put the weight right back on.

This season, there is a lady who lost her husband and 2 children (1 was just a baby) in a car wreck. Another lady's mother was a heroin addict. She grew up hiding in hotel room closets while her mother was turning tricks to get her next fix and she watched her die from drugs.

With all that said, these people have to do this themselves. No amount of miracle weight loss diets, drugs or surgeries will last if they don't fix the underlying emotional issues that cause them to over eat, be sedentary, etc. While I sympathize for what they've been through, my sympathy dries up when someone has every excuse under the sun and refuse to look in the mirror. Life sucks and you have to deal with the hand that you were dealt. If your genetics are working against you, you need to overcome it. Blaming your family tree doesn't take the pounds off.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I've got a family member who had a broken hip from a car accident. She layed up in the hospital for a little over a year and gained massive amounts of weight because she had to be imoble. Since she gained all the weight, she's not been able to walk correctly, let alone excersize to lose the weight. Now she has 2 bad knees from the excess weight and can not walk. So it's not always because some one's fed them massive amounts of food or because the person is a lazy POS. Sometimes, people just get injured. I'm not saying the guy in the article is legit by any means. Just saying you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

If she did not have a glandular problem or something, all she had to do was cut back calorie intake and she would've been fine.

900 lbs from sitting due to a "knee injury"? Wow, that's the ultimate in willpower fail. Honestly, I can't even gain 5 lbs sitting around for 6 months, let alone 9. That is just the ultimate stupidity and laziness that I abhor to no end.

Come on now, it was probably more like 150-200lbs for sitting 9 months due to a "knee injury". It was just adding that too the existing 700lbs that was the problem.

Short of people with sever glandular problems, it's simple calories in vs calories out. If your basal metobalic rate is 1500 calories a day (what you would burn if you laid in bed all day), and you are eating 3000 calories a day, you're going to put on weight, period. Now, if you eat just shy of 1500 every day, you will maintain your current weight or even lose a bit over time.

It bascially comes down to self control. PUT DOWN THE FORK!

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    The thing about this story that gets me is that if someone in my family was stuck in a chair I would get him out or get him help ASAP, that is what family does. The only person you can blame here is the wife; how are you going to let someone sit in their own filth for nine months because they couldn't get disability? and that is really the point here.

People get messed up (mentally and physically) people lose jobs, cars break down, bad stuff happens and you have a choice, I can do something about it, or I can curl up and DIE.

People need to learn that you can't trust anyone to take care of you especially not the GOV.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I personally agree with just about everyone on both sides of this issue in varying degrees.

Unfortunately, fat people are the last segment of society that are socially acceptable to ridicule, taunt, and talk about with general disdain.

IMHO the bigger problem is we continue to allow obesity to be socially acceptable. We make fun of it but on the other hand do nothing to stop it.

We even put motorized carts in grocery stores so fat people don't have to exert themselves buying another stockpile of unhealthy processed foods. Seriously, I don't know if I have ever seen someone use those carts who actually needed them for a reason unrelated to obesity.

Obesity appears to be every bit as much psychological as it does physiological. Which is why I struggle with parents letting their kids get fat. As parents we screw our kids up psychologically enough - why let them carry the baggage of being a big fatty too?

So long as the McDonald's drive thru is considered an acceptable meal choice for the American family of four we will have an obesity epidemic.

Our culture and ease of lifestyle will continue to churn out fatties and we all must just get up off our arses a little more often.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I refuse to say where but it is in central Indiana, my fire department assisted another fire department after a 600 lbs man fell through the floor in his house. They were there for almost 5 hours trying to "free" the man.

I feel no sympathy for people this large, I am tired or seeing fat or lazy people ride around in powered devices at stores that jack the costs for me so they can stay fat and lazy. If you are truly broken then stay home and rest, when you are healed get up off your arse and fix your eating disorders/obesity.

One last thing this guy didn't die because he was cut from the chair, he died cause his body said screw you dude I'm done.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've always called the electric carts in stores obesity carts. What's even more irritating is when an obese person in one of these carts asks you to grab something off of the shelf so they don't have to even stand up to get it.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I feel your pain CSAWS. We get called all the time for large people who just need a ride to the hospital or cant get up off the floor. In my short 6 year career as a firfighter, I have suffered many back injuries due too lifting obease people off the floor and on to a cot. I have personally had to take a chainsaw to the side of a house and a trailer to get them out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo

Perhaps...if the object of such criticism can be intellectually honest enough with themselves, they may realize that the "need to be fulfilled" by such derision is the critic's sincere desire for the obese individual to change their eating and exercise habits (or lack thereof), because the excess weight they are carrying around IS GOING TO KILL THEM!!! ...which would be a pointless and entirely preventable death.

The level of emotion and disgust that drives such responses is the FACT that no one can maintain 900lbs of fat on their body without packing in mass quantities of unneeded food. And even if the person in question has a freak metabolism that manages to convert even a 1,000 calorie a day diet into fat, when the person in question allows themselves to live in, and stay covered in their own feces because they are too lazy to ASK FOR MEDICAL HELP, they become worthy of contempt. This individual did not live alone, and presumably had phone service since an ambulance was able to be summoned. It is hard to have sympathy for those that won't take even the most basic steps (like a minimum level of personal hygiene, eating less, and doing basic exercise) to help themselves...

Well....when I see pics of people proudly eating a greasy 1lb hamburger called the "Big Ugly" and other such "healthy" food, it tends to clue me in to the fact that their poor/excessive eating habits that may have contributed to their physical condition. :dunno:
    While my understanding may be incomplete on the issue, I DO understand that if I am 100+ pounds overweight, it is probably not a good idea to stuff even more fat and grease into my body, because eventually IT IS GOING TO KILL ME!!!

SDC10821.jpg

Well, it wouldn't be a party without a proudly prancing purple pachyderm purposely poking prodigious portions into his gullet, would it?

I've heard of this Bub's and their one-pound burger, but I've not yet been there to challenge the challenge.

I have consumed a similar one-pound burger at Beef O'Brady's in Terre Haute.

Just sayin...because my grandparents could have lived much longer had they not let themselves become overweight, and I don't want anyone else to make an unnecessarily early trip to the cemetary as the guest of honor...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just sayin...because my grandparents could have lived much longer had they not let themselves become overweight, and I don't want anyone else to make an unnecessarily early trip to the cemetary as the guest of honor...

"Just sayin'?"

Nice job trying to make this about me and then trying to justify it by saying it's about your own grandparents. The irony of your use of "intellectually honest" is also noted.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

When I was 28 years old, I quit smoking after 10 plus years.

I immediately began gaining weight. I was very active, and couldn't understand it.

It seems that I crashed out my metabolism by going from two packs a day to zero in 12 hours flat.

I am a fan of salads. I really love them. Some may say it's an unnatural love. Additionally, I was raised on health foods and still eat them.

At this point, I can run full tilt through the woods, sprinting 100 yards to my target and back. This involves jumping over fallen timber, dodging trees, and jumping a creek. My dog sometimes has trouble keeping up with me. I sprint the 100 yards back, as well - and my cardiovascular system must be in great shape, because by the time I'm back prone, I'm breathing normally again.

My resting pulse is 60 to 72, and my b/p is 117/68 (highest I've seen it; usually more like 115/58).

I can leg press at least half a ton, and bench 300.

Still, I have this belly on me.

When I turned 31, my metabolism started coming back online, and I was able to get down to 260. Then I stalled out.

I'm still working on it, but I feel best at 210. Any less and I look anorexic.

The point to all this is simply that there are people out there who are sedentary and overweight; then there are those who are active and overweight.

I've not found a solution to my problem beyond lots of salads and exercise. Those are working sloooowly.

I am not going to jump to the conclusion that this man was obese by his own choosing. Hell, undiagnosed hypothyroidism could have caused that. It could have also caused depression and/or anxiety, and if misdiagnosed, the Rx could have further exacerbated the situation by slowing metabolism more.

The man needed a full blood workup, urinalysis, and a number of other tests.

That was the mistake - morbidly obesity will lead to death. Even if you have to go into debt to be tested for these things, hell, go into debt!

Josh <><

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    The immediate cause of this man's death was a heart attack. The heart attack was an obvious result of his obesity. What's not clear is why he was so obese. As others have pointed out, there are several possible reasons. He could have just overeaten. He may have had emotional issues that led to overeating and lack of exercise. He might have had glandular issues...and on and on. The main problem is that he failed to get the help he needed and those around him (especially his wife) failed him as well. It just amazes me that no one saw that this man was in crisis months or even years ago.

Weight gain can certainly sneak up on you. I've struggled with my weight all my life. Most of the time I was in the military I had to take the "tape test" to make sure that I was within the allowed fat percentage. Once I got out and stopped running (I really hate running) I began putting on weight until I reached 284 pounds at the beginning of this year.

My wife helped turn me around. She started a program at Target Metabolism and lost over 70 lbs. The key to the program is simple. They measure your metabolism and then establish a target number of calories for you to reach. Eat too many calories and of course you gain weight -- but eat too few (as many crash diets have you do) and your body decides it is starving and will actually burn muscle before it burns fat. Stay around the target and all you lose is fat. Inspired by my wife's success, I have been on the program since January and have lost 55 lbs of fat. The plan is slower than a lot of fad diets but the results are much better for the long term.

The thing that gets me is that I knew I was getting too heavy but didn't realize how bad it had gotten until I looked at some pictures of myself. Like Josh, I was very active but was steadily gaining weight. My wife set a wonderful example for me and I'm very thankful I followed it.

For me it wasn't a matter of some deep-rooted psychological or glandular issue. Food just tastes good and exercise is hard. :) The man who died definitely had some other problems though and it is sickening that no one, including himself, did anything to solve them.

Top Bottom