• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I found one of these the other day and it felt super good. It shouldered nicely and the action was very crisp. I was really tented to get it but the price was 500. I was wondering if this was a fair price or not. It was by in no means perfect condition but it wasn't beat to hell neither. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sounds kind of steep.

Is it a Police Magnum?

If it's not all tricked out with slick HD accessories and/or has 3-4 barrels with it, $500 is about $150-200 too high for a standard "Field" 870 magnum...

-J-

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you spend some time looking, a used Wingmaster that will eject 3" magnum shells should be available in the $375 to $425 range. I picked up a great deal from an INGO member on a gun made in the mid-1980's. Condition was superb and included a number of screw-in chokes. Look around. There are a lot of 870's out there and they are always for sale. I've never found a smoother pump gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've seen clean 870 Wingmaster Magnums fetch around $500.
    They were last pressed checkering pattern RKW finish models in VVG to Exc shape, and had VR Remchoke bbls.

All 870 Express 12 gauges are Magnum receiver, even if not stamped "Magnum" (will have an M in serial number, talking reg guns, not Supermags).

Older guns have a tall thin "Magnum" lettering, newer guns have thicker block type down lower.
    My cuz got his Magnum with tall lettering around 1980, but I dunno if it was NOS.

I bought a few Magnums from Lengel's in the late 80s and they all had the lower thicker block lettering.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This an older version, but I think my cousin's varies from this (maybe not).

(can't find a date yet when the lettering changed- still hunting).

Remington870Wingmaster3_zps1b9de9c6.jpg

Last edited:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you spend some time looking, a used Wingmaster that will eject 3" magnum shells should be available in the $375 to $425 range. I picked up a great deal from an INGO member on a gun made in the mid-1980's. Condition was superb and included a number of screw-in chokes. Look around. There are a lot of 870's out there and they are always for sale. I've never found a smoother pump gun.
    I've had a number of 870's but smoothest.................try a Remington model 31 some time.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Wingmaster Magnum's are pretty salty, and I probably have close to that in mine. If the price is too high, you could always buy a cheaper 2-3/4 Wingmaster and have it converted to shoot magnum loads. Last I checked, Wilson Combat charged around $45 to do it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't see these much...........pre Express low buck 870. The Sportsmans (even the auto) did not have a sight groove/trough. They didn't even have a flat machined (like an Express). Some folks preferred these for building receiver scoped deer rigs as it gave a couple more threads.

158383_02_remington_sportsman_12_pump_ma_640.jpg

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I bought one in 1985 for $450 that was in very good condition. If the one your looking at is in good condition, $500 might be a fair price for 2013. See if you can talk him down a little, but if he won't budge and it's in good condition, I wouldn't feel bad about the deal at $500.

I put a Hastings heavy rifled barrel on mine and it's my most used tree stand gun during deer firearms seasons.

netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Don't rush too quick because u want one. I found one for my stepson last year that was from the mid 70s damn near mint with a modified and slug barrel for 370. I'm looking right now for a police model for the simple fact that they came with a HD carrier and ejector. They are salty simply because there weren't as many produced as the regular mags.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I paid dang near Express price for my Police Mag. It was a minty 80's block lettering walnut stocked rig with buttplate.
    It however had a 2 3/4" bbl on it.
    Would have kept it if 3" (or I could find a 3" Remchoke rifle sighted bbl at the time).
    Blue job was one of the better ones I've seen too.
    Barrel to receiver fit was rather sloppy, had to run two layers of masking tape to tighten it up (as I was going to use it for deer hunting- just for kicks).
    It shot OK, nothing great, pretty much a 75 yard rig.
    Of course the 8 pointer I blasted with it was only 25 yards away.

Top Bottom