• ...and so much more!
  • jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    picture.php

This is my main barrel for my 870.
    The factory sights have been true for years, but I'm currently looking for alternatives. I've heard ghost ring rear sights are great but they have to be mounted close to your eye. I'm looking to plug n chug so to speak with little or no 'smithing. Something maybe I can see in low light, and metal not cheap plastic pos's I've seen at Rural King for 15$. Anyone have any suggestions that wont break the bank?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Remove the rear sight. Rely on cheek weld and the front sight. Your eye is the rear sight.

I have several 870 shotguns including one with ghost ring MMC sights. I have tried all the "hot" shotgun sights over the last 25 years or so.

Nothing beats a front bead or at the most, a front blade. Nothing is needed at the rear. For a maximum 25 yard weapon with buckshot and 100 yards with slugs, nothing else is needed besides a front sight.

I have a 870 with the same barrel and sights you have. I removed the rear sight because it slows me down trying to align things. It is a shotgun, not a rifle.

I have wasted my money on useless sights for shotguns. Spending that money on the girl on the chrome pole would have been more satisfying.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yes I am. You are too. Try it on paper. Get a good cheekweld and put your front sight of your shotgun where you want a hit on a realistic target at 100 yards with a slug. It is not hard to do.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Remove the rear sight. Rely on cheek weld and the front sight. Your eye is the rear sight.
    This and look at XS sights in general. You can keep yoru rear sight and just upgrade the front (or both)

Ghost rings slow you down and serve no real purpose unless you think you need precision slug hits and can't do it on your own. I would NEVER put any rear sight on my receiver. It stays on the barrel or not all. Once you put sights on your receiver you are commited to always shooting with it. A shooter will spend more and more money to get what he does not have, skills.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    This and look at XS sights in general. You can keep yoru rear sight and just upgrade the front (or both)

Ghost rings slow you down and serve no real purpose unless you think you need precision slug hits and can't do it on your own. I would NEVER put any rear sight on my receiver. It stays on the barrel or not all. Once you put sights on your receiver you are commited to always shooting with it. A shooter will spend more and more money to get what he does not have, skills.

XS Sight Systems - Sights
    The original stay on the barrel night sights I think are the best choice for me. I dont think I wanna mount something on my receiver. The tritium sights seem really cool/functional. Do you think a front sight replacement would be worth it, or should I just bite the bullet and shell out the $130+ for the set. To me that's alot of money and I am one hell of a shot with the ones i have just thought in low light situations they would funtion better than factory iron sights with paint dots.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Take a Dremel or file to you factory rear to make it a shallow "V" like the XS set. Paint rear and front in preferred "pattern" with REALLY white paint and let dry. Paint over white with GOOD glow-in-the-dark fishing lure paint. $10.

Top Bottom