• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Whats the difference between these two Remmy's ??? and what parts can be used on either model... ala bbls, etc ???

Wondering... as there are a couple deals around on the Express...

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Its my understanding there are 3 models of 870 currently offered.
    870 express is a matte finish like a semi gloss.
    870 police are parkerized so that is a flat finish.
    870 wingmaster is a blued finish.

That does not take into account camo or marine models. The marine I have looks to be a silver express finish, its a rough semi gloss silver.

again someone correct me if im wrong but, You can put any barrel from any model 870 on a different finished reciever.
    I have an 870 police barrel on my express reciever. its doesnt even look bad with a parkerized barrel and the rest express.

I have an 18" police barrel with Trijicon rifle sights on my express for HD duty.

I do know some parts are now plastic on 870 express guns. I believe at least a year or two ago the police guns still had metal parts like my older express. I dont see many wingmasters that arent 15 years old much so i dont know about there parts.

PM me and ill send you a pic of my HD gun so you can see the parkerized and express finish on the same gun.

GL, if it isnt a sweet deal, Id check the pawn shops for an 870 myself and buy an older one with metal bits. just my opinion on that though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    express is a kind of 870. there are many variations like the express and wingmaster. the express has 2 variations that i know of being express standard and express magnum. the magnum will accept a longer shell is the only difference.

the main differnce between the wingmaster and express is wingmasters are older and dont have the "no gloss finish" i believe most if not all wingmasters only accept a 2 3/4 shell.

as far as shooting there should be no diffrence what so ever. if you are wanting a gun to take to the woods get a express. if you are wanting a collectors piece get a wingmaster. im not even going to try and list all the variations of the wingmaster but just a guess there are 20-30 diffrent kinds of 870 wingmaster (i could be way off on my guess)

hope this helps

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    again someone correct me if im wrong but, You can put any barrel from any model 870 on a different finished reciever.quote]

actually in the late 70s the 20ga 870 was on a 12ga frame. this was only done for a very few years. the barrel is diffrent, it kind of necks down and isn't interchangable with any others. i believe all the rest are though. the only reason i know this is i bought a 870 with my bailing hay money when i was 11 and it was this necked down model i was talking about. it had a slug barrel on it and 10 yr or so down the line i decided to buy a 28 inch ventelated rib barrel only to find out the chances of finding that barrel are about as good as leaving the 1500 tomorow with a 400 dollar ar-15. i still look at every show and online and never found one.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    My main question was bbl's swapping, as I see some stores have some 870 bbl's listed as express, special, 870, and then magnum... I believe the magnum is for the 3 and a half inch newer magnum 870 shotty's... but I wasn't sure what the differences were between the express and the normal 870... Like to be able to set it up as a tactical HD or 3 gun type shotty, and still be able to put a turkey, or slug, or 28 inch VR bbl on it to use it accordingly...

Thankyou for the reply's...

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have the 870 Express and it is a great all around shotgun. I have three different barrels. 3" magnum for deer hunting and a long barrel for birds and a short unrifled one purchased later to shoot slugs in. I think that you can purchase any 870 barrel and use it with confidence on your Remington.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    All is basically true but here is what to keep in mind.

1. Express is a finish and stock type wingmaster is the same type of thing just different finish and stock. Wingmasters are still made.

2. There are three types of barrels when it comes to fit. Mainly they are all the same and interchangeable but watch out there was a 12ga wingmaster that was made that had what is called a light contour barrel and only light contour barrels go with light contour guns. Also the original 870's it is my understanding had a different size ring that slides over the magazine tube and so the old barrels go on old guns and new barrels go on new guns I do not know when the switch was made just no there was one.

But mainly yes they are interchangeable.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    My new Model 870 SPS ShurShot Synthetic Turkey super mag won't take any other barrels than one for a super magnum. But "most" of the others either express or wingmaster is interchangable...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom