• ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sand is probably our biggest export. :):

MjAyNDA1YTA0MDZiOWM5ZGQ5MTg4YjI0ZWQ0YmE5ODVjZWVlNmU
    Flint pebbles from Normandy are used extensively in grinding and chemical processing here in the US. I remembered them being shipped in heavy cardboard small drums in various sizes to load into different mills.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That castle on the tidal flats looks like it's been there for a long time.
    It's a fortified medieval city island (13 centuries old) with a church on top, not a castle.
    It's surrounded by sand, or the sea, depending on the time of the day.
    Less than 30 people live there. It's the most visited place in France outside Paris with over 3 million visitors each year.

mont-saint-michel.jpg

The streets are fully pedestrians.

%C2%A9audic2417-47-960x1200.jpg

1st-prize_fabrice-balsamo_france.jpg

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    1000w_q95.jpg

Lots of foreign (to me) troops in the region around that time.
    I bet Normandy is the only place where US soldiers feel safer than at home, while being unarmed and in uniform in public.

Everybody want their pictures taken with us.

240601-A-FU327-1114.JPG
    The top picture is the memorial to Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division (Band of Brothers) near Brécourt Manor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a fortified medieval city island (13 centuries old) with a church on top, not a castle.
    It's surrounded by sand, or the sea, depending on the time of the day.
    Less than 30 people live there. It's the most visited place in France outside Paris with over 3 million visitors each year.

mont-saint-michel.jpg

The streets are fully pedestrians.

%C2%A9audic2417-47-960x1200.jpg

1st-prize_fabrice-balsamo_france.jpg
    Looks like an interesting place to visit. So much history in Normandy stretching back millennia. It's like a crossroads of western Europe.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just curious, do any German soldiers show up to these events to honor their dead? I certainly don't mean to offend or dishonor anyone, just genuinely curious since I will probably never make it over there.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Looks like an interesting place to visit. So much history in Normandy stretching back millennia. It's like a crossroads of western Europe.
    If you ever have the chance, go!

We were there last year during D-Day week. Truly an emotional, heart-wrenching, place of both pride and sadness for any patriotic American. The French people in Normandy we're truly wonderful, thankful for their liberation all those years ago and to this day demonstrate a friendliness toward Americans that I did not feel in other places within France.

There was certainly something in the air in Normandy. It got Dusty quite a few times while we were there.

The degree to which history is palpable in Normandy is indescribable. Walking amongst the ruins of German emplacements, walking the beaches which our forces assaulted naked and without cover from those firing on them from the bluffs, you feel the weight of the debt we owe those who saved the world from evil and tyranny.

1000001308.jpg1000001360.jpg1000001363.jpg

I stood at Pont-du-hoc in awe of what young men had done 79 years before. I listened as a group of young Rangers there for the ceremonies talked among themselves, incredulous at what their forefathers had done.

I found it fitting that France ceded Pont-du-hoc to the US some years ago, in the same way our cemeteries are US property.

Top Bottom