• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it will be a simple easy fix.

It's a neat feeling to pull the trigger on something you have made. You are going to love it when it comes back.

I really hope they treat me right. I really appreciate your offer for help. That shop of yours sounds like my kind of place.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I really hope they treat me right. I really appreciate your offer for help. That shop of yours sounds like my kind of place.

I have had a lot of fun. I've build a few using the mill and lathe. I'm no pro but I can stay out of trouble and things usually work when I am done. LOL

They will get it figured out. Let us know what they find. Thanks for sharing your build. Hopefully you will inspire a few more builders to get building!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Great thread OP! Hope it all works out for you, I'd like to see a picture when you have a complete rifle!

Ty240

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    So Cal
    One of the most detailed write ups I've seen online. Thanks op! About to purchase the same jig and lower soon.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Great write up! I think one of these is going to happen. As I don't have a router, I'd have to go with the drill press only jig. When I did 2 polymer lowers I had to disassemble my drill press and remove some parts (hand crank mechanism for moving the table up and down) and I was able to get a LITTLE more room to work under the chuck. Worth looking at if you do another one.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    1911ly, I took your advice. They inspected the lower/jig plates and mailed back the lower (they forgot the jig plates, they should be here tomorrow). The rep said nothing is wrong with either. When I got the lower back I looked straight down on the safety selector and it was obviously canted. The left side (lever side) was behind the right side. I did like you said and carefully dremeled the right side hole on the front edge. After a few test fittings and more light dremeling, I was able to get the safety to rest in the up position, almost at the stop on the lower. I'd say the right side was about 5 hundredths behind the left if you're looking straight down on it. I still am not convinced that one side of the jig isn't a little off from the other, when it comes to the safety hole. The bit fits tightly in the guide hole, so I'm not sure the drill press could even create a difference that large if it was tilted.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm happy with where it rests now. Good suggestion. I'll try to update the OP with some pics of the complete rifle later on.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome. There is some wiggle room in there to move the pocket a smidgen without messing anything up. You should be good to go! if you find the FCG pins walk you can by anti walk pins. I'll bet you will be fine. Let us know how she shoots! Congrats on the build. It feels great to pull the trigger on something you've built yourself. Enjoy is for years to come!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I know. I'm weird. I just want a tight fit. Pushing the upper and lower away from each other seems backwards to me. This fit probably wouldn't bother most folks. It is a little worse than I'm used to seeing though. I have a Larue rifle that has to be pried apart. I like that.:D

My psa lower and Core upper is a snug fit, two halves having any play would annoy me to death

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    My psa lower and Core upper is a snug fit, two halves having any play would annoy me to death

I'm with you brother.

Oh yeah, I did receive the jig plates today. I'm not sure what happened, they mailed me new ones. He did tell me there was nothing wrong with mine. Maybe they lost them when they forgot to send them back, last week. Not sure.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    I wonder if the 80% lower you got was a lemon of the bunch or are they all machined loose

Maybe they want to make sure it fits if someone cerakote's or KG gun kote's it. I did coat a couple tactical machining 80% lowers and they fit very tight now. I have no plans of coating this one. That's why I chose anodized.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A little (wiggle) play is harmless and it won't affect accuracy. Seriously. If it is flopping around a lot that is another thing.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Maybe they want to make sure it fits if someone cerakote's or KG gun kote's it. I did coat a couple tactical machining 80% lowers and they fit very tight now. I have no plans of coating this one. That's why I chose anodized.

That make sense...any special router that needed to be used? How long from start to finish would I expect to spend to complete one?

Top Bottom