8.6 Boombox Build - It's not a Q, it's a Whitetail.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you're not on Demolition Ranch or Garand Thumb, the semi-auto 8.6BLK build has been out of reach and unobtainable. The Boombox was announced two years ago from Q Engineering and we're still getting crickets from the mighty K.B. Meanwhile, the 8.6BLK has been picked up by some big-name custom manufacturers, and with Starline's offering of factory brass, the field has been blown open. Here's the beast Whitetail Trading Co has been working on.

Approached by a friend that was already chest deep in the 8.6BLK game, we spent a bit of time conversing about AR-10 manufacturers who could keep the quality and craftsmanship of a small company intact while offering the reliability of the major manufacturers. The Mega Arms MATEN, a matched billet set (full disclosure, an industry favorite of mine) was chosen to be the host build. Where to go from there?

After meeting the crew of Faxon at SHOT this past year, a Duty Series 8" Big Gunner barrel was chosen to go with the Faxon .875 gas block and Faxon tube. Faxon is my go-to for 8.6BLK anything at this point. An LMT AR-10 Enhanced BCG was added, along with an SLR Rifleworks handguard. Geissele Super Semi Auto Trigger group and Strike Industries Enhanced LPK was next. Magpul K2+ grip for the comfort, and standard AR-10 buffer kit as well. Dump in a Radian Raptor LT to boot. Q Short Chop to finish the rifle, and top it off with a Vortex AMG UH-1 and it's a finished kit.

Without sighting, my first shot on 145yd steel was an impact. Hit. Hit. Hit. This rifle swings steel with absolute authority. I was shooting 300gn subsonic Whitetail Trading Co ammo, but our 210gn solid copper hunting rounds would be far more devastating. This rifle has been nicknamed "The Super Beast" by the few people that have seen and held it. It is honestly something to behold.

Enjoy the pics below, and if you're looking for a custom rifle without having to wait for Q, drop me a PM and I'll get you going for hunting season. And special thanks to the owner of this rifle for allowing me to build, shoot, photo and film the project.

For those asking, the tab in front of the optic is my brass catcher attachment. I wasn’t losing this brass in the grass.

Enjoy.

-Asz

Last edited:

Scott223

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you're not on Demolition Ranch or Garand Thumb, the semi-auto 8.6BLK build has been out of reach and unobtainable. The Boombox was announced two years ago from Q Engineering and we're still getting crickets from the mighty K.B. Meanwhile, the 8.6BLK has been picked up by some big-name custom manufacturers, and with Starline's offering of factory brass, the field has been blown open. Here's the beast Whitetail Trading Co has been working on.

Approached by a friend that was already chest deep in the 8.6BLK game, we spent a bit of time conversing about AR-10 manufacturers who could keep the quality and craftsmanship of a small company intact while offering the reliability of the major manufacturers. The Mega Arms MATEN, a matched billet set (full disclosure, an industry favorite of mine) was chosen to be the host build. Where to go from there?

After meeting the crew of Faxon at SHOT this past year, a Duty Series 8" Big Gunner barrel was chosen to go with the Faxon .875 gas block and Faxon tube. Faxon is my go-to for 8.6BLK anything at this point. An LMT AR-10 Enhanced BCG was added, along with an SLR Rifleworks handguard. Geissele Super Semi Auto Trigger group and Strike Industries Enhanced LPK was next. Magpul K2+ grip for the comfort, and standard AR-10 buffer kit as well. Q Short Chop to finish the rifle, and top it off with a Vortex AMG UH-1 and it's a finished rifle.

Without sighting, my first shot on 145yd steel was an impact. Hit. Hit. Hit. This rifle swings steel with absolute authority. I was shooting 300gn subsonic Whitetail Trading Co ammo, but our 210gn solid copper hunting rounds would be far more devastating. This rifle has been nicknamed "The Super Beast" by the few people that seen and held it. It is honestly something to behold.

Enjoy the pics and videos below, and if you're looking for a custom rifle without having to wait for Q, drop me a PM and I'll get you going for hunting season. And special thanks to the owner of this rifle for allowing me to build, shoot, photo and film the project.

For those asking, the tab in front of the optic is my brass catcher attachment. I wasn’t losing this brass in the grass.

Enjoy.

-Asz

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis

After meeting the crew of Faxon at SHOT this past year, a Duty Series 8" Big Gunner barrel was chosen to go with the Faxon .875 gas block and Faxon tube. Faxon is my go-to for 8.6BLK anything at this point. An LMT AR-10 Enhanced BCG was added, along with an SLR Rifleworks handguard. Geissele Super Semi Auto Trigger group and Strike Industries Enhanced LPK was next. Magpul K2+ grip for the comfort, and standard AR-10 buffer kit as well. Dump in a Radian Raptor LT to boot. Q Short Chop to finish the rifle, and top it off with a Vortex AMG UH-1 and it's a finished kit.

Without sighting, my first shot on 145yd steel was an impact. Hit. Hit. Hit. This rifle swings steel with absolute authority. I was shooting 300gn subsonic Whitetail Trading Co ammo, but our 210gn solid copper hunting rounds would be far more devastating. This rifle has been nicknamed "The Super Beast" by the few people that have seen and held it. It is honestly something to behold.

Enjoy the pics below, and if you're looking for a custom rifle without having to wait for Q, drop me a PM and I'll get you going for hunting season. And special thanks to the owner of this rifle for allowing me to build, shoot, photo and film the project.

Enjoy.

-Asz

On the Q mat even… shots fired!

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    That’s a nice looking gun!

Still amazing to me that this round can be subsonic, as quiet as subsonic .300BLK and still have the power of full spec 10mm. And that’s before you take into account whatever additional rotational energy it has!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    8.6 has really grabbed my attention. Waiting on NFA approval for my 12” fix, and my free Porq Chop hasn’t even shipped to the dealer yet.

I really think that caliber in something like the Boombox could be a game changer, especially in specialized units and applications.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville

Enjoy.

-Asz

Nice! Do you know what the I.D at the end of the handguard is? I looked on their site but couldn't find a measurement.

Top Bottom