• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I drive a lot, i see people actually reading books. They have the book resting on the middle of the steering wheel with their thumbs holding the book open. They are either going extremely slow, or swerving. Is a law necessary? or is the problem with people not taking responsibility? Thats easy. Then someone could argue that having small children in the back seat is extremely dangerous because they can distract you...screaming, throwing stuff, crying uncontrollably, etc. So should they ban kids in cars? Its all feel good garbage. Imagine being a politician. You literally dont have to do anything good for anyone, just make it seem like you are and you get a cushy job paid for by others.

I don't really get all these "distracted", or even "impaired" laws. It is already illegal to cause property damage (with a vehicle or not). It is already illegal to cause injury or death. There are already all kinds of other rules/laws governing how we can use the roads (stay in lane, don't speed, etc...). These "don't do {insert thing} while driving" laws seem punitive at best. It isn't like LE can tell you are {doing the bad thing} until you are already breaking another law. Why bother?

BTW: I am all for awareness and public shaming. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Good Grief.

^^^All of this, but especially the highlighted part^^^

We need fewer laws, not more.

How about bees? I've been a passenger where the driver went ape**** over a damn bee in the car. Luckily it flew back out the window before we wrecked. Might as well make a law against being afraid of bees.

Failing to stay in one's own lane, driving recklessly, driving outside the speed law--either speeding or driving too slow which at least in practice is considered RAS of impairment, causing damage to property, and causing damage to people are all already prohibited regardless of whether you are texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, reading a map, reading a book, fiddling with the radio, fiddling with the GPS, working a crossword puzzle, working a jigsaw puzzle, talking to passengers, dealing with unruly children, getting fellated (unfortunately, I have seen this happen on the highway), or jerking on johnson. It really doesn't matter. As mentioned above, before any specific activity becomes an issue, you are already doing something which is prohibited making it completely unnecessary to make something already illegal more illegal. It really does smack of a quest for more revenue and more control.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Someone please explain to me why, given the officer has the discretion to write a ticket for wreckless driving for just about anything he/she believes is hazardous, do we need any more laws attempting to govern behavior behind the wheel?

Top Bottom