• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I have been to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial in Japan and it is a sobering experience. I know the U.S. used the atomic bombs to bring a swift end to the war and save the lives of US troops, but IMO it should not be celebrated, after all hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians were murdered in the process.

So have I... I wish everyone who thinks the bombings were a "good" thing could see the artifacts they have there, especially the ones showing the effects the radiation sickness and cancers had on the civilian population that was targeted by the bombings, such as the formaldahyde-preserved cancerous tongue, the entire-headful of hair that fell out in one massive clump, the wooden sandal with the atomic 'shadow' of the young foot that was wearing it burned into it...and think of their own loved ones and then tell me how inflicting this kind of horror on another human being is something to be celebrated...

My :twocents: ...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    When the same revulsion is voiced by the hate America firsters or the Japanese people themselves over Bataan, Laha, Parit Sulong, Palawan, Nanking, Banka Island, and the 20 million civilians murdered in China, Philippines, and other conquered areas (celebrated, close-up, gleeful, retail murder) then I'll consider shedding a tear for the Japanese that were bombed.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    When the same revulsion is voiced by the hate America firsters or the Japanese people themselves over Bataan, Laha, Parit Sulong, Palawan, Nanking, Banka Island, and the 20 million civilians murdered in China, Philippines, and other conquered areas (celebrated, close-up, gleeful, retail murder) then I'll consider shedding a tear for the Japanese that were bombed.
    X -2.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It was a bad thing, but I'm convinced it was necessary. I hope it never is again. We didn't really understand all the implications like we do now.

I saw Bock's Car at Dayton. There was a sign that said "do not touch", but the cordon came close enough and I had to. Sorry, if the B29 disintegrates, it's all my fault.

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012

x+20

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

CarmelHP makes a very good point. I was deployed to Hickam Air Base, HI, during the initial air bridge, after 9/11. Had one day off, to go to Pearl Harbor and visit the Arizona Memorial. Read the names and watched the oil seep up, from the eternal resting place of those brave sailors and marines. I gained a profound insight, as to why WWII veterans express deep hatred, for the Imperial Japanese war machine.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

That doesn't make it any less of a horrible thing.

The atomic bombings brought about a quick end to a dark period in our world's history, but the event themselves are a tragedy. They should not be celebrated, they should not be viewed as a great American achievement. They were a huge loss of life, which is bad enough without even considering they were a huge loss of civilian life. There was no honor in what our country did, even if it was absolutely necessary.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    The only reason we dropped those bombs was because we had them first.
    After reading about the way the Japanese treated POWs and civilian prisoners I have no doubt they would have used nukes or biologics or anything else available.
    During the weeks of the nukes the Japanese tested a jet that would have become
    an unstoppable kamikase (based on german design)
    Two weeks after the german surrender, a u-boat captain surrendered the makings of a dirty nuke to allies, on it's way to Japan.(There was a plan to deliver it to San Francisco harbor by sub.)
    Three months after the Japanese surrender the pacific fleet was scattered by a
    real kamikaze wind. I have to believe the japanese people would have taken that as
    a sign from heaven . It would have steeled their resolve before an invasion could have
    been organized.
    The fire bombing was just as bad, people caught fire in the street, leaving piles of
    ashes.
    The nukes we dropped on Japan were terrible. War is terrible, always was, always
    will be. This act did not make us terrible people, and it was no more immoral than
    murder of nearly 30 million chinese civilians by the japanese army.
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed tens of thousands, but saved million. More of them
    than us. Also it ended the war before Russia could invade Japan.
    If you have any doubt how Russia would have treated Japan go look up how they treated Germany (and it's POWs) after the war.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    That doesn't make it any less of a horrible thing.

The atomic bombings brought about a quick end to a dark period in our world's history, but the event themselves are a tragedy. They should not be celebrated, they should not be viewed as a great American achievement. They were a huge loss of life, which is bad enough without even considering they were a huge loss of civilian life. There was no honor in what our country did, even if it was absolutely necessary.

Almost every single event in wartime is a tragedy, but I'm damned sure not going to apologize for the events that the Japanese themselves put into motion. The Japanese were experts in bringing about the loss of civilian life in the most brutal, cruel and degrading ways imaginable.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Almost every single event in wartime is a tragedy, but I'm damned sure not going to apologize for the events that the Japanese themselves put into motion. The Japanese were experts in bringing about the loss of civilian life in the most brutal, cruel and degrading ways imaginable.

Just short of hitler and Stalin though...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I was young and Liberal I was having a conversation with my WW2 veteran Grandfather and I (stupidly) said, "I think dropping those bombs on Japan was horrendous. They were civilians and it was just out of line."

He got very quiet and then raised his head to look at me with a smile on his face and said, "You like books and reading don't you son?" I said "You know I do Papaw." He then said, and I will never forget it, "Well one day you will read enough books to know exactly why we dropped those bombs on them Bastards."

I read later where the casuality estimate for an invasion of Japan itself was anywhere from 500,000 to a million people.

Thanks Papaw. I got it now.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    After dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima, for three days, the Imperial Japanese government debated whether to surrender or commit the entire population to driving off the imminent Allied invasion. Then, 67 years ago today, Bocks-car dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki. The emperor ended the debate and ordered the military to stand down and accept their fate. At that time, the US only had one more nuclear weapon available for immediate use.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    After dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima, for three days, the Imperial Japanese government debated whether to surrender or commit the entire population to driving off the imminent Allied invasion. Then, 67 years ago today, Bocks-car dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki. The emperor ended the debate and ordered the military to stand down and accept their fate. At that time, the US only had one more nuclear weapon available for immediate use.
    I've always found the entire journey of the atomic bomb to be a fascinating history lesson. For persons interested, every aspect of the development, and decision to use the weapon, just leads to more and more reading on the subject, and more and more fascinating details revealed. Yes, the loss of life was horrible, but, as has already been stated in this thread, that pales in comparison to the lives saved by the use of the weapon. I think it was one of Americas finest moments.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I've always found the entire journey of the atomic bomb to be a fascinating history lesson. For persons interested, every aspect of the development, and decision to use the weapon, just leads to more and more reading on the subject, and more and more fascinating details revealed. Yes, the loss of life was horrible, but, as has already been stated in this thread, that pales in comparison to the lives saved by the use of the weapon. I think it was one of Americas finest moments.

Yea, it ranks right up their with the trail of tears and slavery. :rolleyes:

It is important to appreciate, respect, and learn from our nations history. Indeed, the use of the atomic bombs against Japan may have been the lesser of two evils, but it was still evil. It is in no way one of America's finest moments. In fact, I happen to think it was one of our nations darkest moments.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yea, it ranks right up their with the trail of tears and slavery. :rolleyes:

It is important to appreciate, respect, and learn from our nations history. Indeed, the use of the atomic bombs against Japan may have been the lesser of two evils, but it was still evil. It is in no way one of America's finest moments. In fact, I happen to think it was one of our nations darkest moments.
    You have every right to your opinion........partially because the atomic bomb was used by the United States of America.:yesway:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

I'd rep you but I'm out... :yesway:

Top Bottom