• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    My message: Representative Carson,

While I was very happy to see that some of the members of The Congress stood up to defend the rights protected by The Constitution that they swore to uphold I was saddened to see you did not sign the letter sent to the attorney general. http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/AWBLettertoHolder309.pdf When you raised your right hand and took that oath you swore to defend and uphold The Constitution in it's entirety, not just the parts you agree with. I should hope that in the future you will act according to the oath you took.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Actually we shouldn't be overly surprised. The left wing of the Democratic party may be surprised and angered though. After the Democrats lost their majority in the House, lost the Senate, lost the Presidency, Rahm Immanuel and others decided they needed to find and run conservative (relatively speaking) Democrats to run in the red states. They knew this was their only option if they were to regain their majorities. This is a logical consequence to that strategy, they now have a group of Congressmen that aren't at heart anti gunners. Some of them are actually progun and ran as such. Now in a way the Dems have to pay the price of that strategy, if you are going to lay down with bitter gun clingers, you're going to get... well what you got now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are currently 257 Democrats and 178 Republicans. Making the assumption that all Republicans will vote to oppose any gun control which isn't a given. if you take the 65 Democrats and subtract them from the Democrat side of the House and add them to the Republican side for the gun issue only that changes the balance to
    192 Anti-Gun

243 Pro-Gun​
    Effectively nullifying the possibility of new gun control legislation.

Now the reality is that there are several anti-gun Republicans. So if 15% of the members of the GOP switch to support the AWB, that would subtract 27 pro-gun votes and add those same 27 votes to the anti-gun side.

That would yield a vote of: (assuming my math is correct):
    219 - Anti-Gun votes

216 - Pro-Gun votes​
    We can only hope that Anti-Gun members of the GOP number something less than 15% of the members. At only 10% then there is still a Pro-Gun majority, presuming, of course, that the 65 Democrats hold firm on the Pro-Gun side.

Of course these numbers are only in the HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES and I don't know about the SENATE. But in the Senate we know that we have a couple of anti-gun members of the GOP who favor a new AWB. Senators Lugar and Chafee both come to mind.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There are currently 257 Democrats and 178 Republicans. Making the assumption that all Republicans will vote to oppose any gun control which isn't a given. if you take the 65 Democrats and subtract them from the Democrat side of the House and add them to the Republican side for the gun issue only that changes the balance to
    192 Anti-Gun

243 Pro-Gun
    Effectively nullifying the possibility of new gun control legislation.

Now the reality is that there are several anti-gun Republicans. So if 15% of the members of the GOP switch to support the AWB, that would subtract 27 pro-gun votes and add those same 27 votes to the anti-gun side.

That would yield a vote of: (assuming my math is correct):
    219 - Anti-Gun votes

216 - Pro-Gun votes
    We can only hope that Anti-Gun members of the GOP number something less than 15% of the members. At only 10% then there is still a Pro-Gun majority, presuming, of course, that the 65 Democrats hold firm on the Pro-Gun side.

Of course these numbers are only in the HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES and I don't know about the SENATE. But in the Senate we know that we have a couple of anti-gun members of the GOP who favor a new AWB. Senators Lugar and Chafee both come to mind.

While I don't argue with your math, I don't think they want to take on this issue right now. I almost wish they would - with everything else that's gone on, and likely to go on soon, they might be ensuring a wholesale exchange in Congress the next election if they did take this on. It might almost be worth the sacrifice of some bad gun legislation to get these guys out of there before they ruin the country in so many other ways. I'm afraid they've already wrecked the economy in years to come, as this spending becomes a reality.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    One of my Rep's names was on it -- Ellsworth. Buyer's name wasn't on it, but I don't know if it was a Democrat only deal. I emailed him anyway to express my thoughts :).

I emailed him Friday, and got a letter from him in the mail today!?

Wow.

Nothing terribly personal it, but he did say, "Pleases be assured of my support for the Second Amendment and the right of law-abiding American citizens to keep and bear arms."

I expected a response along that line -- I was just impressed with the turn-around time of an actual letter -- I expected an email response with a 5-10 day delay..

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I emailed him Friday, and got a letter from him in the mail today!?

Wow.

Nothing terribly personal it, but he did say, "Pleases be assured of my support for the Second Amendment and the right of law-abiding American citizens to keep and bear arms."

I expected a response along that line -- I was just impressed with the turn-around time of an actual letter -- I expected an email response with a 5-10 day delay..

I emailed Ellsworth Wednesday night & received an email today in reponse. I've posted it under another thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...response_from_my_congressman_-_ellsworth.html

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    The letter concerns me once you take a look at their rating given to them, especially by the GOA. I am skeptical when it comes to politics, but I am also even more skeptical when it comes to Democrats...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thankfully, there are still a few southern and western Demos who consider the Second Amendment sacrosanct.
    It really is a pity that there are all too many northeastern and west coast Repubicans (spelling intentional;)) who do not.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Thankfully, there are still a few southern and western Demos who consider the Second Amendment sacrosanct.
    It really is a pity that there are all too many northeastern and west coast Repubicans (spelling intentional;)) who do not.

Smart man (I assume your a man, forgive me if I'm wrong).

There are gun-grabbers on both sides of the aisle.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yes. I happen to think we are safe from an AWB until the next election. Then we'll see.

I agree. I think they're terrified of having Obama chalked up as another Jimmy Carter, which seems likely given the economic situation.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Man, yes. The nickname I chose is one I have used for the last fifteen years or so. It's a Pink Floyd reference, and just about any hard core fan could let you know what the origin is.
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom