• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Just bought a ruger american predator gen 1 chambered in 6.5 grendel anyone else have any experience with that caliber/rifle. Groups were 1in at 50 yds but opened up to 2 in plus at 100 yds. Tried 2 hornady 123 gr loads on was fmj and other was sst loads. Just looking for some advice on what to expect out of the gun with factory loads or what loads is everyone else finding that works well.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    I've not started down the reloading rabbit hole maybe this winter that adventure will start. I'm just needing decent accuracy to get through this deer season then see what the gun is capable of with my shooting abilities.

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    6.5 g is a great round for Indiana deer. Chasing one hole groups is fun and all, but I think you've got acceptable accuracy for your stated purpose.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I just about didn't respond here, but, hand loads generally are produce / provide more accurate/ accuracy then anything factory loaded.
    6.5G isn't known (at least among the CMP & NRA guys I shoot with) for small groups. 2 inch at 100 yards, sounds like it's more then accurate enough to stop a deer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just bought a ruger american predator gen 1 chambered in 6.5 grendel anyone else have any experience with that caliber/rifle. Groups were 1in at 50 yds but opened up to 2 in plus at 100 yds. Tried 2 hornady 123 gr loads on was fmj and other was sst loads. Just looking for some advice on what to expect out of the gun with factory loads or what loads is everyone else finding that works well.
    In my 6.5 Grendel 20" AR with Hornady 123gr SST I was shooting moa.
    I use a rest though to try to take me out of the equation as much as possible. The ELD match shot slightly better in it.
    Some rifles shoot better with different ammunition.
    Just try several different brands, and bullet styles until you find one it likes.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Some rifles shoot better with different ammunition.
    Just try several different brands, and bullet styles until you find one it likes.
    This ^^^^

Have an ar that absolutely loves wolf 100gr steel cased ammo. Shoots moa at 100 yards. Other AR in grendel hates it but likes 123gr pills at same distance.

Sometimes you just need to buy a box of each flavor and see what it likes

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This ^^^^

Have an ar that absolutely loves wolf 100gr steel cased ammo. Shoots moa at 100 yards. Other AR in grendel hates it but likes 123gr pills at same distance.

Sometimes you just need to buy a box of each flavor and see what it likes
    My 6.5G AR hates Wolf. I've got some laying around somewhere.
    It was so bad I just put it up after breaking in the barrel. Yes I use cheap ammo for barrel break-in.
    However, if I'm not getting at least 1.5 moa I tend not to shoot it in my high power rifles. It's like a waste of time to me.

Top Bottom