• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    Ok, I had a weak moment at a gun show yesterday, and took home a Handi Rifle in 500 S&W. I am a 44 mag guy, but I had to have one of these. It was NIB and a pretty good deal. I mounted a Simmons 3-9X50 on it last night., because I had a spare sitting around. And I attached a harris bi-pod just for fun.
    Am I in for any trouble trying to scope this big cannon? I am a pretty heavy guy, and not afraid of recoil, but some articles I read say this thing is a bruiser.
    Anyone have experience with this gun/caliber?

I do like the idea of easy barrel changes. ( sort of easy)

thnaks for the input.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Take a grease pencil/marker/touch of paint and mark your scope and scope ring indexing - so you can determine if it moves.

Unsure of what the eye relief is on that scope, but I'd be a little wary of crawling up on it too much until you get used to it.

Hopefully you are a reloader, the 350g Sierra at 1850-2000 is an accurate, relatively mild load.

Several different instructions out there on the net for smoothing up the trigger and bedding/floating the forearm.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would not use such a large scope on it. I've shot alot of 500 Carbines. I occasionally get hit in the eye with about 3.7" of eye relief on an unbraked barrel if I dont hold it tight. I would at least use 3 steel rings if you're gonna use that big scope.

I've had one 500 rifle break my Nikon Prostaff 2-7x shotgun scope.

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    Thank you both. Yes, I handload, and intend to work up some lighter stuff. I will probably look for a longer eye relief scope for it.

Here's a pic.

24114_1430361277957_1200602669_1229363_7974327_s.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Poor mans BMG 50. They will smack down whitetail deer.

Most need a little trigger work. I think in a rifle the 500 S&w will shine. A little more than needed in a pistol.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got one and thought it would be a good thing. I am dissapointed in mine. The recoil is nothing at all which is good, but I probably thought it would be a long range gun and it ain't. I will just stick with a muzzleloader for deer until you can use a rifle. It would make a good close range brush gun, just not for me. JMHO

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have an Encore in both carbine and pistol version. I put a 6X fixed with 4 Warne rings to hold it (may not need 4, just started out that way) and have had no problems. I also find it quite reasonable to shoot; it does have a brake.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I had a handi-rifle in 500 S&W for a while but I could not afford to feed it. In the time I had it I killed two deer with it each at right around 100 yards. So I don't think you can go wrong with it.

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    I had a handi-rifle in 500 S&W for a while but I could not afford to feed it. In the time I had it I killed two deer with it each at right around 100 yards. So I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Rhino, I just sent you a mesage, as I found your older post to sell your 500, then I switched over to my thread, and there you are! cool.....

thanks everyone for the info. can't wait to shoot this thing. ( I think) :rockwoot:

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    I have an Encore in both carbine and pistol version. I put a 6X fixed with 4 Warne rings to hold it (may not need 4, just started out that way) and have had no problems. I also find it quite reasonable to shoot; it does have a brake.

The scope rail that was included only has 2 notches......maybe I need to get a different rail >>?? :dunno:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'd try it with 2 rings unless someone else jumps on here and tells you differently. If the scope is a problem then you can go from there.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Get the factory H&R scope mount rail. It will have alot more slots cut in it. The Weaver rails only have two.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok, I had a weak moment at a gun show yesterday, and took home a Handi Rifle in 500 S&W. I am a 44 mag guy, but I had to have one of these. It was NIB and a pretty good deal. I mounted a Simmons 3-9X50 on it last night., because I had a spare sitting around. And I attached a harris bi-pod just for fun.
    Am I in for any trouble trying to scope this big cannon? I am a pretty heavy guy, and not afraid of recoil, but some articles I read say this thing is a bruiser.
    Anyone have experience with this gun/caliber?

I do like the idea of easy barrel changes. ( sort of easy)

thnaks for the input.

Just do it and quit looking to slick paper gun experts who quote each other more than they shoot guns for advice.

If you weren't afraid of the recoil you wouldn't be having second thoughts and looking for help before you've ever even pulled the trigger on it.:rolleyes:

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    Thanks for all the help. The factory H&R scope mount that was in the box only has 2 notches.Maybe they have updated them. Gonna go for it as is, and if it's too nasty, will get it ported.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom