• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If you're going to poke me, at least buy me a drink first....

A cop friend of mine told me cops like to do it to trick people. leo says "You're free to go, but would you mind if i take a look in your car?" people hear the "you are free to go part" and figure They are already free so why not? Then when the leo finds something they are all like "ah ha i got you" and the person says "but you said I was free to go" leo replies "not now youre not" Its one big mind game.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Police will straight up tell you that traffic stops are the best way to find weapons, drugs, theft, etc.

It's all about the fishing. They'll be more than happy to quote you a percentage of stops that lead to arrests for other stuff.

That is why you are guilty until proven innocent during a traffic stop, or any stop for that matter.

Better to harass 100 men than let 1 guilty man go free.

One Texas community calculated that, on average, 37% of all arrests are the result of traffic stops.

Last edited:

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I was in a situation where I did not consent to a search- I said "no" then they brought out the dog and searched anyway. This was in Texas: in a rental car rescuing a buddy who was suffering a mental breakdown. They found nothing, but I had no idea what the contents of his suitcases were.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Because, (like coonfingering a gun) it can never be stated enough. Never give consent to a search. It can end badly for you. You have to protect yourself out there, because you can't carry Kirk, or one of his brethren, with you all the time.

Scott Morgan: 5 Reasons You Should Never Agree to a Police Search (Even if You Have Nothing to Hide)

Great article. I am actually ASTOUNDED....that may be the first GOOD thing I have ever ran across on the Huffington Post......:D

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Never had that question asked here in the US.I have been in Canada and did not have a choice...I guess I would ask the officer if I could search his cruiser first,and then he could search mine.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I think one reason some may agree to a search is in hope of not getting a ticket for what the stop was for. Say no and I will probably get the ticket for rolling through that stop sign. But, you kiss a little butt and you might get out of the ticket so say," well of course sir I have nothing to hide and I am always happy to comply and make your job easier because I know what a dangerous job you have. They sure don't pay you guys enough." Then when getting out of the vehicle for him to search do a double take and say," wow I see you spend some time at the gym. You must have a hard time finding uniform shirts that taper down from such wide shoulders to a small waist."
    Thats all they want to hear to send you off with a warning!!:D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've always known not to consent to a search even when I was young and naive.

I've been asked 3 times since getting my license...Two of them I said, "no thanks" and that was the end of the conversation (not even a "what do you have to hide?"). The other one pulled me out of the car and searched it anyway. He found absolutely everything illegal that was in the car (jack ****).

I was young and naive and didn't pursue anything, but in hindsight I certainly wish I did.

I also got a drinking ticket when I was 18 and he didn't even bother asking to search (meaning, he didn't ask and didn't search).

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A friend of mine and now former NOLA officer had to testify in that case. When I worked in NOLA he was the only person I planned to talk to if I got into any crap at all. He was an honest cop on a corrupt force. He was always at risk.

One mistake people make is the assumption everyone involved is honest/not dirty. The other mistake is not understanding the stats above, traffic stops are for fishing and good fisherman get promoted.

By giving consent you also elminate a lot of the potential human error that can be made, even by an honest cop. Say No and his next move may be the one that saves you later. Ask Ryan Braun about that, innocence is a non-issue, the **** was in the fridge. Can't convict if the **** is in the fridge and not the Fed Ex truck.

Top Bottom