• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    As an HHRP club officer I often run into things that I just don't know how to handle.

Our indoor range is set up with individual traps for each shooting station and we have to restrict the types of ammo due to the construction of the traps.
    We restrict Magnum ammunition, rifle calibers, shotguns.

Well 5.7x28 brass has been found at the range. I know its a pistol round, I know the velocity, and I know its intended purpose. What I don't know is what it does to steel traps,

If anyone has done any testing, or knows of a source for info on its effects on steel traps let me know

If not I have one of the old club steel traps at my house and if someone would be willing to run out to the house and burn a couple rounds into my trap for me I would appreciate it

I live 1/2 way between Martinsville and Morgantown 3 miles south of STRD 252

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 5.7 X 28 is the same performance as the old .22 hornet, and we shot that in ranges 50 years ago. That should not be a problem. 5.7 is allowed where I shoot. I am told, by a 5.7 enthusist, that there are steel core penetrator rounds made for that pistol, but they are supposedly not available in the USA. At the Applied Ballistics range, they keep a magnet by the check in station, and if there is any doubt, they check the ammo for steel core.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Well 5.7x28 brass has been found at the range. I know its a pistol round, I know the velocity, and I know its intended purpose. What I don't know is what it does to steel traps,

Can I ask what you believe its intended purpose is?

I will assume (knowing what assuming means) that you are speaking about the magical AP ammo is not legal for civilians to own. In addition, the bogus tests that the Brady Campaign did that I believe you are making reference to were just that...bogus.

The 5.7 X 28 is normally around 2500 fps probably less. You're looking at projectiles from 30gr to 50gr with under 500 ft-lbs of energy. I know you said that rifles are a no go, but 5.56 with a 55gr projectile you are getting around 3000 to 4000 fps with close to 1500 ft-lbs of energy. There is a huge difference.

While I have not shot a steel trap, I have shot plenty of Bobcat steel with my 5.7 AR. There were no pocket marks or any sign of penetration.

There is very little hard data out there about the round. I believe your test on the old trap is a great idea. If the drive wasnt over an hour I would glady bring my 5.7 to you to play with.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The Elite ammo isn't very common. Few people try to buy it and fewer yet are actually successful at getting any.
    The common 197 load is a VMax bullet so it's lightly contructed though it is moving at a pretty good clip. Do you know what alloy steel your backstops are?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think we got AR500 steel but AR500 is not magic, were finding at the range that our year old outdoor targets fatigue and wear out.

thats why we restrict pistol Non magnum and rifles to 22lr,

I think I'm going to have to talk about restricting it until we can do some testing. I don't see how I have a choice,
    I have to keep the good of the whole club in focus but I also want to stay away from knee jerk reactions and stupid regulation.

I wish when something new comes up people would work with range officials and help us not look like A**'s

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I think we got AR500 steel but AR500 is not magic, were finding at the range that our year old outdoor targets fatigue and wear out.

thats why we restrict pistol Non magnum and rifles to 22lr,

I think I'm going to have to talk about restricting it until we can do some testing. I don't see how I have a choice,
    I have to keep the good of the whole club in focus but I also want to stay away from knee jerk reactions and stupid regulation.

I wish when something new comes up people would work with range officials and help us not look like A**'s

at least they are leaving there 5.7 brass for you as a tip

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The standard blue tip sporting round (SS197LF) will not be a problem. That is the most common ammo that you will see. It has actually gotten more anemic in the last few years. I the older ammo that I have has a muzzle velocity out my pistol of around 2100 FPS. The current ammo will barely make 1750.

The older version of the SS192 was a little peppier. I don't shoot that round, and I haven't clocked it. The bullet itself has more value to me than the completed round. This bullet has the best ballistics of of any of their standard rounds, and cannot be purchased. The only way to get them is to pull them.

Top Bottom