• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok I know we all debate the "weak" stopping power of the 5.56. Well count me in as a full supporter of the 5.56. We just had a meat packing facility here in the city lose a large pissed off steer. They called in a panic as it was running through the city with a lot of pedestrians out. I was enroute along with several other guys. I was wondering if my dept .223 would get it done, as they were asking for PD help in putting it down. As I pulled up, two of our detectives and SWAT guys were out. I hear a crack and realized that a 5.56 had just been sent into the steer. It staggered it real good, then a second or two later the second round hit and the steer tumbled and did not get up. Distance was prolly about 50 yards and I am not sure where the rounds hit. My point is, if that would drop a 1000 pound steer, I feel confident that it will do what I need it to do on "other" targets.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's all about shot placement. If it would have hit a non vital meaty area, probably would have not had the same affect. Heck dear have been taken with a .22. Can not stress enough how important shot placement is. Nice story by the way.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Sounds like your dept is going to have a big BBQ. Alot depends on shot placement. I just wonder if a 762*39 or .308 would have dropped it on the first shot.

I recently tried a little experiment and shot a 1/4 " steel plate at 200 yards with .223 and then with 762*39. The results were dramatic. Could not believe how deeper and larger the dents were from the 762*39.

I wish I would have had a .308 to test also. Anyway, it was interesting...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    A buddy of mine shot a ~150# wild boar down in FLA that wandered onto the the range. distance was approx 150 yards. One shot from his 16" AR. I don't recall if it was 55 or 62 gr fmj.

One shot, thats all it took. Hit it just behind the shoulder. Shot placement is king. For everything else, there's .50bmg.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Some slaughter houses used to use a .22lr bang stick to the forehead of steer when slaughtering them. So a .223 dropping a steer is no surprise.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Huh...
    I know for a fact it will drop man like targets with just 1-2 FMJ rounds... Shot placement does not have to be perfect either (don't get me wrong I am a FIRM believer in shot placement). Just center of mass (Military Definition not some civy trainers...). But when you have zips and zings and a couple of tings next to you it tends to really effect your shot placing abilities...

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well, don't read my story if you love cows....

We had a cow a couple years ago that got semi-paralyzed from giving birth, so we had to put her down. I put a .44 mag round right between her eyes at 3 feet away. All the weird stuff happened that happens when animals die like that. Three days later she is still alive. 1 more to the head and one to the vitals ended it that time.

I am honestly surprised that a 5.56 is that effective at taking a large steer down, unless the shot hit the heart or both lungs.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Like most have said, Shot placement is key. A brahma bull got loose from a local farm that supplys bulls to the area rodeos. It made it's way down two farms to a friend of mines property. It was tearing the hell out of his fences trying to get to his cattle. He stood back and watched it's owners try to play cowboy and control it on horseback and the local dnr fire two tranquilizers missing on the first shot. He got pissed and got it with 4- 2/34" 12 gauge slugs. It was still moving after three to the body, but the final head shot took care of it. Needless to say he was sued by the company who owned the bull. Resulting in a win for him and he got to charge their insurance for the damage to his farm.

Last edited:

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    UPDATE: I talked to the shooter and he said that it was two head shots. We had to call the wrecker service that we use for all of our vehicle tows to haul the carcass out. The look on the tow truck drivers face was priceless.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    UPDATE: I talked to the shooter and he said that it was two head shots. We had to call the wrecker service that we use for all of our vehicle tows to haul the carcass out. The look on the tow truck drivers face was priceless.

Bet he wasn't expecting that call :ugh:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I dropped a wild boar in tennesee 1985 with a 7.62x39.One shot kill but i was very suprised at what the 45-70 failed to do.

Kind of a thread jack but from watching the way boar go down, I've become convinced that what kills a boar fast is blood loss more than shock of a bullet. I've shot them with .44 mags and 30-06s and they will run and run. The right stick (the right one) with a knife or bow and they drop near instantly.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    as said shot placement is key. The meat processor we use for our beef is a single shot 22 operation. They keep the animal calm and one shot into the brain drops them flat. An interesting point though is the keep them calm part. I have a scull over my bar from a Texas Longhorn bull I owned. Mind you my Longhorns are historically dog gentle but this guy got a little western and wouldnt stay in any fence. he was trully a psycho the day we penned him and took him to be made into burger. The processor was alittle sheepish about having to double tap him as he knew the scull was going to be mounted. I said dont sweat those 2 little holes as I showed him the 45-70 guide gun behind the truck seat incase that bull decided to come out of the trailer as we were going down the road. :)

Top Bottom