• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    With this issue in mind, I've recently purchased almost 7k rounds of Russian ammo in the past couple of week. Does the ATF track large ammo purchases? At least I consider this large... Should I expect their knock on my door?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With this issue in mind, I've recently purchased almost 7k rounds of Russian ammo in the past couple of week. Does the ATF track large ammo purchases? At least I consider this large... Should I expect their knock on my door?

Just to be safe you can store some at my house for awhile.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN

What do you mean. Didn't you have a cook out and shooting party yesterday?? Now left with only 50 rounds left.....

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I get not panic buying, but I also get not waiting until it is too late... maybe this is simply a matter of "buy what you can, as you can", just like we should be doing with all things, so the sudden storm is a non-issue.

I am still waffling between an AR and AK, and the dependence on a foreign supplier does concern me, but if I subscribe to the above philosophy, it should matter little, right?

Why are there no domestic producers?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Why are there no domestic producers?

If I had to guess, I would say that the foreign cost of steel is so low that it can be done overseas for much less. The majority of ammo made in the good ole U.S. of A. is brass cased and probably turns out a higher profit margin. Just a guess though.

If you look at stateside manufacturers that produce com bloc ammo, they choose brass but charge significantly more. For example, my local Walmart has Winchester brass cased 7.62x39 in stock but at $18.99 per box, nobody is buying.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I am a reloader, but the main reason why I still run surplus/wolf 7.62 & 5.45 threw guns is simply cost. For a normal .223 round if you assume I use range pickups: clean, trim, sort the brass my cost is still around ~ .18 cents each. .10 for the bullet, .03 pimer, .05 for powder and the cost for reloading this stuff just isn't there on a comparable basis. Best to buy'em cheep and stack'em deep IMO especially for blasting ammo which is all a como-bloc is good for anyway :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom