• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Hello INGO, was thinking of picking up a 4th gen G19 from a local shop today, but can't find a clear answer on whether or not the reported FTE issues have been dealt with for sure yet or not.

Any of you guys have any that you've purchased recently and can share your experience? Or store owners have any complaints?

Thanks for the help, if I just need to wait and find a 3rd gen I will.

Thanks again

-Chris

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I have not had a single FTE with my 4th Gen G19 with varying ammo. That's just personal experience. It's roughly a year old now. Frankly I wasn't aware there were any common problems.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I've never had an issue with ejected cases toward my head. I shot three mags in a row on my last range trip and the brass was all within a four foot circle, back and right of me.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I do see a lot more Glocks flinging brass straight rearward than I used to on the range. Now, keep in mind that I don't really pay attention to their generation when ONLY this happens because I see so many of them. I DO pay attention when there is consistent FTF/FTE issues. I was seeing those out of Gen 4s and not really from 3s. Lately, though I haven't seen many of those. I would say they'd be ok to purchase new now provided you don't mind the rearward ejection. None of my 3s eject straight back so I don't know where that issue is coming from, but just my observation.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I don't have a Gen 4, but would like to. When I get one this is what I will be doing to mine, it makes a lot of sense to me.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8Qt8ofCAw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8Qt8ofCAw[/ame]

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I do see a lot more Glocks flinging brass straight rearward than I used to on the range. Now, keep in mind that I don't really pay attention to their generation when ONLY this happens because I see so many of them. I DO pay attention when there is consistent FTF/FTE issues. I was seeing those out of Gen 4s and not really from 3s. Lately, though I haven't seen many of those. I would say they'd be ok to purchase new now provided you don't mind the rearward ejection. None of my 3s eject straight back so I don't know where that issue is coming from, but just my observation.

My gen3 did. Sent it to glock, they put night sights on (cheaper than anywhere I might add), got it back and they did nothing and said it was "within acceptable specs". They fired 4 mags through it.

I have yet to take it shooting due to work, but plan on it either today or tomorrow. Will post an update afterwards.

I believe they filed on my ejector and smoothed out a burr on the MIM part.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I'd be interested to hear any and all feedback from any Gen 4 owners as well. That video was 2 years ago, has anything changed or been improved upon?

I'm deciding between a 3rd or 4th Gen. Would any of these issues bother a beginner?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Guy I shoot w/ had a new Gen4 19 at the range last night. Brass was all over the place, including back at his head. He only fired a few rounds, but I saw no malfunctions. There are different fixes out there, but no single fix that seems able to fix ALL the guns. The problem is Gen3s and Gen4s 9mms. You can see my troubles here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/183441-new_production_gun-6.html

I've heard glock has a new extractor, but I don't believe it's made it's way through the supply and distribution chain based on what I saw last night. I intend to try to track one down to test.

Apex Tactical is in production on a new extractor they believe cures the problem.

I was able to fix my second gen3 G34 (that glock eventually replaced my first one with) by installing the Gen4 ejector and a stronger White Sound Defense extractor spring. Ejection is still week, but consistent (almost 1k rounds since my last malfunction). Obviously not a cure-all since the Gen4s already come with that ejector.

-rvb

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    As I understand it, the gen4 9mm Glocks where using too strong a recoil spring when there were first released. Glock changed the spring on both the 9mm and .40 cal. I never saw a news release on the specifics but I am guessing when they went to production someone put the .40 cal spring in the 9mm guns. There has been no official "recall" but there is a free replacement program if you think you get one of these recoil springs. It should have only happened in the first run of Glocks produced so by this time getting one of them new in box is near 0%.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    My gen3 did. Sent it to glock, they put night sights on (cheaper than anywhere I might add), got it back and they did nothing and said it was "within acceptable specs". They fired 4 mags through it.

I have yet to take it shooting due to work, but plan on it either today or tomorrow. Will post an update afterwards.

I believe they filed on my ejector and smoothed out a burr on the MIM part.

What did the night sights run you, if I may ask? I just picked up a G26 for my wife from another INGO member and I really liked the Glock night sights on it. Thought about grabbing some for my G19.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You mean "new" Gen 3s, correct?

"recent" gen3s. Brand new out of the factory -today- MAY have some new extractor and be improved. Late 2011, early-mid 2012 gen3s certainly, well, suck.

As I understand it, the gen4 9mm Glocks where using too strong a recoil spring when there were first released.

That was a problem, but not the only one. the extractor and ejector problem is another problem that has been plaguing recent gen3s and gen4s. The recoil spring issue is no longer a concern IMO.

-rvb

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    "recent" gen3s. Brand new out of the factory -today- MAY have some new extractor and be improved. Late 2011, early-mid 2012 gen3s certainly, well, suck.

That was a problem, but not the only one. the extractor and ejector problem is another problem that has been plaguing recent gen3s and gen4s. The recoil spring issue is no longer a concern IMO.

-rvb
    I believe that the serials involved have been posted lots of places, and I actually think it was an issue with burrs on the extractor/ejector as that looks like that's all they fixed.

Top Bottom