• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The OP has been given some great advice. Whether or not he's able to discern what that is and make a sound choice for his first press is entirely up to him. Once he has read a book or three, and maybe taken a reloading class, he'll know more about what he really needs. I'm sure he can figure it out for himself, with all the options he's been presented with.

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I simply don't understand the whole "I like it so it is the only way to go" point of view.
    I'm going to make one more plug for simplicity before I drop the subject.
    The Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
    will provide you with darn near everything you need to get started for a little over $100. It is not a Rolls Royce, but it is not cheap junk either. Lee is a great American company with great customer service.Moving up to more expensive stuff is easy to do but you might find out you don't need to. Besides, most serious reloaders find it useful to have more than one press.

I really appreciate the input. However, I'm just looking to load up some ammo fast and cheap. I need to know how to dial in a seriously automated system like the deal B and then pull a lever...again...and again...and again. I understand there is a "purist" aspect of the hobby, but for now, I'm looking for something else.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I really appreciate the input. However, I'm just looking to load up some ammo fast and cheap. I need to know how to dial in a seriously automated system like the deal B and then pull a lever...again...and again...and again. I understand there is a "purist" aspect of the hobby, but for now, I'm looking for something else.
    I hope that works well for you brother!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

The info you shared in post # 31 did reveal much about your needs.

The progressive probably would fit your needs best as for the " fast " aspect...

Now, on the " cheap " end of it... Well, that would be a good subject for your next thread.... You options there could range from buying jacketed bullets in small quanities to casting your own... Also, it's amazing just how many different options and sources that are out there you can order from. Just a short few years ago, I thought only MidwayUSA, Graf and Son's and Wideners were the only places that existed.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You can do "cheap and sorta fast" or you can do "fast and relatively expensive". If you find a way to load ammunition "cheap and fast", be sure to let us know! :D

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    You can do "cheap and sorta fast" or you can do "fast and relatively expensive". If you find a way to load ammunition "cheap and fast", be sure to let us know! :D

Are you just talking about the expense of the equipment when you compare "cheap and sorta fast" vs. "fast and relatively expensive"? Of course I know nothing about reloading yet, but I don't see why once you have whatever equipment your are going to buy, why it would be more expensive on one vs. the other. Component costs are component costs right?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Instructions on how to set-up, adjust and operate the outfits come with them. Dillon even has DVD videos for most of theirs, in case reading a booklet proves too taxing.

Understanding a good deal more than simply the rudiments of the entire reloading process FIRST is ab-so-lutely necessary if you value your hands, eyes, etc. Read that "ABCs of Reloading" and/or the several opening chapters of Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition" before you buy anything else. At least then you'll have a better grasp of what the 'must haves' are and why you'll need them.

Just MO, but it's been my experience that when all's said and done what reloading actually does is let me shoot a lot more for the same money, rather than "shoot more for less". OMMV.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    just a heads i have bought 2000 rounds of 45 shipped to my front door for 27 cents a round

cabelas has there steel case on sale for 12.99 a box combine that with free shipping and bam 277 shipped. i reload but my time is very limited right now so this was a better option for me.

i have also seen brass cased ammo for about 305 shipped lately but don't remember where.

on the reloading subject the dillion is awesome but your initial cost will be higher

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    There are just too many ways to hurt yourself or others due to reloading errors to mention here, take the advise of others and sit and read a few books on the subject, take a reloading class and then make your own informed decisions on what you really want/need equipment-wise. With all of the reloading equipment available these days the choices for someone just starting out are overwhelming, just take your time. I've been reloading for 40+ years and still don't have it all figured out.:twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are you just talking about the expense of the equipment when you compare "cheap and sorta fast" vs. "fast and relatively expensive"? Of course I know nothing about reloading yet, but I don't see why once you have whatever equipment your are going to buy, why it would be more expensive on one vs. the other. Component costs are component costs right?

Yes, components costs are going to be the same with whatever system you use. In fact, if your goal is to load truly large volumes of cartridges, economies of scale would lower unit cost even further. What I'm talking about is the initial cost, which many newbies look at and try to determine their ROI (return on investment). In other words, how many shots they have to load and fire before they've "saved" the amount of money they spent on equipment. Obviously, the less your equipment costs, the fewer rounds it takes to reach that break-even point. Or, from the other side of the fence, if you start with a progressive, it will load rounds faster, so you'll recoup that money faster. Given the higher start-up cost of a progressive, it might take the same amount of time, but quite a few more loaded rounds, to even out.

So, it all comes down to the basic question every would-be loader has to ask him or herself: How many cartridges/rounds am I going to load for and how much shooting will I do over a given period of time? For many folks, a single-stage or turret will kick out plenty of rounds to meet their shooting goals, and be more flexible in changing from loading one cartridge to another. If you will only load 1 cartridge, and load 500/mo, a progressive is the way to go. If you were only loading maybe 250/mo, or less, then I would strongly recommend the turret. If you were going to load 100 rounds of 45 and 100 rounds of high-power rifle every month, I would strongly recommend the single-stage.

You know what you shoot and how much time you have to devote to reloading cases. You also know how much of an investment you can afford to make, and how much you can afford to spend each month on ammo or components. Like I said earlier, once you've read a book or two, and maybe taken a class, you'll be the only person qualified to decide what press you should buy.

My personal opinion is that you would be well-served to start with a Lee Classic Turret. It would afford you the opportunity to separate the process of learning how to reload...from the process of learning how to run a progressive reloader. I am belaboring the point because it definitely bears repeating and any experienced reloaded would give you the same advice. Frankly, if you aren't shooting competitively, starting with a progressive is a bit like giving a new driver a V8 muscle car. They might figure it out before they wreck it...but maybe not.

Again, be sure to let us know which way you go and how it works out. The benefit of these forums is the vicarious lessons we can learn. I would suggest that you listen to the comments of other members who are new to reloading because their experiences are invaluable, IMHO.

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    My personal opinion is that you would be well-served to start with a Lee Classic Turret.

I just might. Like you said, I'm not competitively shooting so for realistically how much I shoot, you are probably right...a progressive is probably overkill. I'll update everyone after I have read the ABCs book. It got delivered yesterday.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm staying out of this thread. :D

You're either a wise man, a big chicken, or have a vested interest! :D

I think the OP could do far worse than to take your class and then spend maybe half an hour discussing his shooting interests with you, before making his decision. That would be better as a one-on-one discussion, though.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    recommendations for getting started reloading

it is more about what you are comfortable with when you first get started if you had never reloaded before not sure if you'll like it I would recommend taking the Lee anniversary kit you will need some components to get started you can more than likely get done with components in the kit right around $200 not have spent a small fortune for equipment you may or may not continue to use as far as how cheap you can get it down to round if you will select unique powder CCI primers and cast bullets somewhere between 9 cents to $.12 a round then what will happen as you become more involved in and talk to other people use other types of equipment you will decide what you like best some of the recommendations I've seen on the website were very good I am a full believer in the Dillon equipment the Square deal B is by far the best pistol pressed I have ever seen and if that's all you ever read a load is pistol ammo thing in the world matter what if you think you will load for rifle cartridges at Dillon 550 is a fantastic press will load everything from 25 ACP all the way to 50 cal but those will come at a later time if you would like to see either those prices in action I have both of them and will be doing reloading over the next week to 10 days feel free to contact me will work out time located south of Greenwood in Whiteland Indiana first name is Dave you can contact me at 549-5012 will be glad to help

davidson4901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I have 5 Lee loadmasters set up in 9mm, 357 sig, .40, 45 and 223. becouse there affordable and do a nice job. They can be a little tricky to get set up ( lee's instructions suck). They are a 5 station press wich I like due to the fact that I put a light factory crimp on everything. Cost $239.00, I average around 300 rounds per hour.

Top Bottom