• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the .45 Acp from Brother John M. Browning. But I also opted for the 10mm short aka .40 SW got a Police trade in at a good price and the ammo is cheaper. But I'd love to get a 10mm if my budget allowed.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I like the .45 Acp from Brother John M. Browning. But I also opted for the 10mm short aka .40 SW got a Police trade in at a good price and the ammo is cheaper. But I'd love to get a 10mm if my budget allowed.

If you're not already a reloader, 10mm is definitely one of the better rounds to realize cost savings with.
    You can also load it up power-wise to where you'd get an appreciative nod from Colonel Cooper out beyond the grave.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're not already a reloader, 10mm is definitely one of the better rounds to realize cost savings with.
    You can also load it up power-wise to where you'd get an appreciative nod from Colonel Cooper out beyond the grave.
    I do reload although due to my circumstances I have not reloaded a single round for nearly 4 years! And have not put a round down range in about a year. Hopefully 2017 will allow me more opportunities.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do reload although due to my circumstances I have not reloaded a single round for nearly 4 years! And have not put a round down range in about a year. Hopefully 2017 will allow me more opportunities.

How do you guys keep your sanity while not shooting? I try to shoot every week when I can afford to and feel the shakes coming on if I go a full 10 days without a bit of gun powder therapy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For all you 45acp vs 10mm experts out there. If you were going to try and max out what you could get out of a 45acp what ammo would you choose? I see lot of comparisons between the two calibers without any specific mentions of factory ammo. The reason I ask is that I have a G41 45acp that's already in the safe and while it's fun to play with the idea of buying a new 10mm again I'm kind curious how close I can get with the 45acp without having to buy a whole new gun, holster, mags, and pile of ammo etc.

In my particular case, I'm stocked up on 45acp 230g FMJ. The appeal to buying a 10mm for me would be for personal protection while out hiking on a remote trail in a worst case scenario like getting between a black bear and her cub, or a making a moose mad, or a pack of wolves, or just that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're out all by yourself alone in unfamiliar woods and you know you have something powerful for defense on your hip. I'm not thinking of a 10mm for two legged monsters, but 4 legged animals on a bad day.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    For all you 45acp vs 10mm experts out there. If you were going to try and max out what you could get out of a 45acp what ammo would you choose? I see lot of comparisons between the two calibers without any specific mentions of factory ammo. The reason I ask is that I have a G41 45acp that's already in the safe and while it's fun to play with the idea of buying a new 10mm again I'm kind curious how close I can get with the 45acp without having to buy a whole new gun, holster, mags, and pile of ammo etc.

In my particular case, I'm stocked up on 45acp 230g FMJ. The appeal to buying a 10mm for me would be for personal protection while out hiking on a remote trail in a worst case scenario like getting between a black bear and her cub, or a making a moose mad, or a pack of wolves, or just that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're out all by yourself alone in unfamiliar woods and you know you have something powerful for defense on your hip. I'm not thinking of a 10mm for two legged monsters, but 4 legged animals on a bad day.

You could get a Lone Wolf drop in .460 Rowland barrel for your Glock to really maximize the .45 platform. That would take you into .44 mag level performance. As far as sticking with .45 ACP, your best bet for the stated purpose would be to choose a load with a heavy for caliber bullet, probably hard cast. IMO, trying to go with a light bullet to increase velocity in a .45 ACP wouldn't make a lot of sense.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

What about getting a conversion barrel to run 10mm out of your .45? When I sold my G20, it was with the plan to run a conversion barrel in my G21 so I could still enjoy a poly 10. As for ammo, I cannot help with the 4 legged critters, but I do trust 230g Golden Sabers for the two legged variety.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You could get a Lone Wolf drop in .460 Rowland barrel for your Glock to really maximize the .45 platform. That would take you into .44 mag level performance. As far as sticking with .45 ACP, your best bet for the stated purpose would be to choose a load with a heavy for caliber bullet, probably hard cast. IMO, trying to go with a light bullet to increase velocity in a .45 ACP wouldn't make a lot of sense.

.460 Rowland has never really been on my radar and I'd have to look into it. As far as your ammo suggestions, I'd agree whole heartedly. When it's time for dangerous game, or any game really I prefer the heavier bullets and for fear of a big heavy four legged beast I think the hard cast would be a great choice assuming it shoots and functions well in the gun.

What about getting a conversion barrel to run 10mm out of your .45? When I sold my G20, it was with the plan to run a conversion barrel in my G21 so I could still enjoy a poly 10. As for ammo, I cannot help with the 4 legged critters, but I do trust 230g Golden Sabers for the two legged variety.

I did a chat with Lone Wolf and they no longer produce a 45acp to 10mm conversion barrel. :( The chat person told me I'd have to get the whole upper half with slide and everything else and that it'd just be cheaper to get a whole new glock 10mm. There are no conversions for the Glock 41, so apparently I'm either going to find the toughest 45acp ammo on earth, or buy a whole new gun.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Storm Lake offers a 6" .45 to 10mm conversion barrel for the G21. I wonder if that would fit a G41?
    I owned a Glock 41 at one point, as memory serves the sides of the slide are machined significantly thinner than on the g21 because the weight is made up in the length. I am guessing that this probably means that they don't recommend using the 10 mm barrels in them.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I owned a Glock 41 at one point, as memory serves the sides of the slide are machined significantly thinner than on the g21 because the weight is made up in the length. I am guessing that this probably means that they don't recommend using the 10 mm barrels in them.

That's my understanding also (narrower slide), but I can't see how using the 10mm barrel would be such a bad deal. As you said, you have enough slide weight (G41 vs G21).

Personally, I just want a G40. I miss my 10mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Please forgive me for replying even though I'm not an expert.

If you don't think a .45ACP has enough power, then I'd seriously explore the .460Rowland route. It is cheaper than a separate 10mm gun, and I'm told they run very reliably, which is critical in a 4-legged defensive gun just as in a 2-legged defensive gun.

I love the 10mm. For the woods defense use, it's hard to improve upon a hot 10mm with 200gr hardcast (buffalo bore, underwood, etc). But since you already have the G41, I think the Rowland route makes more sense for you.

That said, I strongly suspect that a .45ACP with the proper non-expanding hardcast load is more than sufficient for what you need in a woods gun. How can this load not be enough: https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-acp-p-255-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/

I think even a big black bear would have a hard time shrugging that off.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    That's my understanding also (narrower slide), but I can't see how using the 10mm barrel would be such a bad deal. As you said, you have enough slide weight (G41 vs G21).

Personally, I just want a G40. I miss my 10mm.

I think the issue is that they are worried the slides will crack. While they weigh the same, they are more lightly constructed in the 41. 10 mm is on the opposite end of the spectrum from 45 pressure wise.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sure, 10mm is *capable* of higher pressure (most factory loads are basically .40sw strength).

If there is a concern about the robustness of the G41 slide, I'd put a stiffer recoil spring in it so that the slide doesn't bottom out so hard when at full travel. Other than that impact force, I can't think of what would be such a threat to a G41 slide?

Wolff non-captive recoil springs with 22# or 24# springs run well in full size 10mm, even some fairly mild loads will cycle.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Sure, 10mm is *capable* of higher pressure (most factory loads are basically .40sw strength).

If there is a concern about the robustness of the G41 slide, I'd put a stiffer recoil spring in it so that the slide doesn't bottom out so hard when at full travel. Other than that impact force, I can't think of what would be such a threat to a G41 slide?

Wolff non-captive recoil springs with 22# or 24# springs run well in full size 10mm, even some fairly mild loads will cycle.

Oh, I don't doubt that you could do it and probably could do it without adverse consequences if you did it right. I'm just guessing that the manufacturer (and his lawyer) is worried about someone using a worn out 45 Spring with a full house 10 MM load and catching the back half of the slide in the face.

Plus, there aren't all that many 41s out there so doing even basic research/development and testing is probably a cost prohibitive proposition.

Top Bottom