• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    Something in the 4-600 range. Want something that can stand up to a lot of woods and brush, but be premium when the time comes. Do these compensate well for deer hunting at 100-150 yards?

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I have a leupold cqt on mine. My son hunted with it more than I did last year. I didnt get a shot to try it out. I like the scope, and put it on because I had it and it wasnt in use. Maybe a little bulky but I like the dot. I cant remember what the ballistics tables calculated mpbr for a deer size kill zone, but will look it up when home. Pretty certain it was beyond 150 yds

I picked up a nikon omega to try on it. Was gonna put it in a burris pepr mount, but havent gone so far as actually try it

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm running a Bushnell 3200 2-7 shotgun scope in a RRA flat top mount. It's held up so far... I put two deer in the freezer last season.:D

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Right now, a Bushnell Holosight but planning to put on my Vortex 1.5-4x32 crossfire... if I can find it... it's in my house somewhere. :dunno:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Following up my previous post - though it has no real bearing on what scope is used, though some impact in regards to mounting height.

Using a 300 gr JHP bullet with BC of .458 and muzzle vel of 1900 fps, along with an 8" target size (approx kill zone on a deer)...........

........you get a 29 yd near zero, 194 yd far zero, with a 226 yd MPBR. Should be 3.87" high at 100 yds.

I will say that this is all based on calculations and not on actual shooting. You should verify all the values, and actual POI by shooting. But if you zero your 458 SOCOM (based on this load) at 29 yds, you should be able to hit a kill shot on a deer out to 226 yds without any compensation in point of aim.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Something in the 4-600 range. Want something that can stand up to a lot of woods and brush, but be premium when the time comes. Do these compensate well for deer hunting at 100-150 yards?

The PST will defintally compensate well for deer hunting at 100-150. I linked the wrong version of the scope. This is what I ment to link priced at 479.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Capped)

Top Bottom