• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roberts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Well, I'm new to this 458 socom stuff. Ordered mine yesterday so maybe next week. They say the rifle is in stock for immediate shipment. Maybe next week. Ordered it from Class 3.
    I am not new to large slow bullets or not so slow bullets, as the case may be.
    I have shot wild hogs with 45/70 factory 405 grain Remngton loads out of Shikari single shot and f/u shots would have been a comfort. I have also played with 416 Remingyton using cast bullets and have a couple hundred rounds of 416 Rigby behind me. (recoil enters a new age). I shot a 9'5" Alaskan Brown with the Ruger 416 Rigby in 2001 and don't feel that it was too much gun. He didn't blow up like a prairie dog. Having said all that I feel that the Socom would be more than adequate and am planning black bear hunt in the spring if all goes well.
    I have shot cast bullets in 45/70, 43 /spanish,and 11mm Mauser AS well as carious pistol cartridgers and I feel sure that a handloader could cast many of the conventional 458 cast bullets with good results.

George Pavel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    I tried a lot of different powders and bullets for the SOCOM. The only one I load and sell is with the 325 gr. FTX bullet. I went with 40.5 grains of Reloader 7, case trimmed to 1.571", COL 2.138", Hornady Comparator 1.6475" and a slight crimp after seating. It didn't need a crimp to feed well but shot better with the crimp. The velocity is 1800 fps. and it printed 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Top Bottom