• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    like it says... post YOUR results, post a LINK to somwhere where someone has posted load data or a website or anything....

namely info for a 325 grain bullet.... or even better if its for a leverrevolution round.

and i REALLY would like to see somewhere where someone tried to load .458 socom with large rifle primers....

will be shooting my newly built savage bolt gun in .458 bfg on monday and have waited until the last minute to find some data.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The vast majority of the load data was posted on the 458 SOCOM website. Over the years, there has been at least three different sites, the data seems to have been lost over each "update". The site is currently down again.

I've got all of it - other than the last few months.

Most of it isn't going to be terribly relevant for your bolt gun, but it will give you some good starting loads.

Large rifle primers is all I've ever used in the SOCOM cases. Machine your primer pockets to the correct depth using a Sinclair or other trusted supplier(s) primer pocket uniformer/cutter.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    just read this post, dont have any exp with the rounds, but you know its probably not good when google puts this post at #3 in the search results.

good luck with the search, and ill let you know if i come across anything.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i emailed him and he never emailed me back.... all i need is a starting charge for lil gun with a 326 grain bullet.... only have 50 of them so unless i find data i may be hurting trying to work up a really good load trying to conserve ammo

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I THINK I FOUND SOME.... dont take my word for it, but just so its written down SOMEWHERE.... i think my starting load is going to be 32 grains.... work up in .3 grain incriments and ill find my max tomorrow.... then ill back it down for accuracy.... i think i just saved myself half my ammo!!!!!
    thanks for the help vette and aclark.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I THINK I FOUND SOME.... dont take my word for it, but just so its written down SOMEWHERE.... i think my starting load is going to be 32 grains.... work up in .3 grain incriments and ill find my max tomorrow.... then ill back it down for accuracy.... i think i just saved myself half my ammo!!!!!
    thanks for the help vette and aclark.

where did you end up finding it just out of curiousity.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    haha... i did a burn rate comparison with h110 and lil gun....... then i looked at all the h110 load data from the link ar15.com link and found one or two lilgun stats and compared them... they werent for my bullet weight but after looking at all the information i figure that 33 grains is a safe starting area.... really i should start with 30 but this is a bolt action and my bullets will be seated longer than they typical 458 so i think i am ok starting with 33 grains.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    The vast majority of the load data was posted on the 458 SOCOM website. Over the years, there has been at least three differe sites, the data seems to have been lost over each "update". The site is currently down again.

I've got all of it - other than the last few months.

Most of it isn't going to be terribly relevant for your bolt gun, but it will give you some good starting loads.

Large rifle primers is all I've ever used in the SOCOM cases. Machine your primer pockets to the correct depth using a Sinclair or other trusted supplier(s) primer pocket uniformer/cutter.

Could you arrange to post this data you have compiled? Available data is pretty scarce.
    Jim

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I e-mailed them & Marty sent me all the reloading data that he had, took him a couple of days to get back to me, though.
    If anybody wants the data, PM your e-mail addy & I'll get it to you.
    Also, the ballistics are similar to 45/70 Gov

TeppoJutsu@ev1.net

roberts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Well, I'm new to this 458 socom stuff. Ordered mine yesterday so maybe next week. They say the rifle is in stock for immediate shipment. Maybe next week. Ordered it from Class 3.
    I am not new to large slow bullets or not so slow bullets, as the case may be.
    I have shot wild hogs with 45/70 factory 405 grain Remngton loads out of Shikari single shot and f/u shots would have been a comfort. I have also played with 416 Remington using cast bullets and have a couple hundred rounds of 416 Rigby behind me. (recoil enters a new age). I shot a 9'5" Alaskan Brown with the Ruger 416 Rigby in 2001 and don't feel that it was too much gun. He didn't blow up like a prairie dog. Having said all that I feel that the Socom would be more than adequate and am planning black bear hunt in the spring if all goes well.
    I have shot cast bullets in 45/70, 43 Spanish,and 11mm Mauser as well as various pistol cartridgers and I feel sure that a handloader could cast many of the conventional 458 cast bullets with good results.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom