• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks Joe i'll keep you posted. I'm gonna try afew things,if not figured out this weekend i'll get ahold of ya. Andy

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Check your resizing die make shure it all most touches shell plate make a mark on it so you putt it in the same place every time you screw it down if that don't work you need rcbs dies.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Keep your Lee stuff, its works just fine. You should be feeling the case mouth when you adjust the screw down on the FCD. If you don't, something is either wrong or you don't have the body of the die screwed in enough. Run it down until it touches the shell holder, then back it out ever so little (so the shell holder doesn't hit it when on the "up" stroke).

That makes me think of another question, are you adjusting your dies with the ram of the press in the "up" position? Dumb question, I know, but I've adjusted dies without the ram being in the fully up position.

Otherwise, just try adding a little more crimp. I know you are reading that you don't need to, but sometimes you do. And it sounds to me like this is one of those times. If you are putting too much of a flare on your cases from the expander/powder charge die, adding a little more crimp will take it back out. The FCD will do this for you very easily once you get it adjusted correctly.

Stick with it! Once you figure this out, I think you will enjoy the hobby.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Keep your Lee stuff, its works just fine. You should be feeling the case mouth when you adjust the screw down on the FCD. If you don't, something is either wrong or you don't have the body of the die screwed in enough. Run it down until it touches the shell holder, then back it out ever so little (so the shell holder doesn't hit it when on the "up" stroke).

+1

Nothing wrong with Lee dies. Actually, they have a couple of features unique to them that I just wouldn't want to be without now that I'm used to them.

If you do in fact have your factory crimp die adjusted right, might start looking at your expander die. I assume you have the " powder thru " expander... Lee dies are great, but at times some componets can be a bit out of spec and also the surface finish a bit rough. I had fits with the Lee expander for .357 sig and ordered another one. The problem was I was not happy with the neck tension on the bullet and how rough the expander would enter / leave the case mouth. Come to find out, the finish was very rough on the expander plug itself, so I just very LIGHTLY polished it on a nylon buffer. It didnt take more than .0005 side to improve both issues ! Might pull your expander plug out and mic it. Since then , I have lightly polished every expander plug I have bought. I wouldn't attempt this unless you have a decent set of mics. You dont want to remove much . If you take out the machining marks, you went too far ! Just hit the high spots lightly. As an added bonus, this will also make your powder measure work MUCH smoother and consistent if you have one mounted up top the die.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    It was the expander die, however it was NOT the dies fault, I was expanding my cases to much ( die was turned in to much) I backed it out and everything has been working great. AllenM gave me the heads up in a brief discussion at MCFG, told me to check my sizing die (size a case then see if the bullet would go into the case) and then expand and see if the bullet would go into the case. The bullet would not after sizing however, after expanding it, it would easily drop into the empty case. OMG It was one of the most frustrating things ever. Oh by the way i've pulled more bullets than you can imagine!!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    After reading through this thread, I have to ask whether you've got a reloading manual and have read it? Did you read the directions that came with your dies?

In my experience, if you read a reloading manual and follow the directions that come with your equipment, things tend to work very well.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    No, I don't need one of those, Those manuals are for bottom feeders from Bloomington.( not really just mospeada) Yes mospeada I have a manual and read it along with the instruction that came with the dies,however i will say that the instructions for the both of them are different.

I stated before "Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience"

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    Oh don't even think about tellin me i need NEW equipment!! I've just about had enuff of this reloading crap i can stand. ITS SUPER FRUSTRATING!!! and what the heck is a taper crimp? the funny thing is i made prolly 100rds last week that were perfect,didn't even need the "Factory crimp die" Then i get some more of the SAME bullets and i'm having this problem. are 45 rds this darn finicky? has anybody had trouble w/rem. brass?

Calm down, Just invite someone over that reloads to check out your stuff.

Couple tweeks and a little time to show and tell and you will be on your way.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if I repeat what another said. Its not the Lee equipment. I've used it for years and its fine. I've had the problem you describe, but I tend to use a lot of mixed (and old) headstamp brass. I believe it is the case wall thickness at the neck and I haven't found a solution yet. Its not over expanding it as one post said. The sizer and crimper will get that back to the right size. But these dies work on the outside of the brass, not the inside. I've tried roll and taper crimping, and sometimes just can't get it snug enough. I've thrown that brass out. If its happening with all your brass, it may be the brand. Military brass tends to be a bit heavier and should be thick enough, but if its Republic of BF origin, maybe its not thick enough.

Top Bottom