• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Good looking gun you have there! I have read some stuff about having to modify some 1911's out of the box to get good function out of them. Is this all hogwash? I think that if I was going to drop $1500+ on a gun it better function like nothing else.

Buy a quality gun and you won't have any problems. It's a 100+ year old design that's been refined and tweaked over the years to a point of precision. You don't have to spend a fortune but I do recommend doing your homework and getting a good gun to start with.
    I have been carrying a 1911 for decades with no problems until I bought a couple of "bargain" 1911s. That's when trouble started. I wasted my money.
    IF you just want a gun to shoot a box or two of shells every few months then you might get by with a bargain gun. IF you are going to bet your life on a gun then get a good gun.
    How much do you value your life? It's price relevant IMO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good looking gun you have there! I have read some stuff about having to modify some 1911's out of the box to get good function out of them. Is this all hogwash? I think that if I was going to drop $1500+ on a gun it better function like nothing else.

Never seen a $1K 1911 have any issues that require mods to function. That usually happens with the $400 offerings. I had a springer NM Trophy match that had an issue with the grip safety but that did not effect function at all. Found the issue by accident. AllenM made the repair. Very unusual.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I own a Springer TRP Tactical. It is one of my favorite guns and my primary home defense piece. It runs like a race car, eats anything I have fed it and has not once missed a beat. I run the :poop: out of this gun because that it was it was intended for. Yes, a bit spendy...get more for the money....I do not see what more you would want.
    If you want groups buy a Springer RO and enjoy it. If you want a tactical 1911, for the money, TRP.

JMHO

So it's been run hard and put up wet. I'll give you $50 for it any way. :ingo:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    FNX45 and you'll never look back

:yesway: These are GREAT guns and I carry one on my duty belt when I do recoveries. But it's hard to find decent holsters for them. The choice is very limited. My EDC is the Springfield TRP you mention above. It's a fine handgun that is packed with the most modern features and will last a lifetime or two. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So it's been run hard and put up wet. I'll give you $50 for it any way. :ingo:

That would not cover the grips.....:laugh:

I do run this one hard. We run mag dump drills on a target while moving. I use 10 Rd. Chip Mc's in this one. It will chew up a 10 rd. mag in a heart beat and never miss a beat.....I love this one.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    main.php

Nuff Said. :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I like 1911's but like the as-issued double action 1909 much, much more. If you can find one in good condition grab it, find a 260 grain mold and rejoice.

Medic529

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    The Westside
    I have a 1911 and a Glock 21. The Glock was my first handgun and I love it. The 1911 is fun and a good classic shooter, but the extra capacity of the Glock, ease of field strip for cleaning, and reliability make it the winner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 1911 and a Glock 21. The Glock was my first handgun and I love it. The 1911 is fun and a good classic shooter, but the extra capacity of the Glock, ease of field strip for cleaning, and reliability make it the winner.

My 1911's run with any Glock I have ever seen, they are not overly difficult to strip down if you know how and they are dead on accurate nullifying the capacity myth. Hit what you are shooting at the first time and no more issues.

You knew someone was going to say this right......:)

Seriously, none of our 1911's have any real issues when we run them. Every gun will miss a beat at some point.
    Steel is real, makes a nice bludgeoning device when the low capacity thing gets you.

Oh yeah, welcome new guy.

Medic529

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    The Westside
    Yeah someone had to say it. Haha. I love them both. It there is something about my Glock that makes it my go to gun every time. I have never had any issues with either, just like the simplicity of the Glock. I will agree that there is something to be said about all steel to throw when the lead runs dry!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    All I know is a lot of 1911's are finicky. The polymers.....not so much. To me, a 1911 is a range toy. My polymer handguns are the tools I use for self protection.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    All I know is a lot of 1911's are finicky. The polymers.....not so much. To me, a 1911 is a range toy. My polymer handguns are the tools I use for self protection.
    A lot of GUNS are finicky. I prefer steel but I've owned my share of polymers. None of my quality guns have had issues. Polymer OR steel. I have had issues with my "average" guns and my bargain basement guns. I've even had good performance from a couple of my "cheapies" as well. You just have to know each individual gun and what it does and how dependable each gun is. Forget the stereotypical internet hype and talk. A lot of it is from those who don't own or shoot them. You're going to find a lot of armchair quarterbacks that "Never played the game"

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, never tried to jam a 1911 but never had one to jam either. My philosophy is to use the loaded cartridge geometry it was designed for.
    Simply put .45 caliber doesn't have to go fast. Even slow hollow points do a lot of damage if you tailor the load to the piece.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    A lot of GUNS are finicky.

1911's more so than most other "quality" handguns. If I pick up a glock for $500, I have 0 doubt there will be any issues. If I pick up say a loaded Springfield 1911, I'd expect it to have a higher chance of malfunctioning than the glock, and even though I consider it a high quality gun, I would go into buying it assuming there is a chance I'm going to have to take it to a gunsmith to have some things tweaked to get it running 110%. I'm not talking about cheap junk guns. I'm talking about quality firearms. The 1911 is just a more finicky gun. It requires more tuning and care than the new quality polymer handguns that are out there right now.

Sure, I can buy a $1000-$1500 1911 that's tuned correctly and built so it'll be as reliable as one of the new polymer wonders, but why would I do that when I can pick up a stock $500 glock. I'm not into spending an extra $1000 to get the same reliability out of a service/carry gun that's going to get used and abused.

Now, for a range toy or something that I have fun shooting...sure, I love a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Our 1911's eat anything we feed them.
    Cheap, crap A$$ entry level 1911's and worn out military pieces started and keep this myth alive.
    Get a good one, keep it clean and rule the world.....Pinky and the brain.

If you feel safer with polymer that is a personal decision. It is very hard to inject an old wives tail into a thread that many 1911 junky's (me too) are posting in.
    As you say you own one I assume it runs well for you at the range and is probably a bit more accurate than the polymer.
    If this is the case why would it not run well in a personal protection role. This is a fair question and not meant to knock your plastic gun. I have shot many Glocks. They all ran very well. They will not group like my RO but they are not as expensive to purchase.
    You can ride a Harley or choose a metric bike that looks like one. It is all in what you want, can afford and are comfortable with.

Top Bottom