• ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Hello all,
    I've been reloading for a while now and just added a 45 to my collection so now I need to load for this.
    I have a rcbs 3 die carbide set.
    Here is my issue. I can size/deprime, flare, and seat but the finished round will not chamber. I have taken a sized/deprimed case and dropped it into the barrel (taken out of gun) and it sits properly, I can flare the case and drop it in the barrel without problems. When I seat the bullet along with taper crimp and drop it in the barrel it will not fully set in the chamber. upon inspection of the loaded cartridge I am seeing a .003" variance (outward ring) in the middle of the loaded cartridge which feels to be the were the base of the bullet it seated in the case. This bulged out ring is hanging the cartridge up from fully falling in the chamber.
    Using 230grn LRN bullet (specs have been triple checked and accurate to 0.452")
    Mixed Head stamp brass.

I've tried adjusting differant crimps and bullet seating depths without success.
    Help me out if you can with possibilities of my problem here.
    If you need more description let me know.
    Thanks

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I often get that slight bulge in the case where the bullet seats in .45 acp. It does not affect chambering however.

.452 sounded big to me - I'm used to seeing .451. But I just checked my manuals and apparently .451 is common for jacketed while .452 is spec for lead bullets.

Have you tried comparing your ammo to a factory brand that you know does chamber correctly?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I also load .45 ACP and noticed that I have to use a little more bell on the case mouth to be sure that the bullet starts straight during the seating process.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I too had the same experience. Upon discussing this with someone, it was determined that I was putting in too much taper crimp, and that was causing the expansion ring just below the base of the seated bullet. I backed out a couple of thousands on the taper tie and that cured my problem.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    load up 2-3 dummy rounds no powder or primer use a candle and smoke the entire cartridge heavily attempt to chamber them the shiny spots will be where your hanging up and then you can head in the right direction

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    Hmmmm, one other suggestion. You said that the flared case will fit the chamber? The flare might not provide enough clearance to start the bullet and the case is buckling. Try adding a bit more flare to see if that helps.

Mike

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The 45 acp round uses a .451 diameter bullet. The .452 bullet you are using is for the 45 long colt. I use the hornady XTP 250 grain bullets in the .452 for my lever deer gun. You might be ok with lead bullets but the jacketed bullets are too big in diameter for the 45 acp. I get that bulge in the finished bullets for my 45 and have never had a feding problem. Find some .451 and try them. I'm betting that will solve your problem.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I load .452 diameter cast lead bullets in various weights with no problems in my .45's. You should be able to as well.

You said you tried various seating depths with no success. So I'm going to assume that a factory round of the same overall length will chamber in your barrel. (I like the safety factor of using the barrel ONLY as a test) In other words you compared a good round to what you are using.

Ok, make sure that you are completely resizing the brass. I have found that I need my resizer die to just barely touch the shell plate to get the full benefit of the process. An incomplete resize coupled with a too strong taper crimp could cause just enough of a bulge to cause the failure to lock up. That would be my guess.

I use a Dillon 550B with Dillon dies and had a similiar problem a while back after swapping dies on the tool head. Moved the lock ring on the die a few turns the wrong way and was about 1/8" short on the resizing. Just enough to cause problems.

Good Luck!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cast lead bullets - .452" dia
    Jacketed bullets - .451" dia

Crimp (this goes for all auto cartridges that headspace on the case mouth - 45 ACP, 9x19mm, 40 S&W) should equal: bullet diameter + 2x case thickness (measured at case mouth)

Example (40 S&W): .400" (jacketed bullet dia) + 0.010"x2 (case thickness at case mouth) = .420" measured with digital caliper or micrometer

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been loading .45 ACP for a while. I suggest that you get a separate taper crimp die and crimp as a separate step (the last step). Buy the cheapest taper crimp die available. Before you do this, make sure that the seater die is set so that there is no crimp being applied to the case. Crimp your cases to about .470", measured at the case mouth. As others have said, your .452" lead bullets are fine.

What kind of gun are you shooting these in?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ditto the other comments. Your seat die does a roll crimp not taper. You need a 4th die to do a true taper crimp. I load .452 bullet all the time in my 45 btw they work fine. Lee factory crimp are nice dies

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lee factory crimp can help out a lot of times with wide lead bullets. I have also used the Redding taper crimp die when I don't want to resize the cartridge.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have been loading .45 ACP for a while. I suggest that you get a separate taper crimp die and crimp as a separate step (the last step). Buy the cheapest taper crimp die available. Before you do this, make sure that the seater die is set so that there is no crimp being applied to the case. Crimp your cases to about .470", measured at the case mouth. As others have said, your .452" lead bullets are fine.

What kind of gun are you shooting these in?

Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Lee dies are taper crimp, not roll

Check out the info on the Lee site. Their pistol dies are already taper crimp dies. You don't have to buy a separate one.

Top Bottom