• ...and so much more!
  • Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I'm getting myself confused...

I'm new to reloading and ran my first batch of .45 a couple of nights ago. I'm using 230 gr Hornady FMJ with 4.3 gr of Titegroup. My Hornady manual states the OAL to be 1.210. After loading a batch, I started second guessing myself on the length especially since my Lyman and Speer manuals state a longer length for 230 gr FMJ. Is this too short? I'm on the bottom end of the load, so I'm probably being too conservative, but I don't want to KABOOM my USP or SR1911.

Any thoughts on this? Did I set the bullets too short? Should I pull all of these and try again or just load them up and let 'em eat?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm getting myself confused...

I'm new to reloading and ran my first batch of .45 a couple of nights ago. I'm using 230 gr Hornady FMJ with 4.3 gr of Titegroup. My Hornady manual states the OAL to be 1.210. After loading a batch, I started second guessing myself on the length especially since my Lyman and Speer manuals state a longer length for 230 gr FMJ. Is this too short? I'm on the bottom end of the load, so I'm probably being too conservative, but I don't want to KABOOM my USP or SR1911.

Any thoughts on this? Did I set the bullets too short? Should I pull all of these and try again or just load them up and let 'em eat?

How many did you load without testing?
    Have you cycled them through to see if they feed ok?

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've done some tests with overall length.
    These were Berry 230 gr. plated RN,
    Winchester large pistol primers and
    assorted brass. I used Titegroup for all tests.
    Velocities are the averages of 10 shots
    through my chrono with a
    Kimber Tactical Custom II (5 in barrel):

Grains ... OAL ... velocity (f/s)
    4.0 ....... 1.20 ..... 710
    4.2 ....... 1.20 ..... 780
    4.2 ....... 1.23 ..... 720
    4.2 ....... 1.26 ..... 680
    4.4 ....... 1.20 ..... 780
    4.6 ....... 1.20 ..... 815
    4.6 ....... 1.23 ..... 765

I use 4.6 gr at 1.23 currently. I lengthened it
    only because I was having feeding problems
    and I was trying everything to fix it
    ... it ends up that the feeding errors were most
    likely due to something else.

Hope this helps.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Thanks dude! I chatted with Andrew from Profire as well. I'm going to fire one through my USP and examine for any signs of overpressure before loading up the rest. But from the looks of your data, I should be in the clear. How was your accuracy through that series?

I've done some tests with overall length.
    These were Berry 230 gr. plated RN,
    Winchester large pistol primers and
    assorted brass. I used Titegroup for all tests.
    Velocities are the averages of 10 shots
    through my chrono with a
    Kimber Tactical Custom II (5 in barrel):

Grains ... OAL ... velocity (f/s)
    4.0 ....... 1.20 ..... 710
    4.2 ....... 1.20 ..... 780
    4.2 ....... 1.23 ..... 720
    4.2 ....... 1.26 ..... 680
    4.4 ....... 1.20 ..... 780
    4.6 ....... 1.20 ..... 815
    4.6 ....... 1.23 ..... 765

I use 4.6 gr at 1.23 currently. I lengthened it
    only because I was having feeding problems
    and I was trying everything to fix it
    ... it ends up that the feeding errors were most
    likely due to something else.

Hope this helps.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks dude! I chatted with Andrew from Profire as well. I'm going to fire one through my USP and examine for any signs of overpressure before loading up the rest. But from the looks of your data, I should be in the clear. How was your accuracy through that series?

These load tests were for IDPA/USPSA/Steel ... to test the accuracy of these loads I tend to shoot 10 off hand shots at 7 yards at the pace I shoot in competition. I figure this includes felt recoil, etc in how accurately I can shoot them in a match ... so I don't get a real measure for the true accuracy of the load. For the series at 1.2 COAL, 4.6 gr was most accurate in my hands and for the series at 4.2 gr, a COAL of 1.23 was most accurate ... hence the 4.6/1.23 combo I am loading now. This gives a 176 power factor well above the 165 floor.

I find in general that my Kimber likes relatively hot loads. I have a series of lighter recoil springs that I plan to test with lighter loads to see if I can tweak this a bit.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I did a lot of research when trying to figure out OAL of a given .45acp handload. The consensus seems to be to let your chamber guide you. For your bullet, I load to 1.260. I could go longer but they pass the plunk test and feed perfectly. Hornady XTP 230gr bullets won't come anywhere near chambering at that length though. I seat those to 1.20 in order to pass the plunk test and feed reliably. The consensus also was that a longer cartridge length helps reliability in some pistols.

The plunk test that I referred to is done by taking the barrel out of your slide and dropping a loaded round into the chamber. Listed for that "plunk" and be sure that the bullet isn't catching on the rifling. Also make sure the end of the case is flush or below those lugs on the barrel hood. Google plunk test and you'll find a picture of how it should look. Now that you chambered all 20 of those rounds twice, you might want to go back and measure them again. They may be shorter than what you remember!

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I did a lot of research when trying to figure out OAL of a given .45acp handload. The consensus seems to be to let your chamber guide you. For your bullet, I load to 1.260. I could go longer but they pass the plunk test and feed perfectly. Hornady XTP 230gr bullets won't come anywhere near chambering at that length though. I seat those to 1.20 in order to pass the plunk test and feed reliably. The consensus also was that a longer cartridge length helps reliability in some pistols.

The plunk test that I referred to is done by taking the barrel out of your slide and dropping a loaded round into the chamber. Listed for that "plunk" and be sure that the bullet isn't catching on the rifling. Also make sure the end of the case is flush or below those lugs on the barrel hood. Google plunk test and you'll find a picture of how it should look. Now that you chambered all 20 of those rounds twice, you might want to go back and measure them again. They may be shorter than what you remember!
    This. I don't reload 230's so can't really comment much. All of my loads are LSWC or LRNFP. I can say that as far as OAL specs go, I don't follow them to a "T".

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    This. I don't reload 230's so can't really comment much. All of my loads are LSWC or LRNFP. I can say that as far as OAL specs go, I don't follow them to a "T".
    this.

I typically load them based on my gun and use the "data" as a reference. Accuracy is better if the ammo is tailored to the gun anyways. :)

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    You also have to consider bullet shape/length. Not all bullets of similar weight will be the same length. As far as pressure, you need to be concerned with how deep the base of the bullet is seated.

Top Bottom