• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Has anyone used a 444 Handi-rifle? Been thinking about one for a upcoming Hog hunt in Texas.
    What kind of range could you get out of one?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't have any experience...

But are you sure you want to torture yourself with the .444?

I've read reports (some on here, actually) of them beating themselves up under the stress of the .500Mag. I'd imagine that the .444 is approaching that.

If I were looking for an inexpensive rifle for hog hunting, I'd look for one in .308, .270, or .30-06.

That's just my recoil-sensitive opinion, though.

I'd also venture a guess that the above cartridges will give at least 2x the range of the .444.

-J-

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    .444 isn't all that bad. It's biggest limitation is getting enough powder in the case and bullet selection. Although bullet selection has improved since I had my .444 Marlin. For a hard hitting 150-200 yd package it fills the bill pretty nicely. If you are planning on going hog hunting, the cartridge is a good selection given the average distance of engagement, however I would seriously consider a repeater! Hogs can get pretty mean and nasty!

Hornzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I was thinking the 444 for the hogs and I was also told you could shoot 44 mags in it for deer in Indiana.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I was thinking the 444 for the hogs and I was also told you could shoot 44 mags in it for deer in Indiana.

I think that will split that case right open if you try a 44 mag in it. The 444 is a tapered case. You better research that better I believe.

Top Bottom