• ...and so much more!
  • Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Lower rifle mass = higher felt recoil for a given caliber

The Rossi weighs less than 5 lbs with a 16" barrel (unloaded)
    That's one reason I'm hesitant about getting a Rossi. I'd really like to get him a Henry because of the weight and lower felt recoil. I'm trying to get the rest of my siblings to get on board with getting him a new gun. This would make it much easier lol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That's one reason I'm hesitant about getting a Rossi. I'd really like to get him a Henry because of the weight and lower felt recoil. I'm trying to get the rest of my siblings to get on board with getting him a new gun. This would make it much easier lol.
    Henry is a solid choice. My boy owns a Silver 45colt and a golden 44mag loves them both. He's a cowboy action shooter in Kentucky. For range he likes the 44mag.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I'm in the same predicament. I have been looking for a 44 CVA Scout since last firearms season for my dad. One shop has had some ordered since last fall. My dad's 12 ga barrel blew out. He doesn't have a desire for another shotgun. I suggested the 44. I have one in the Handi-Rifle and love it. I have considered going with a 350 because they have been more available. I am hesitant because I already load the 44 so ammo isn't a concern. I have extra guns that my dad can borrow this season. I just hope I can find one before next season.
    I really don't know enough about the 350. I wish I had a few more months so I could shoot one myself and see. I have a few guns he could borrow, but man he'd be ecstatic to have a new gun to hunt with. It's something he'd never buy for himself.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I would recommend staying with an 1892 clone like a Rossi if you go Winchester lever action or clone. There are a fair number of actual Winchester 1894s around in 44 but a high percentage of them seem to require sorting out for feed issues. The Rossis come up for sale regularly, some new old stock, and have a reasonable (by today's standards) price point. It is more difficult/more expensive to get one without the horrid safety mechanisms if your Dad is a traditionalist like I am

The Winnies and clones are considerably lighter than Henrys or Marlins. If part of the reason your Dad no longer enjoys hunting with the gauge is declining physicality, lower weight is a trade-off between ease of carry and felt recoil, but you carry the gun all day and fire it probably once or twice. Were it me, I would go with ease of carry

You might need to get him directly involved in making the choice to get him something he would really want and enjoy
    Alot of his problem is recoil. That damn 12 gauge kicked like a mule and I could tell just from watching him shoot it that was the issue. Having an accurate firearm that you enjoy shooting can play a key factor in your hunting experience. I do agree with you on the weight and ease of carry also. My dad is 65 but in great shape for his age.

Maybe getting him involved is the best bet. Thanks for the advice!!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    He has 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns at the house, but only ever uses the 12 gauge. It kicks like a mule and he flinches extremely bad. My dad definitely isn't a gun collector of any sort, and he only shoots when he hunts.
    My Dad is the same way. He won't even sight in his new guns and just has me do it. He doesn't even want to verify that my zero on his gun works for him. It's a good thing I like to shoot, or he would never have a sighted-in gun to hunt with.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I always try to get my dad out to the range. I have quite a few guns and always ask him if he wants to shoot one, most of the time he says no but most of the time I can get him behind a gun.

Sounds like you are a good shot and your dad trusts that. That's pretty cool!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had the opportunity to handle a new 'Henry X' at my LGS yesterday. Now there is a weapon ready for anything you want to do!

It comes with a threaded barrel, rail, you name it. Has a widened loop but no wrap with the 550 cord like shown at the Shot Show.

How are you set for 45-70?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would vote for a nice little lever gun, in .44 Mag. Much more versatile than the .350 Legend, especially if he would ever just want to take it out to the range for some fun.

I owned a Ruger American Ranch, in .350 Legend. Damn nice rifle and caliber for Midwest deer or Black bear/Hogs but I sold it to my brother, only because I already had an AR upper in .450 Bushmaster.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    But being as this here's a 350 Legend, the most powerful handgun...does anybody even make a handgun in 350? the most powerful, uh...carbine? something? what was I talking about again?

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, I'd go with 44.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree! My older brother is the one who thought about the .350 Legend. I'm still on board with the 44.

I love hunting with my dad. I have been for over 30 years now. I think he would enjoy it more if he had a nicer gun to shoot with.
    Do you guys stalk or hunt from a stand. Most people who aren't stationary hunting, or who have a long hike to a stand, opt for a lighter firearm. The downside of the Winnies and the clones is top eject if he needs a scope

The Rossi is a bit over 5lbs with a 20" barrel (unloaded). The Marlins and the Henry's are nearly twice that. IMO if he only shoots to sight in and during the hunt, pack weight will be a more important factor than recoil (unless hunting from a stand)

Not to mention the 1892 has classic lines and is way prettier than a Marlin or a Henry will ever be

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    IMO, the .350 is a more effective round for deer with less recoil but if he wants a .44 then get him a .44.
    This.

I have a .350 Ruger American and while I like it, I'd get my dad a .44 if that's what he wanted. You can't go wrong with a .350 though. Most require scopes but iron sights can be had if you look for them.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    My son's both used a H&R .44 Mag youth single shot to learn to hunt. It will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards, is light and great platform. Recoil is less than 20 gauge shot gun, IMO. I take myself from time to time over my hunting rig due to the weight. Ammo would be the only downside for this option.

Buzzard1331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    United States
    I'm looking for a rifle to buy my dad for Christmas. He's used a 12 gauge shotgun to hunt with since I was probably 6 years old. I asked if he was hunting this year and he said that he doesn't want to use his shotgun anymore and didn't care if he went or not. I took him to the range when I bought my 6.5 Creedmoor and he enjoyed shooting it, so I asked him if he wanted me to find him one. He said he would like to have a .44 magnum to hunt with. So I started looking because he won't buy one for himself. I also ran across the .350 legend as a possible. What are your thoughts on the two?? What would be a better gun for him?
    I love my Henry .44. Bought the mount and put a scope on it, but may even take the scope off as most of my shots are less than 100 yards anymore.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Do you guys stalk or hunt from a stand. Most people who aren't stationary hunting, or who have a long hike to a stand, opt for a lighter firearm. The downside of the Winnies and the clones is top eject if he needs a scope

The Rossi is a bit over 5lbs with a 20" barrel (unloaded). The Marlins and the Henry's are nearly twice that. IMO if he only shoots to sight in and during the hunt, pack weight will be a more important factor than recoil (unless hunting from a stand)

Not to mention the 1892 has classic lines and is way prettier than a Marlin or a Henry will ever be
    We hunt from a stand, only walk to and from our stand. Provably a total of 1 mile.

Top Bottom