• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd go with the .44 Mag, which can shoot .44 SPL (deer legal) or be easily downloaded to .44 SPL level and grow with the child.

.357 maxes out with 180-200gr bullets while the .44 SPL starts there and goes up to ~300gr in the .44 Mag.

I'm already invested in the .45 Colt/.454 Casull, so in my case I would go .45 Colt for the young'uns.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Wow! I never would have thought the .44 Mag would kick more than the .30-30.
    Has anybody else had experience with both?
    Did you find the .44 to kick more than the .30-30?
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Doug

yes, the 44 mag kicks like a mule in a carbine lever. If you stick with the heavier marlin, it also has a wider stock and pad on it you probably will be fine for the younguns', but the slimer winchester/puma rifles will saw your arm off if your not reloading yourself. Yeah, Yeah i know, pull up my panties, but anybody who knows me knows I wouldn't be saying that without reason. I've had three people tell me they'd wrap it around a tree after shooting factory remington loads out of it. Bottom line, i'm a 44 mag guy (I went with a single shot rossi/H&R) but the kids might enjoy it more with the .357 :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yes, a .44 mag lever gun can kick about like a 30-30 (depending on the ergonomics of the carbine used). Since the OP question was about recoil, that's what's relavant here. To put a finer point on it here are some typical recoil numbers (they're in the context of handguns, but you can see the significant difference in recoil, if that's your concern with the young'ins):

Cartridge (gr, velocity) / pistol weight (lbs) / recoil energy (ft lbs) / recoil velocity (fps)

.357 magnum (158 gr @ 1,250 fps) / 2.75 / 8.7 / 14.3
    .44 magnum (240 gr @ 1,450 fps) / 3.0 / 22.5 / 21.0

source - Handgun Recoil - Condensed Table

The intro paragraphs to the following table explain the numbers a bit more and what typical folks might find to be tolerable recoil.
    Rifle Recoil Table

And some other articles if you want to take a stab at calculating what the recoil might be for the particular firearms you're considering:
    Calculate Recoil Energy | Outdoor Life
    Free recoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How to Easily Calculate Rifle Recoil | eHow.com
    Rifle Recoil
    Recoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Recoil Calculator
    Recoil Calculator

Last edited:

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    My S&W model 19 in 357 magnum has cleanly taken 13 deer. All were one shot kills except one which was my fault. The 357 is plenty for deer, however, if you think you'll ever be going after black bear or something that bites back, I'd opt for the 44. :twocents:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'd have to say that the 38/357mag Marlin is plenty of gun for the midwest...

It is also better suited for taking smaller game like squirrels with downloaded 38 specials and all you could want for deer, etc... with the 357 mag...

I would believe that the recoil would be better for the kids with the 38/357 marlin... but with a levergun, the recoil probally isn't un-manageable in either caliber in this size of a gun...

My .02 cents worth...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I admit that the .44 is more gun and is an absolute deer killer. However, I had no problem taking my first deer this year with a Marlin 1894c in .357. One shot, deer dropped right on the spot. Killed it so quick it didn't even empty its bladder. The .357 in a carbine is really underestimated. Recoil from the .357 is very manageable. When loaded with .38 special it is not much different then a .22 magnum in noise or recoil. I plan on starting my kids off with this rifle.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I really doubt you will notice the difference in recoil in a lever gun. The .44 I think would make a better deer caliber and its very versatile. 180 gr to 260 gr at least
    If you wanted a bit less recoil for the range, I understand that you can shoot 44 special in some of them. Do your research first though.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Just a thought, why not a Handi Rifle? Half the money and the heavy barrel and recoil pad on the stock take a lot of shock out of it. I shoot .44 spl at 50 yards for target and the magnum loads hit pretty close at that range. It kicks a bit aiming at paper but when the adrenaline is going I don't even notice it going off.

Tiki bar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Handi-rifle

Just a thought, why not a Handi Rifle? Half the money and the heavy barrel and recoil pad on the stock take a lot of shock out of it. I shoot .44 spl at 50 yards for target and the magnum loads hit pretty close at that range. It kicks a bit aiming at paper but when the adrenaline is going I don't even notice it going off.

How do you like your Handi-rifle, any trouble with accuracy etc..?

Top Bottom